ATX Community

PTIN Renewal

JJStephens

I just got a PTIN renewal notice from our friends at the IRS. I know some legal actions are pending that challenge whether the IRS has the authority to charge a fee or even to require PTINs. I have mixed thoughts about the likelihood of those lawsuits prevailing.

I usually renew early just to get it out of the way (and not forget!). This year I'm thinking about waiting to see if something comes of these court cases.

Where are some of the rest of you? Are you waiting or biting the bullet with an early renewal and hoping for a refund if the thing gets struck down?

JJ

It will take them a while before they decide what is what. Probably well after 2015 filing's.

For myself, I am going to renew as soon as IRS.gov opens the PTIN section for 2015 (currently just 2014 is active).

The same goes for NY registration as a preparer --- as soon as they get their act together and define what is CE acceptable and "open" registration for 2015, I am going to renew (my NY returns are less than 10, so there is no cost here --- except for CE cost (which hopefully will be federal CE and NOT state specific).

How does CA preparer registration work --- are the CE's for fed's considered CE's for CA or are there specific CE's for CA only?

• Like 1

From their website:

All CTEC Registered Tax Preparers (CRTP) must...

• First complete 60-hours (45 hours federal and 15 hours state) of qualifying tax education from a CTEC Approved Provider

• Obtain a PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) from the IRS

• Purchase a $5,000 tax preparer bond

• Register with CTEC within 18 months from the completion date on the certificate of completion

To renew your registration all CRTPs must...

• Complete 20-hours (10 hours federal tax law, 3 hours federal tax update, 2 hours of Ethics and 5 hours for State) of continuing tax education each year

• Maintain a valid PTIN (Preparer Tax Identification Number) from the IRS

• Maintain a $5,000 tax preparer bond

• Renew the registration by October 31st of each year

Even if the lawsuit prevails, and the IRS can no longer force us to pay for our PTIN, I feel like it will be quite some time before the dust settles and so I also am going to renew as soon  as I am aware that the website is available for 2015 renewals.  And maybe they can't force us to have  a PTIN, but I infinitely prefer it to providing my Social Security Number as identification on every tax return that I prepare.  That is what we used to do, and I was very relieved to not have to do that anymore.

Just don't dawdle when inputting some information.  I had to double check my credit card number and the system decided those extra 5 or so seconds constituted too much idle time, kicked me out and I had to do it again.  Done now, though, and ready to go. 

Like Gail, I like not using my SSN although I also have an EIN now, too.

• Like 1

Irregardless I am tying up loose ends and PTIN renewal for 2015 was open as of today.  I renewed so I have one less thing to think about.  I just filed what I thought was my last return.  I am actually on (vacation?) and a guy called me this AM and wants to bring his in on Monday (next).  I told him he had better send it up here with my husband and hope that I have a rainy day to get working on it. 

Otherwise, I pretty much have myself in order.  Supply of tax return covers are in my office; tuition is paid for continuing ed in Nov; reference books are ordered, etc.  Am hoping to get some help lined up early as people are starting to think about going South for the winter and want Organizers to take with them.  I think tomorrow I may take a day off for ME!

• Like 3

Lucky folks !!!!!

Saw your posts about renewing and again went to IRS.gov --- only to find that I STILL have to wait 1-3 weeks for regular open enrollment.

This was after telephoning the PTIN line and speaking with Michael. He had no information or idea on why some can renew "early" while others wait.

The good parts of the call were that the IRS will automatically pick-up my RTP* status, automatically place me in the AFSP (all CE requirements exceeded, etc.) and the wait time today for the PTIN line was less than one (1) minute - almost immediately.

So, congrats on renewing and having one more thing out of the way.

Wanna take a bet about getting ANY refund??

Not in this lifetime...but I think the people bringing the suit have a chance of prevailing.  The IRS is going to have to show they have the authority to impose the fee.  I don't think they have it.

But it goes to lawyers now and the ones with the most money on their side will probably win.  If the group making the suit has enough resources, it might go through.  Look at what happened with the preparer regulations.  A good well funded lawyer can do a lot.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 2

Saw your posts about renewing and again went to IRS.gov --- only to find that I STILL have to wait 1-3 weeks for regular open enrollment.

From NATP:

The IRS is sending two types of emails to certain return preparers over the next few days. The first email is a Pre-Season Login Notice. It will be sent to people who have had log-in problems for multiple years. The email encourages them to locate or reset their password now in preparation for the upcoming PTIN renewal season. There will be approximately 7,000 recipients of this message.

The second email is an Early Filer Renewal Notice, which the IRS is sending to people who renewed during the first two weeks of renewal season during each of the past two years. It advises them that they may renew early between October 6-12. This message will go to approximately 40,000 PTIN holders.

Both of these efforts are attempts to decrease stress on the PTIN system and callsite when the IRS opens renewal season for everyone on October 16.

Please note that the PTIN system will be down on October 13-15 for updates while the IRS prepares for renewal season. On October 16, the IRS will begin emailing notifications to everyone to let them know PTIN renewal season is open.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know. I just prefer to get things done while I'm thinking about it, because my thinker sometimes doesn't work like it used to, especially when I put things off! I did remember to add an Outlook reminder to renew later this month. Now, if I can just remember to check my Outlook reminders ;)

• Like 3

From NATP:

The IRS is sending two types of emails to certain return preparers over the next few days. The first email is a Pre-Season Login Notice. It will be sent to people who have had log-in problems for multiple years. The email encourages them to locate or reset their password now in preparation for the upcoming PTIN renewal season. There will be approximately 7,000 recipients of this message.

The second email is an Early Filer Renewal Notice, which the IRS is sending to people who renewed during the first two weeks of renewal season during each of the past two years. It advises them that they may renew early between October 6-12. This message will go to approximately 40,000 PTIN holders.

Both of these efforts are attempts to decrease stress on the PTIN system and callsite when the IRS opens renewal season for everyone on October 16.

Please note that the PTIN system will be down on October 13-15 for updates while the IRS prepares for renewal season. On October 16, the IRS will begin emailing notifications to everyone to let them know PTIN renewal season is open.

That is strange, because my wife and I get our PTIN's at exactly the same time every year.  I know because she does hers and mine at the same time.  I don't even know how to renew my PTIN (I hope there aren't any IRS agents trolling the board).

But I got the early renewal notice and she did not.

Yes, she is ticked that she has to wait and go get mine early.

Tom

Hollister, CA

That is strange, because my wife and I get our PTIN's at exactly the same time every year.  I know because she does hers and mine at the same time.  I don't even know how to renew my PTIN (I hope there aren't any IRS agents trolling the board).

But I got the early renewal notice and she did not.

Yes, she is ticked that she has to wait and go get mine early.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Tom,

Just explain to her that it is a chauvinist "thing"  (stress government ---- NOT YOU) --- she "for sure" will understand!