ATX Community

Pub 17

mcb39

Yikes!  There will be no paper copy of the Pub 17 this year.  Bad news for me as I like to carry this with me and reference as needed.  There is such a huge lack of available assistance from the IRS this year, it is like being thrown into the deep end of the pool and told to "sink or swim".  They already told us at classes to expect little or no telephone assistance from them.

• Like 3

I too am greatly disappointed that Pub 17 will not be available in print this year.  I always keep a copy on my desk.  When a client seems uncomfortable when I say he can or can't do something, I pull out the pub and read the rules.  This is the one place where they seem to be in plain English so the clients can understand the veracity of what I told them.  Also very well indexed so it's easy to find what you want, and you can put stickies on the pages you use a lot.

I will not print out 300 pages.  Just like I won't print out my bank statements.  Why spend my dime and time when I'm the customer?  My taxes help pay the IRS budget; they should jump when I ask.

• Like 4

Does your printer print Duplex? Go get a ream of 3 hole paper. 150 double side pages will fit in a 1/2 inch binder.

It's the principal of the thing. They keep wanting us to do more and then take away our tools. Nearly the entire RTRP Test was based on Pub 17. For what it cost me to take that test, they could furnish me with a printed copy of "the bible". I'm getting pretty disillusioned.

Would you believe I had to print out my own AFSP certificate?

• Like 3

It's the principal of the thing. They keep wanting us to do more and then take away our tools. Nearly the entire RTRP Test was based on Pub 17. For what it cost me to take that test, they could furnish me with a printed copy of "the bible". I'm getting pretty disillusioned.

Would you believe I had to print out my own AFSP certificate?

I printed mine too.  Send me a PM??  I have a couple questions about after tax season.

I download it and print out sections as needed. Incidentally, Marilyn I put my RTRP certificate in a large frame and now it's worthless. Guess who ain't hiding it ?  :P 

:P Funny!  So did I.  It is right up there on the wall with the letter of completion and the AFSP; all in matching and very impressive looking frames. 

As for the Pub 17; it has nothing in it regarding the ACA.  It refers you to Pub 5187.  Go figure.  I do have other sources of reference.

And just how does not making the tool useable change anything about the way the IRS will do what they do??

After looking at it on my tablet, it is hardly worth the effort.  I doubt that it has changed since the 2013 copy.  I have other sources of reference as well as printouts on the ACA.  The ironic thing here is that the IRS has always preached "PUB 17" as the final word.  As I said before, they almost entirely based the RTRP test on the Pub 17.  That test cost me $95 and a 200 mile trip.  How do I print that and put it in a binder?  You know that I am only kidding, Jack, but it only proves what most of us already know: the IRS will do what they do!  As far as they are concerned, we are only here to do their bidding.

• Like 2

I like Pub 17, probably as a holdover from when I took the HRB course in the  '70s.  But it is not considered authoritative for a position taken on a tax return, so it probably is time that I learned to rely more on other sources.  There are just so many changes this year - did we really have to have this one at the same time?

• Like 3