ATX Community

NT / Dear Client 2015

RitaB

Dear Client,

It is really not necessary for you to come in to ask me what to do about your not having that K-1 yet.  You know, the one you never get until April, and that has caused an amended return in our past.  God made a thing called a telephone for situations like this.  And, no, I do not need for you to bring in the rest of your stuff so I can get started.  I don't need to get started.  I need to get finished.  That's how this works. 

• Like 8

Dear client:  Please stop calling me to tell me that your state refund has not been processed yet.  I cannot control the state office, and I do not know when they will process it.  I have told you on 2 previous phone calls that the return is shown as accepted and that the state does call for up to 8 weeks to process your return.  I do not care that your brother-in-law already got his refund, but I will remind you that he came in and PAID me about 3 weeks sooner than you did so therefore his return was processed about 3 weeks sooner than yours.......Are you really that desperate for the money?  then please go to the rapid refund people next year!

• Like 8

Dear Client-

Do you remember 2013, when you asked me to do your return.  And I did it...but you didn't like the results (you owed NY about $200)...so I didn't hear from you again.  That is, until this morning...when you sent me 2 W-2s with a total income of about $70,000....and there was $2000 in federal withholding and about the same for NY.  And to add....your wife did MFS...with a standard deduction.  Why did you get annoyed when I told you that you would have to pay in advance before I would even touch your return?

• Like 6

Dear Client: 

I'm too busy right now to waste time with reasons. 

Stop wasting my time (and yours) asking "why?" .

Just take my word for it that I'm not interested in preparing your return. 

Then you can do something constructive, like find someone who will put up with your whining & pestering.

Oh, and expect to pay them well (on time, in full, and without complaining).

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 7

lol - You guys are too much. I guess here is mine for the day.

Dear Client: Your K-1s for the S-Corp that you emailed me about this morning will be ready when you pay the statement for the end of the year that I have sent you three times already.

Dear Client: Really? You made six figure income in 2014 with just the two of you on the return and now you have to pay back the $4,000 advanced premium credit you received and you do not understand?

Dear Client: No - the $40,000 you paid cash for land is still not deductible and is still not a like kind exchange.

There you go - those are all already from this morning and it is just 4 hours into the week. It can only get better, right?

• Like 9

Dear Client,

Oh, you sold a rental, and your daughter-in-law, who is an EA, told you it will help if you tell me you added a porch in 1968?  Do tell.  Congrats on making a fortune on the sale.  Sorry that your daughter-in-law didn't tell you that you added that porch in 2013.

• Like 5

lol - You guys are too much. I guess here is mine for the day.

Dear Client: Your K-1s for the S-Corp that you emailed me about this morning will be ready when you pay the statement for the end of the year that I have sent you three times already.

Dear Client: Really? You made six figure income in 2014 with just the two of you on the return and now you have to pay back the $4,000 advanced premium credit you received and you do not understand?

Dear Client: No - the $40,000 you paid cash for land is still not deductible and is still not a like kind exchange.

There you go - those are all already from this morning and it is just 4 hours into the week. It can only get better, right?

The actual crime here is that the repayment is capped at $1,500.  They just pocketed $2,500 in yours and my tax money!  ALL LEGIT!! 

I am on the wrong side of the ethics fence...

Edited by Jack from Ohio
  • Like 3

The actual crime here is that the repayment is capped at $1,500.  They just pocketed $2,500 in yours and my tax money!  ALL LEGIT!! 

I am on the wrong side of the ethics fence...

No, this is incorrect.  Ron's client has 6-digit income.  The cap only comes into play if the person is eligible for the PTC, received a large enough excess that it exceeds the cap for their filing status, then the repayment is capped.   If the person exceeds 400% of the FPL and is totally INELIGIBLE for the PTC at all, then there is NO CAP, all must be repaid.

