ATX Community

NT / Turn Around Time Today

RitaB

The high here on Sunday is forecast to be -2; the low -15 with -35 degree wind chills.  Come on man!!!!!

Oh well - the springs, summer and fall here make these days tolerable.  I can almost hear the hum of the mower in my ears with the sun on the back of my neck.  The sign at the end of my driveway when you turn on to my property reads "A gift from God".  The sign over my front door (on the inside) says "Heaven is a little closer on the porch".  That pretty much sums it up.  I feel warmer already!  Come on winter - give it your best shot!

• Like 4

It was cold and windy here last night. Lows tonight and the next few are to be 11, 4, 0, and 6.  High wind advisory in effect until Sun 2pm with winds 25-35, gusting up to 60 mph and that may cause power outages.

I'm getting out the big poofy coat that makes me look like the michelin man, or the little brother Randy in the movie "The Christmas Story" that fell down in his snowsuit and wasn't bendable enough to get back up.  Yep, that will be me.

attachicon.gifWinter.jpg

Just an aside:

On the news they had a segment about kids in car seats being "LESS PROTECTED" when dressed in those "puffy" coats, etc. (straps over clothing; compresses a lot when forced front, etc.) and you get injuries by banging into straps /// where as, if in something like a sweatshirt or light coat the straps are closer to body and hold you closer to seat so there is less travel to hit restraint (seatbelt) so less injury...

I mention this because if true for kids, it may be something adults might think about when traveling (driving or riding) since many of use do not take our coats off but jump right in.

Especially those wearing "big poofy" Michelin man coats --- I (we all) want those here safe and well, if for nothing else than sharing their knowledge with us.     The extra we get from "picking" (happily) on each other is that we all keep thinking and growing --- if we all agree, we would be bored.

Except for New England --- let-it-snow, let-it-snow, let-it-snow!    One of the benefits of being in a lot   :P .

This morning's joyful news...

Catherine,

Here in Austin, I'm not familiar with negative temperatures. And as a "night person" not very familiar with "7:32 AM," either. Except for the rare time I'm up "that late" working.

Sudoku & Reversi, on the other hand....

Edited by Kea
  • Like 1

I feel bad for you all back east, but I am actually not happy that it is in the upper 70's this weekend.  I had to cancel my trip to go skiing with my boys on Presidents day.  So we are going to Santa Cruz on Monday and check out the beach weather.  Hope I don't get sunburned riding the Giant Dipper.

Tom

Newark, CA

Catherine, what's it like living inside a snow globe that someone keeps shaking up?

I keep waiting for the snow globes to turn to wire trolleys (shopping carts) and then to shopping malls.  

[Read Sir Terry Pratchett's "Reaper Man" where Death himself is put on layoff by the Auditors, and shopping malls are parasitic life forms that feed off cities.  They hatch from eggs that look like snow globes and have a juvenile phase as shopping trolleys.]  

• Like 2

Catherine, you've been snowbound too long!

Possibly.  But I also *highly* recommend Sir Terry's Diskworld books.  But not for public transportation; you WILL suddenly laugh out loud when one of his inimitable zingers comes up!  And then people will look at you like you're dangerous or something.  Or at least they used to, before they were all plugged in to their i-things.

• Like 1

SaraEA..........I have also noticed that many of the early returns are ending up owing or getting noticeably smaller refunds than usual.  Very unusual this early to have to tell someone that they have a balance due; for no apparent reason. :dunno:

Marilyn,  Sounds like it's time to open the Comparison form...but hooray for you if your clients will let it slide that they have a balance due for "no apparent reason". The Comparison form will let you nail what happened in 2014 that was different in 2013.  I usually find a change in jobs together with a change in withholding (claiming more exemptions) is usually the culprit. Once I show my clients that it was THEM and not my preparation skills, they leave satisfied with plans to correct their withholding....or plans to call me BEFORE they take an early distribution from a retirement account as 20% is usually not enough withholding tax.  On second thought, maybe you do have the right idea with the "no apparent reason" theory.   ^_^

Take care,

Cathy

• Like 5

Actually, I have been addressing the issues with these clients.  The part that is hard to understand is that some of them have not changed their exemptions; although there are some that have to.  I am recommending Married withholding at a Single rate for those who are already at zero.  I know in many cases it is the result of the payroll program computations and/or the addition of part-time jobs which are withholding next to nothing.  Nobody is blaming me; at least not to my face, but I don't like it when it nags at me.  I have to find a reason.   Some of the problem is so many new clients from HRB, Liberty, etc; who got no financial guidance in prior years.  Way too much distress for my tired brain to handle this early in the season.