ATX Community

Maybe IRS letter 12C question Has anyone seen one of these?

My mom received a letter that looks like it's from the IRS in Austin, but there is no PO Box, just Austin, TX 73301-0034. It is just to my step-dad and has his SS#. It says that they have received his 2015 1040A and need more info to process it accurately. They have a joint return on extension. It is a LTR 12C, which according to the IRS website, is supposed to be for form 8962. Of course, I can't get through to the IRS at any of their normal numbers and the PPS has already hung up on me after getting me all excited after 35 minutes when it told me to get ready. I've been researching and there actually are fake IRS letters. The letter looks official and has a box to check if you did not file this return, but I am afraid to send it back in case it's fake. If the LTR number corresponded to the one on the IRS website, I wouldn't think much of it. Of course both of my parents are freaking out. 

Thanks if anyone knows anything about these letters.

1 hour ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

My mom received a letter that looks like it's from the IRS in Austin, but there is no PO Box, just Austin, TX 73301-0034. It is just to my step-dad and has his SS#. It says that they have received his 2015 1040A and need more info to process it accurately. They have a joint return on extension. It is a LTR 12C, which according to the IRS website, is supposed to be for form 8962. Of course, I can't get through to the IRS at any of their normal numbers and the PPS has already hung up on me after getting me all excited after 35 minutes when it told me to get ready. I've been researching and there actually are fake IRS letters. The letter looks official and has a box to check if you did not file this return, but I am afraid to send it back in case it's fake. If the LTR number corresponded to the one on the IRS website, I wouldn't think much of it. Of course both of my parents are freaking out. 

Have your step-father call the identity theft phone number, 1-800-908-4490.  I had my first ever id theft issue with a new client, and she called on a Saturday and got through in a short amount of time, was able to verify her identity over the telephone, and the agent confirmed that someone had tried to file a return with her SSN.  In your father's case, the IRS system may have picked up on something on that 1040A that stopped the processing of the fraudulent return.  They will still have to paper file, but hopefully this will not be that difficult to resolve.

• Like 1

Thanks, Judy. I'm going to have to have him make a mark on a 2848 for me, because he can't talk most days. He has Parkinson's and is in very bad shape at the nursing home. My Mom has a POA for him, but I'm going to get a 2848 from her too, because it will affect their joint return. She can call the IRS, but she's so upset, it's better for me to do as much as I can. 

22 minutes ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

Thanks, Judy. I'm going to have to have him make a mark on a 2848 for me, because he can't talk most days. He has Parkinson's and is in very bad shape at the nursing home. My Mom has a POA for him, but I'm going to get a 2848 from her too, because it will affect their joint return. She can call the IRS, but she's so upset, it's better for me to do as much as I can. 

The IRS will only talk to the taxpayer concerning identity theft issues.  PERIOD.  I don't know how you will resolve this, but that rule is unbreakable.

On this IRS page for tax preparers re: identity theft, the third bullet point in the section "Did someone file a tax return or W-2 using your client’s SSN?" says:

To inquire about specific client return information, you must have a power of attorney on file, and you must authenticate your identity with the IRS customer service representative.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

On this IRS page for tax preparers re: identity theft, the third bullet point in the section "Did someone file a tax return or W-2 using your client’s SSN?" says:

To inquire about specific client return information, you must have a power of attorney on file, and you must authenticate your identity with the IRS customer service representative.

Let me know how that works.  I have first hand experience.  The IRS will only talk to the Taxpayer whose information has been compromised.  I don't care what you see on the website. 

1 hour ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Let me know how that works.  I have first hand experience.  The IRS will only talk to the Taxpayer whose information has been compromised.  I don't care what you see on the website. 

They will have a hell of a time speaking to him. He can barely speak or move anything. We have to try to read his lips. Maybe they can come to the nursing home and see how he is completely dependent on a caretaker at all times. 

