ATX Community

Just wondering - anyone going to stop at their local H&R daily to see if they can get the $1,000 payoff (good thru sometime in Feb

easytax

Since H&R is just giving away a million dollars a day ($1,000 x 1,000 people = 1 million), anyone here going to stop by each day, weekly, etc. to see if they are the lucky one ---- "no purchase necessary" according to ad's?   Not as good a payoff as PowerBall but better odds.

s/       Take time off from your business (just work till 0300 hr. instead of 0200 hr. to make it up.  Brief stroll, get a coffee (tea) and become richer at your competitor's expense?????

Have a GREAT SEASON!

• Like 4

I get so annoyed at those commercials, and even more so by the fact that they actually work.  It says something about the wisdom of a populace when many choose a tax preparer based on gaming practices, for lack of a better description.  Yes, I know there are many fine preparers in the store front operations.  That's not an important selling point.  Apparently.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, JRS said:

The Turbo Tax commercials are the worst and most degrading not only to Preparers but to the general public.

Reminds me of the Slickster Attorney Ambulance Chaser commercials.  You can smell the After-Shave through the TV.  And that suit.  GAH.

• Like 3

Sounds simple. It's just more sleazy advertising. You just don't walk into an HRB office and enter the drawing.

You  have to have a tax return prepared and paid for. The no purchase option  requires a hand written

3 x 5 note card with your name, address, dob, email , home phone - and responses to three questions, which is then enclosed in an envelope and mailed in

to a special address.

Furthermore, only one entry per person is allowed.  

http://www.hrblock.com/pdf/1000-terms-and-conditions.pdf

On ‎01‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, JRS said:

The Turbo Tax commercials are the worst and most degrading not only to Preparers but to the general public.

I would like to see one of those Intuit "genius" commercials tackle the ACA for a self employed person on the exchange and show how many iterations of the calculations they do to come up with the right amount of SE Health Insurance Deduction and Premium Subsidy.  Lets see them explain that in a 30 second commercial?

I keep thinking of the woman (sister of the client) who came into my office who "prepared" the prior year returns for a couple who came to me because they were under audit.  The clients asked her to come in because they did not know the answers to any of the questions I was asking.  The audit had to do with 5 rentals that were throwing large losses and the deductions for those rental losses.  I asked her how she came up with the deductible loss on the rentals and she said "I just kept clicking on different answers in Turbo Tax until I got the highest refund".

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 9

On 1/23/2016 at 0:54 PM, BulldogTom said:

I asked her how she came up with the deductible loss on the rentals and she said "I just kept clicking on different answers in Turbo Tax until I got the highest refund".

Tom
Newark, CA

Yes, that's how most non-professional people do it, actually.  They somehow convince themselves that "the program" will not give them any "wrong" choices, only valid options.  Crazy, sure, but it does make a kind of weird logic.  

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:20 PM, kcjenkins said:

Yes, that's how most non-professional people do it, actually.  They somehow convince themselves that "the program" will not give them any "wrong" choices, only valid options.  Crazy, sure, but it does make a kind of weird logic.  

Betcha they could make a dent in the national debt just by auditing all DIY returns.  It doesn't take a genius to get audited, right?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

The sad part is - i am losing a couple of big clients to HR block this year.  

It will only be for one year.  When they return for tax year 2016, a price increase is in order.  I call those kind of clients "retreads."  I raise my cost to them a bit closer to what they paid at H&R.  At this point, I have approx. 225 clients and 25 are retreads.

• Like 2