ATX Community

Tax Book

MsTabbyKats

9781118922019_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax 2015

Ms TabbyKats,

Check out this site for information and low price.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jk-lassers-your-income-tax-2015-j-k-lasser/1119451369?ean=9781118922019

This year, I made a complete change from Quickfinder (which I really liked) to the Tax Book (which, we shall see).  Then, when I found out there was not going to be a paper Pub 17, I ordered the J K Lasser's book (which I used for years exclusively when I started out).  I also rely heavily on the US Masters Tax Guide (as the final word) which is included in the Max package.  I really liked the 1040 Express Answers; but that was no longer included in the package last year.   I am a person who wants paper in her hands.  I don't like looking answers up online; particularly when the client is sitting on the other side of the desk.  They like it when I grab a book from the floor; find the answer and show it to them.  They also like it that I have more than one source of reference. 

• Like 6

I like The Tax Book Deluxe Edition spiral bound (is also three-hole punched, so you can unspiral and put in a binder) for quick answers, something in plain English to read to clients, cites to go to IRC and elsewhere for further research, etc.  However, their online version is actually easier to search, email, print out only the selection you want, whatever.

Also for paper, J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax Professional Edition.

I'm using CCH's IntelliConnect more and more as easy to search, can get explanations &/or Code &/or Tax Court &/or....  Also, easy to search, keep a folder on my computer for topics I refer to (Partnerships or CT or...), mark my favorite sources to search, print just the selection I want, email directly to a client, access from within tax prep or while searching from Chrome, IE, Google, doing more and more with IntelliConnect as I learn more about it.  Have the mobile app on my iPhone. 

• Like 4

9781118922019_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

J.K. Lasser's Your Income Tax 2015

Ms TabbyKats,

Check out this site for information and low price.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jk-lassers-your-income-tax-2015-j-k-lasser/1119451369?ean=9781118922019

Staples stores usually have the Lasser books for about that same price. If you have a savings coupon, that could be a very inexpensive reference for you. I might look for that when I go by my local Staples later today because I have a $10 off coupon on a min purchase of $10 or more.  

ETA - Sorry, folks. I checked today and these books are not available in the Staples stores yet. 

Edited by jklcpa
availability

Staples stores usually have the Lasser books for about that same price. If you have a savings coupon, that could be a very inexpensive reference for you. I might look for that when I go by my local Staples later today because I have a $10 off coupon on a min purchase of $10 or more.  

I got mine on Ebay.  That was the best price I found.  However, we don't have a Staples and I don't have a coupon.

• Like 1

Quickfinder has better cartoons than Tax Book!

Anyone notice that in the past couple of years QF doesn't give you the full scoop anymore but refers you to other QF books (Depreciation, Tax Planner, etc)?  We always get Individual and Business volumes for the office, but lately that isn't enough.

Quickfinder has better cartoons than Tax Book!

Anyone notice that in the past couple of years QF doesn't give you the full scoop anymore but refers you to other QF books (Depreciation, Tax Planner, etc)?  We always get Individual and Business volumes for the office, but lately that isn't enough.

I really didn't notice that, but I always got individual and business volumes too.  This year I opted for The Tax Book because they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.  Am not sure, though, that I like all entities in one book as it is in the Deluxe Edition Plus.  I will just have to get used to it. 

I purchase most of my tax office supplies at Amazon. I have Prime which usually gives you 2 day free shipping.

I bought toner supplies. writing pads, pens, envelopes, folders, etc. all at generally a lot less than Staples. As an example. I bought  a box of  10 x 13 Tyvek envelopes for $20 less than Staples. I just bring the Staples website and the Amazon website up on the computer and compare prices.

Amazon has the JK Lasser book for $18.  

I purchase most of my tax office supplies at Amazon. I have Prime which usually gives you 2 day free shipping.

I bought toner supplies. writing pads, pens, envelopes, folders, etc. all at generally a lot less than Staples. As an example. I bought  a box of  10 x 13 Tyvek envelopes for $20 less than Staples. I just bring the Staples website and the Amazon website up on the computer and compare prices.

Amazon has the JK Lasser book for $18.  

I always check Amazon as well as EBay before I purchase.  Since I don't have Prime, I can't always get free shipping on Amazon.  I paid $16.63 on EBay, but you really have to check around.  There is always such a wide range of prices.  But, yes, before Christmas I stocked up on all of the office supplies that I thought I might need; and all online except for two cases of paper at Office Depot, when they were running a spectacular deal.  Yesterday, I made an offer for a laser printer that I wanted for backup and got $28 off plus free shipping.  So, you just never know.  The other side of the card is accumulating EBay and/or Amazon points to spend on merchandise.  Saves me from running around in sub zero weather.

I gave up paper sources in the 90s when I saw how easy and effective search was in digital versions. Plus, trees.

I live in the heart of the paper industry, which is fast falling apart.  Our second home is in the Nicolet National Forest, where we practice proper rules of reforestation.  Trees die and need to be cut to make room for new growth.  Also, the Dept of Natural Resources has set rules for cutting and replanting for the betterment of all.  We practice wildlife protection and feeding as well as the development of future forest growth.  We cut trails and nurture the growth of wild berries and plants that would otherwise smother and die.  All sorts of trial and error tests are being performed in our National Forests to find the best ways to protect and nurture the growth of trees.  Dead and some mature trees are removed and used for firewood and lumber.  Irresponsibility crippled many of our native forests; but proper practices are bringing them back.  

I never waste paper and always print receipts and other personal things on the backsides of pages that would otherwise have been shredded.  I appreciate the fact that certain persons choose to be paperless.  I just don't happen to be one of them.  I don't like reading a book on a tablet either.  I want the paper in my hands.  Truly, I am old school.

I always check Amazon as well as EBay before I purchase.  Since I don't have Prime, I can't always get free shipping on Amazon.  I paid $16.63 on EBay, but you really have to check around.  There is always such a wide range of prices.  But, yes, before Christmas I stocked up on all of the office supplies that I thought I might need; and all online except for two cases of paper at Office Depot, when they were running a spectacular deal.  Yesterday, I made an offer for a laser printer that I wanted for backup and got $28 off plus free shipping.  So, you just never know.  The other side of the card is accumulating EBay and/or Amazon points to spend on merchandise.  Saves me from running around in sub zero weather.

You have PLENTY of that where you live!  I have first hand experience!!

• Like 1

You have PLENTY of that where you live!  I have first hand experience!!

We've been having it for the last two weeks and it is getting old.  Last year and this year were not the norm for us.  Hate IT!  But, am sure the Southern States that are getting hit hard, hate it way more than I do, because we are prepared.

• Like 2