ATX Community

2012 ATX Problem

ADGFINANCIAL

Client came in today with a problem on his 2012 return I did.  This year(2013) he did his own and used mine as a guide.  Changed jobs and had the time to work on his own this year which he just did.  The problem:  Line 7 Wages.

Husband has W-2 for 88,153. and Wife has W-2 for 90,302. the total is $178,455.  ATX Program carries over $185,935.  I have checked this over and over.  I don't understand this.  Now I'm worried about the rest of the 600 return I did in 2012.

Anyone else see anything like this. 

August

Client came in today with a problem on his 2012 return I did.  This year(2013) he did his own and used mine as a guide.  Changed jobs and had the time to work on his own this year which he just did.  The problem:  Line 7 Wages.

Husband has W-2 for 88,153. and Wife has W-2 for 90,302. the total is $178,455.  ATX Program carries over $185,935.  I have checked this over and over.  I don't understand this.  Now I'm worried about the rest of the 600 return I did in 2012.

Anyone else see anything like this. 

August

Do you have all the latest updates for the 2012 program?  Make sure all the entries are correct from the W-2 forms.  I/we have not experienced any problems of this nature, even with the train wreck during 2012 season.  Recheck all your inputs.  If they all seem Ok, and you have all the latest updates, delete all the W-2 forms, save and close the return, then open the return again and input the W-2 information.

If he is doing his own return, why would you prepare and sign one?  I see lots of potential problems with that process.  Also, there are many things that can add income to Line 7 other than W-2.  I would say you are probably missing something in your research of that number.  Jump to the input screen for line 7 and see what shows there.

No dependent care credit and W-2 are duplicated just as they are.  I did this return back in 2013.  I have this program totally updated.  The client just did his 2013 taxes.  I now use ProSeries for this year.  I will have to check all my 2012 8879's to see if there are errors in addition on other returns for 2012.  This has me worried.  2012 was a train wreck but I had no idea that It could be this bad.

August

No dependent care credit and W-2 are duplicated just as they are.  I did this return back in 2013.  I have this program totally updated.  The client just did his 2013 taxes.  I now use ProSeries for this year.  I will have to check all my 2012 8879's to see if there are errors in addition on other returns for 2012.  This has me worried.  2012 was a train wreck but I had no idea that It could be this bad.

August

In all the train wreck, this kind of thing was never a problem.  You are missing something.

Do all my suggestions, or not, it may be a computer issue. 

Are you aware of anything in the return, totalling 7480?  I know that's a basic question, but sometimes we get so into the situation, we overlook the obvious.  And Marco's advice is excellent, because clicking on the input worksheet shows you exactly what went into Line 7.   

• Like 1

Well I did miss something.  And the Marco advice was very helpful.  That focused in on the problem.  I had (2) 2106's in the return.  One for the Husband and one for the Wife.  Had the info switched for each with a reimbursed amount for auto expenses of $8500. This resulted in an addition to wages of $7480.  Problem solved. 

Doing an Amended.  Client getting a refund of $2,486. between Fed and NY.

Now going to redo in ProSeries 2012 and see if it will pickup this error up because ATX didn't.

Don't think it will but want to know as this has happen before but most don't get the reimbursed auto expenses so doesn't cause a problem.

Thanks to all for the help.

August

• Like 4

Well I did miss something.  And the Marco advice was very helpful.  That focused in on the problem.  I had (2) 2106's in the return.  One for the Husband and one for the Wife.  Had the info switched for each with a reimbursed amount for auto expenses of $8500. This resulted in an addition to wages of $7480.  Problem solved. 

Doing an Amended.  Client getting a refund of $2,486. between Fed and NY.

Now going to redo in ProSeries 2012 and see if it will pickup this error up because ATX didn't.

Don't think it will but want to know as this has happen before but most don't get the reimbursed auto expenses so doesn't cause a problem.

Thanks to all for the help.

August

ATX, nor any other software, will not pick up an "error" caused by entering improper numbers in a field or worksheet.  The program does not read your mind.  This was a user error not a program error.

ATX, nor any other software, will not pick up an "error" caused by entering improper numbers in a field or worksheet.  The program does not read your mind.  This was a user error not a program error.

This is very true BUT -- one of the strengths of ATX is that hop-to showing you just where the numbers feeding in to a line are coming from.  This makes the hunting down oddball problems easier.  And I say this as one who switched to Drake.  While I am now used to that program and like many things about it that I wasn't sure about at all (at first), I must say I miss that hop-to bunny!

• Like 2

This is very true BUT -- one of the strengths of ATX is that hop-to showing you just where the numbers feeding in to a line are coming from.  This makes the hunting down oddball problems easier.  And I say this as one who switched to Drake.  While I am now used to that program and like many things about it that I wasn't sure about at all (at first), I must say I miss that hop-to bunny!

Agreed, but I still get irritated when people blame EVERY problem on the software.  PEBKAC

Ok, so I reenter the return in ProSeries this Morning. The results: When I hit the 2106 the ProSeriesprompted me with a question as to whether the Form was for the Husband or Spouse. ATX did not. ATX has a check off box but doesn't ask the question. It automatically makes the choice. In final review of the return the software pickup a problem with line 7 and wouldn't clear. It didn't point me to Form 2106 but I would have check further to find the problem. Jack is right I should have caught this error But better software is the answer from humble point of view.

August @ ADG Financial

I don't expect the software to do things for me that are a regular part of any input of any document or any form.  Taxpayer/spouse is elementary.  I don't need or want software to babysit me.  I prefer the software to help with the complex and difficult issues and look for omissions or numbers in a wrong place with no correlation to other numbers or forms.

Ok, so I reenter the return in ProSeries this Morning. The results: When I hit the 2106 the ProSeries prompted me with a question as to whether the Form was for the Husband or Spouse. ATX did not. ATX has a check off box but doesn't ask the question. It automatically makes the choice. In final review of the return the software pickup a problem with line 7 and wouldn't clear. It didn't point me to Form 2106 but I would have check further to find the problem. Jack is right I should have caught this error But better software is the answer from humble point of view.

August @ ADG Financial

It's good that it did that.  In fairness, tho, if ATX cost as much as ProSeries, they could add those extra diagnostic steps too.  I have to question whether the extra cost is worth it, for most experienced preparers, tho.    

• Like 2

I always do a personal eyeball review as well as checking the final numbers with my data source forms. I especially look at line 7 total and make sure it equals the individual W2 total. If differenct, I look for the reason. Most of the time, it is my error, sometimes, it's due to the correct things coming from other than a W2.

• Like 5