ATX Community

2016 tax season work flow compared to 2015 tax season

JimTaxes

Coming in really early.   Some ARE waiting for their ACA info.  However, last year we couldn't even file at this time.  When I compare book for book, about the same clients as last year for Jan as well as some new ones.  Feb book is half full.  I didn't even send out a letter this year, so am pleased, I guess.:huh:

• Like 1

I am finishing up 1099's and W-2's for clients.  One drop-off so far (self-employed and he owes me stuff so I haven't looked at it yet).  The one other appointment I had postponed as he has NO documents yet.  Three clients with partial documents sent in (my assistant, his fiancee, my younger daughter).  Lots of engagement letters coming in.  Lots of questions from business clients.  A few QB files have arrived for business clients - haven't looked at them yet past getting W-2 and 1099 info out of them.  We don't have Dec bank/credit card statements (mainly the latter as they are not month-end but mid-month dates) to finish recon's yet so no point.

Personally I am thrilled that the season is starting a bit slowly.  Gwen (out of college, working, but living at home while saving money for her own place) came down with mono late last week and I have reverted to mom-nurse as she is too exhausted to do much of anything for herself.  Indications last night of the acute phase winding down, thankfully.  Poor kid; she has been SO sick.

My last year's notes show lots of papers starting to come in the first week of February but I have had no calls yet from those folks.  Don't have notes on when people called to make those early appointments, though.

• Like 3

Never a dull moment around here.  We blew through the preparation of our quarterly and annual payroll reports and our 1099s (still waiting for info for about a half dozen of those).  The general consensus in the office is that the payroll reports and 1099s have gone smoother this year than ever - and we did not do any fewer.  Moved from payroll reports and 1099s to a financial statement audit and finished that yesterday.  And in the meantime we are wrapping up year end financials.  Somewhere in that mix, we did payroll tax deposits and sales tax reports.  And I have completed five corporate returns and two individuals.  All of that - and I am just treading water.  The work will continue to come in steadily for the next eight to twelve weeks.  Our cut off this year is March 20th.  Anyone showing up after that day will be extended.  Back to this month - I have oft said that January is far and away the busiest month in my practice.  This one has been no different.  If not one more thing came into the office to do, I am good with work for about three weeks.

• Like 2

About the same as any other year. I do only a handful to returns in January - February 1st tends to be the watershed moment.

50% of my income comes from an estate attorney who brings me his client's returns. Every year the first one is right around February 5th. Another attorney is likely going to start doing that - he's informed me Feb 19th is when he'd start delivering. Haven't heard from the new guy in over a month so we'll see. My co-worker yelled at him on the phone so we'll see.

• Like 1

I'm still doing W-2s, 1099s and quarterlies. I hate payroll! I'm not taking tax appointments until Monday. I had a drop off of 12,13,and 14. ( They won't be done quickly) A couple current drop offs and some questions that will take me pretty much doing the returns without all of the information to answer. I'm still working on my letters. If my family members would stay out of the hospital, it would really help out. I did find out from ATX yesterday that I can use my laptop and remote in through my VPN without needing another license. That's great to know, but the wifi is public. At least I can work on the laptop and move it with a flash drive. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

I'm still doing W-2s, 1099s and quarterlies. I hate payroll! I'm not taking tax appointments until Monday. I had a drop off of 12,13,and 14. ( They won't be done quickly) A couple current drop offs and some questions that will take me pretty much doing the returns without all of the information to answer. I'm still working on my letters. If my family members would stay out of the hospital, it would really help out. I did find out from ATX yesterday that I can use my laptop and remote in through my VPN without needing another license. That's great to know, but the wifi is public. At least I can work on the laptop and move it with a flash drive. 

In a pinch, I use my IPhone as my hotspot, and I have GoToMyPC so I can access my home desktop from anywhere. It is rare that I need to do that, but it works well for me.

• Like 3