• Like 4

No, this is incorrect.  Ron's client has 6-digit income.  The cap only comes into play if the person is eligible for the PTC, received a large enough excess that it exceeds the cap for their filing status, then the repayment is capped.   If the person exceeds 400% of the FPL and is totally INELIGIBLE for the PTC at all, then there is NO CAP, all must be repaid.

I think in the span of this tax season, Judy has moved to the head of the class as the board's "go to" expert on ACA.   It has been impressive to watch.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 10

Dear Client.,

Remember when I told you yes you can deduct your dependent parents medical expenses that you pay for, but I told you to be prepared to have the amount questioned because of the very high amount you are claiming.   Remember when I told you if they question it they will most likely ask for the SS numbers of the nurses you are paying cash to, to take care of your parents and the IRS or State may check to see if the nurses declared that money.

And now that the State is questioning it your asking if you have to give them the information on the nurses because part of the deal was you, pay them in cash and they work for less.

• Like 4

Oh no, not at all. I hardly have any clients affected, they are mostly older people with Medicare. I just had a little extra time early on to read up on it, and used some of the harder questions posted here as learning for myself too. 

Well, Dear Colleague, you have been a wonderful teacher this season, and we are grateful for the help and manner in which you assist.  100 points to you.  :wub:

• Like 6

You are correct Judy.  I know more about this nonsense than I ever wanted to and last night while doing this return was another learning moment.  I kept looking at that $4,000 and knew that could not be correct because of the cap.  And I kept looking at the poverty % and knew that they should never have had the APTC (well according to the 2013 return, they did qualify).  And I kept thinking, it just would not be fair for them to be able to keep the $2,500.  And when I finished my research, I was amazed that there was actually some fairness built into the rules.  I felt better about finishing the return.

• Like 6

Dear Client:  Despite what you heard at work, NO...there is no "Grace Period" that allows you to claim that your child born on Jan 2,2015 was born on 12/31/14 for tax purposes.

...but thanks for bringing up that questions AFTER I filed your return with a 12/31/14 birth date per your information.  Now you get to pay back a chunk of that refund and pay me for an amended return.  Thank the ladies at work for me!

• Like 8

Dear maybe client: you are a total douche and I understand why your wife isn't pissed you asked for a divorce. Bullying her into filing joint just because you owe a lot of tax because you emptied your 401(k) to pay child support isn't currying any favor with me. And that brief you prepared yourself to file with the court? Not gonna win you any points with the judge, even if they did use the wrong factor to compute your child support.

• Like 2

Dear maybe client: you are a total douche and I understand why your wife isn't pissed you asked for a divorce. Bullying her into filing joint just because you owe a lot of tax because you emptied your 401(k) to pay child support isn't currying any favor with me. And that brief you prepared yourself to file with the court? Not gonna win you any points with the judge, even if they did use the wrong factor to compute your child support.

Please tell me you made that up and it is not for real?

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 2

Nope, the wife (my client) forwarded his email, plus the attachments which were the brief he filed in court and a summary of divorce laws in MA. The email was basically a threat, that If she filed separate he would sue for half the refund, plus some other nasty stuff, including how could she claim the daughter as a dependent when he paid X dollars in child support and 68% of her college tuition. Because dad lives in CA now, and she spends absolutely no time with dad?

He was also bitching in the brief about her AirBnB income....income that was levied by the IRS for back taxes he was supposed to pay on one of the joint returns filed after he left.

He's supposed to send me his stuff today.

Dear Clients.....my 6:30 PM client rescheduled for three weeks out (Yeah!!!); I have a 2:00 hair appointment and have no idea what time I will be home on this beautiful, sunny 50 degree day.  A am actually going shopping for necessities and might even buy myself some flowers, Rita!

Dear Hair Salon Client....(who just called)  I am coming there to have my hair done, not to discuss your tax situation and the fact that I cannot read your writing and/or you are upset because you don't want anyone else in the salon hearing what we are talking about.  You just blasted a hole in my beautiful day!!!!

• Like 4