ATX Community

NT / Dear Client 2015

RitaB

Microsoft will occasionally send you a "warning" that your update settings need to be changed.  Microsoft WANTS you to update automatically.

I do not and never have - it's the first thing I change.  Too many times one of their "updates" breaks something else.  I wait a day or three and make sure there are no reports of "latest update causes Adobe Reader to become non-functional" or whatever.  THEN I deign to install.  

So when you make the change and then see that message - ignore it.

• Like 3

Dear Client,

Yes, I know that you are a used car salesman and your time is much more valuable than mine.  To that end, let me save us both some time and tell you that yes, I am quite sure child support is not deductible (even if all your buddies are doing it), and regardless of what your employer told you, the shirts, ties and khaki's you wear to work every day are not "specialized" clothing and therefore not deductible, and oh, you were also grossly misinformed by whoever told you that the 5 miles you drive from your home to work every day are deductible.  They are not.  I also seriously doubt that your cell phone is being used 100% for business since in the short time we've been in this interview you have used it to a) call your wife, b ) text your church's treasurer for info about your charitable deductions, and c) look up your babysitter's address.  I am painfully aware that you do not want to "take it up the tailpipe" from the IRS as you so eloquently stated.  This is not my first rodeo.  I will do my best to make sure your return is done accurately and in a way that best benefits you within the limits of the law and tax code.  Give me a little credit here. Geeez!

That is all.  Thank you and have a nice day.

• Like 10

Dear Client,

Thank you for telling me you are going to owe "them bastards" $10,000 when you dropped off. I would have never known that if you hadn't clued me in. Also, thanks for explaining to me what a 1099-R is cause I would never have known that you took money out of your 401k early from these forms and the fact that you are 45. It's like Mission Impossible deducing what these strange looking papers mean. Thank God I have you to help me muddle through. And guess what? It's more like $15,000.

• Like 8

He's 45 and taking money out of his 401(k)? 

Probably an advanced  tax planning technique.

I think it's more of a "Mid-Life-Crises-How-Many-Cars-Can-I-Buy" technique as he has provided me with the sales tax amount for three vehicles purchased in 2014. But I ain't judging or anything.

• Like 3