• Like 5

NECPA - get the POA and have it ready to fax to the IRS.  I dealt with this issue last year, and although it took us several months to resolve, the IRS will talk with you and help you through the process.   You will need patience and maybe have to dial up the ID theft phone number several times to just get through - but they will (despite Jack's quote) talk with you once you fax them the POA.   You will most likely have to paper file the return and attach a Form 14039 with that return.

• Like 6

First:

Finish their return.

Second:

Get the POA.  It can't hurt

Third:

Tell your mother and Step-Father: ITS NOT YOUR FAULT, or their fault.  Its the IRS's fault.

The fraudster has already filed a return (1040A) for your step-father.  The Letter 12C is just saying that that the fraudster claimed the PTC in order to increase the refund. 

Not your fault.  The IRS's fault.

Only your mother and step-father can speak to the IRS, and an office visit may be required to clear it up.  You can go with your mother, but the IRS is really weird in these situations.

Sorry about all this.  But its a PITA.

Rich

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richcpaman said:

Only your mother and step-father can speak to the IRS, and an office visit may be required to clear it up.  You can go with your mother, but the IRS is really weird in these situations.

If it goes this far (as in, they won't speak to you with a POA by phone), get a letter from your dad's doctor, too, stating his inability to speak and go in himself.

• Like 1

Since the identity theft is not handled by every office, I doubt that they will need to see anyone. I am not going to borrow trouble and just assume that the 2848 will be fine. I have talked to other CPA's and Ea's that have handled it. The less stress that this causes my parents, the better. Mom if finishing up her info so that I can file their return.Thanks everyone!

30 minutes ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

Since the identity theft is not handled by every office, I doubt that they will need to see anyone. I am not going to borrow trouble and just assume that the 2848 will be fine. I have talked to other CPA's and Ea's that have handled it. The less stress that this causes my parents, the better. Mom if finishing up her info so that I can file their return.Thanks everyone!

Let us know how that course of action works.

On 5/2/2016 at 3:45 PM, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

It is a LTR 12C, which according to the IRS website, is supposed to be for form 8962. 

The letter looks official and has a box to check if you did not file this return, but I am afraid to send it back in case it's fake. If the LTR number corresponded to the one on the IRS website, I wouldn't think much of it. Of course both of my parents are freaking out. 

Letter 12C is a request for additional information after a return has been received. It is not specific to any form.

The address is a legitimate IRS address.  There is no PO Box as the IRS has the entire 73301 zip code.  This is the case with all of their 15 or so regional offices. Seattle, Fresno, KC, Phila, Cinci, etc.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I did get to speak to the IRS today about this letter for my step-father. The efile rejected, as expected, so I called the PPL and they were very helpful. He did let me know that the letter was indeed legit, and that they had received our response and the earlier return was rejected with no refund being issued. He did ask me a lot of questions to verify my identity and both of my POA's. I hope that this doesn't take forever to resolve, since I get asked daily about it. :lol: I love my Mom, but she worries about everything! 

• Like 4

I have dealt with two of these letters and as Max W stated they are legitimate. In my case, I filed both returns and both were accepted. These forms are generated due to the taxpayer claiming the PTC and not reconciling using form 8962. Both returns, in my case, were a result of the insurance agent applying for the insurance for the clients using the market place and not telling them or giving them the pertinent information, Neither client had any idea of what their password, username or account numbers were. It was pure hell getting to talk to someone at the marketplace that was helpful or didn't appear to be agitated by our inquiries. Each client was present to during the calls. Bottom line, both owed an additional amount back simply because the insurance agent miscalculated their incomes and did not inform them that if they had a life changing event, they were to go online or contact the market place to make the adjustments. One client lost their job and has not income but is required to pay back 275.00. This could have been avoided by updating their account.

As for your situation, I am glad you found the return rejected and I know jumping through the hoops for the identity theft is miserable. Just make sure you get the identity theft pin number from the IRS. Prayers for you and your parents. I too have an elderly mother and these times are tough to deal with.

• Like 2