ATX Community

tax prep and k-1

TAXMAN

I know we all see them all the time. K-1 from partnership with a bunch of states listed on back with varying amounts of income or loss. Question is how many of us prepare those non resident tax returns for states that have income taxes? Since it takes a load of time to check each state out how would you bill for these. I have a TP who has 5 different K-1's. This could present a very real problem not to mention a very high bill. Your thoughts please. Many thanks. Where would we draw the line on ethics concerning this matter?

Edited by TAXMAN
added second question

I prepare nonresident state tax returns when the amount of income requires it and bill accordingly.  It takes a lot less time to check each state's filing requirement than it does to prepare a tax return.  Would I prepare and bill for a return that was under the filing requirement just to plump up a fee?  No.  I might tack on a few bucks for the time it takes me to look up the filing requirement.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TAXMAN said:

Randall, would you mind sharing that list please? I believe that would be something that most of us could use.

That's something that that is found in all good research/reference materials.  I know that RIA, CCH and The Tax Book have sections or online links to a state section that covers this. 

Taxman, I assume you are a current user of The Tax Book since you've posted on that forum during this season.

• Like 2

I like www.taxadmin.org/state-tax-agencies   And BTW, I love all of you, don't know what I'd do without you.  Like a former life of mine, sitting around the kitchen table in a ghetto firehouse....there's no problem we can't solve.  Now here, still putting out fires and finding our way through the smoke, and depending on each other.  You don't find that kind of comraderie everywhere.  You're the best.

Bill

• Like 6