ATX Community

Up All Night?

FDNY

I'm a very early riser (and early to bed), I do get a ton of work done early and like to check in here for breaks.  But this morning I happened to notice that one of our Super Stars has been up all night.  I hope it's not insomnia and she is taking care of herself because they don't pay us enough to lose sleep.

• Like 4

I sometimes leave my machine on when it's backing up as I want to leave and I'm not willing to wait until it finishes.  There are also night owls here who start work at 5PM and go overnight.  I hope we're all taking the time to sleep!

I have gotten VERY cranky about needy clients.  If they're not willing to stay up for me, I'm not willing to stay up for them.  End of story.  And don't even TALK to me about those who want fast turn-around so they can go on vacation for three weeks.  Those people come closer and closer to getting dope-slapped (I won't -- but I *will* think about it!).  

• Like 5

Yeah, getting all the We're-going-on-Spring-break-so-I'm-ready-to-sign-my-returns-before-we-leave calls now.

I get a lot more work done after the phone stops ringing (even though I let it go to voice mail, the flashing light won't let me forget) and after my husband goes to bed.  I still haven't trained him to stop coming in and sitting down in my office, not to talk to me when I'm in my office.  I close the door, ignore him, think aloud so I keep my train of thought when he interrupts, bluntly explain what I need; maybe he's un-trainable.  I go to bed when I'm too tired to work.  Then, I sleep late, letting all the calls and emails collect in my inbox, hopefully answering all the questions I sent late the night before.  It's usually faster than talking to clients who jump right into politics or their upcoming trip!  I have to sleep four hours per night in my CPAP (97% compliant) or Medicare won't pay for the machine and supplies.  Six hours is enough to work, usually. Now, I have my alarm off except when I have morning appointments, and have been sleeping seven.  But, I look forward to eight or nine for a couple months to fully unwind after the 18th.

• Like 5

Glad you're OK.  I'm an early bird and when I checked in to catch up and saw you posting all thru the early hours I just wanted to be sure you weren't burning the midnight oil.  I've been there and know what that can do to you.  I'm guilty too because sometimes I wake up at 1am if I fell asleep at 7pm and I need to be extremely quiet going up to the top floor home office, but Allie my little Yorkie runs to keep me company (see her on my profile page). 

Now we have to work on Possi to make sure she gets her beauty sleep, because working all night requires time and a half pay, that's union scale for tax preparers.  Norma Ray told me this.

• Like 5

If it was me, I was in the middle of a post and never finished it until this morning.  Last night, after spending and hour & 45 minutes with a new client that will be worth it; needs extensive planning work and understands 'extension' and 'May', I got dinner, played with dog, watched Justified.  Checked on some efiles.  Then my roommate/2nd assistant/mother hen told me I was going to bed.  No phone, no iPad, I could read some comic books if I need to relax to get to sleep.  So in bed just after midnight, asleep before 2, got 9 hours of blissful sleep.  Still really tired but ready to attack a few more returns.

• Like 4

Or was it me?!!!!  I'm on late at night also. I seem to be operating on West coast time, and I'm surviving on about 5 hrs of sleep a night at this point.  Sometimes I might fall asleep and get back up to give the dog some medicine and I'll check in on the forum again at 2 or 3am.  

• Like 2

That's funny because I was talking about Lion (after she put hubby to bed), but now I see some of us all have a common thread here, we all have dogs so we must be on canine time.  We're always awake and alert, ready for whatever life has to dish out.

Don't think I have too much time on my hands to ponder these things, but I was a detective before I was a fireman.  BTW, did you change the batteries in your smoke detectors when the clocks went ahead?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FDNY said:

That's funny because I was talking about Lion

This is hysterical, cause I thought it had to be Yardley CPA because of posts two and three, and I was scratching my head cause Yardley sure is a masculine looking gal.

• Like 4

Did you have to mention dogs and smoke detectors in the same post?  lol   My husband frequently sets off the alarm with his cooking because he burns things under the broiler, and now the dog practically panics when she sees him working around the stove or oven.  The other night I was sitting on my outdoor office steps with with her in my arms and in stocking feet and no coat until that blasted thing stopped its chirping, and by then MY dinner was as cold as I was.

• Like 3