ATX Community

Form 8283 - Fair Market Value vs. Amount Claimed

Yardley CPA

I'm curious how you complete form 8283 on items like donation of clothes, shoes and housewares?.  Is the amount you use as Fair Market Value the same as the Amount Claimed As Deduction? 

On items like clothing, shoes and housewares, I normally indicate the method to determine FMV as being Thrift Shop Value.  Does anyone have an approximate percentage that reflects Thrift Shop Value?  I've normally seen 15% to 20% of the cost or adjusted basis as being Thrift Shop Value.  Thoughts? 

Most taxpayers overstate the value of their donations by factors of 5 or more.

I tell clients to value them for what they would buy them for at a garage sale.  Not one cent more.  This is what Thrift Shop Value is based on.

I also inform them of the IRS requirements that they have an itemized list of what was given, the value assigned, and how they arrived at that amount.

I generally use 1/3 of the value...

some of the sites actually will give a ridiculously high value and some way too low.

I also recommend they take pics as they put in or at the very least a list and pics of the bags, boxes and items and get the receipt from the organization. Print the pics and put into their tax folder.

They are quite receptive to that.

"Generally" a big bag or big box is about $100 - price it out - unless coats, suits, fancy wear - then it is more. consider - childrens clothing less $$ but more in the box so from someone who donates - this is about average (and should do a ton more this May)

D

• Like 2

Funny how highly some clients value their junk. Every now and then I'll ask one if they would pay that much for the items they describe if they saw it in a thrift shop. One (former client) gave me an especially revealing answer - they don't visit thift shops to buy, but the people who do would gladly pay that.

Translation after taking into account their demeanor and overall snooty attitude - "It's beneath my dignity to buy it used, but at that price it's a bargain for the riff-raff."

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 4

I also recommend they take pics as they put in or at the very least a list and pics of the bags, boxes and items and get the receipt from the organization. Print the pics and put into their tax folder.

They are quite receptive to that.

One of the funniest stories I ever heard - an accountant friend recommended client take pictures of donated items. Client came in the following year with pictures of seven black garbage bags.

• Like 7