ATX Community

I don't want my client to call in response to CP14

RitaB

Well, my client got a CP14 because his payment did not get credited to his account.  He has the cancelled check.  Instructions say to call the number on the Notice if you disagree.  I prefer to mail a short letter, copy of front and back of cancelled check, and staple both to copy of CP14.  Not charging client, as it may be my fault.  I had a digit wrong on his SSN, and I may not have printed a new 1040-V.  Or he may have used the incorrect one - we don't know.  I would just like to handle it for the client, and not have him calling IRS.  Paper trails are underrated.  No fax number was provided.

1)  Are you with me?

2)  Would you use the IRS address on the bottom stub?  The stub is for payment, and this is proof of payment.

13 minutes ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

Do you have the box checked on the 1040? If so, you can make the call. If not, I would send a note and send it to the address on the top of the form, if it's different than the stub. 

Yes, I do have the box checked.  Thanks!  But, actually, I'd rather not call them, either...

• Like 1

Absolutely DO NOT let your client call.  That is an ulcer waiting to happen!!

Write the letter.  Mail it to the address at the top of the notice.  Send it certified, return receipt requested.

If you used the wrong SS#, you can see it on the back of the cancelled check.  There is a ton of information on the back of the check. 

Either way, don't call or allow your client to call.  Send a letter with a detailed explanation (at or below a 6th grade comprehension level) to them.

I have had extensively more success with letters than calling.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

If you used the wrong SS#, you can see it on the back of the cancelled check.  There is a ton of information on the back of the check. 

Either way, don't call or allow your client to call.  Send a letter with a detailed explanation (at or below a 6th grade comprehension level) to them.

Yes, the correct SSN is on the front of the check and the incorrect SSN is on the back of the check.  That's how I made my guess at what happened, cause TP had no clue.  All I'm saying in the letter is the payment was made but was not credited to taxpayer's account.  Thank you for your attention in this matter.  Not taking or assigning blame.  Keeping it short and sweet.  The copy of the check says enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RitaB said:

Yes, the correct SSN is on the front of the check and the incorrect SSN is on the back of the check.  That's how I made my guess at what happened, cause TP had no clue.  All I'm saying in the letter is the payment was made but was not credited to taxpayer's account.  Thank you for your attention in this matter.  Not taking or assigning blame.  Keeping it short and sweet.  The copy of the check says enough.

Good luck getting it changed.  We have 2 responses to letters in the works where the payment was made for 2015 estimates and credited to 2014.  No rhyme or reason why.  Payments were made in July of 2015, and 2015 was written on the front of the check.  Still waiting on response from the IRS.

1 hour ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Send a letter with a detailed explanation (at or below a 6th grade comprehension level) to them.

That's always my aim.  Plus burying them in enough paperwork to satisfy their supervisor, make the agent think there is nothing else left to give, and thereby justify agreeing with me, fixing the problem, and closing the case.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, joanmcq said:

I always try calling the Practioners Line first. Hate mailing stuff. Most of the time I can fax info to the agent while I've got him or her on the line. 

Rita:

In *this* particular case, I believe the phone call is in order.  Since the SSN was messed up.  Get your 2848 from your client and the cancelled check, and then make the call.  While the *IRS employee* is on the phone, fax the copy of the check.  Then its easier to correct the record.  The IRS is taking incredibly long amounts of time to process paper.  And in this case, they just might send a refund out to the person who's account was credited incorrectly, and then you have a real mess.

Rich

• Like 5

From my experience, I vote for phone call to PPL.  They may be able to fix it on the spot.

Someone suggested, bury them in paperwork.  Wrong!  If something has to be mailed, never send anything that is more than a few paragraphs and certainly not more than a page.

Any written communication with the IRS should state the problem in one short sentence.  This should be a separate line right after the taxpayers name and ITIN and start out RE: Payment not credited to TP because of SSN entry error on back of attached check.

You can go on to elaborate, but keep it short.  Attach front & back copy of check and page 1 of CP14.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Max W said:

Any written communication with the IRS should state the problem in one short sentence.  This should be a separate line right after the taxpayers name and ITIN and start out RE: Payment not credited to TP because of SSN entry error on back of attached check.

You can go on to elaborate, but keep it short.  Attach front & back copy of check and page 1 of CP14.

Yes, I kept it very short.  I didn't see any reason to be windy:  "Taxpayer's timely payment was credited to an incorrect or non-existent account.  See attached copy of check front and back.  Hugs, Rita".

• Like 6

Well...as Pop used to quote: "Everyone to their own taste said the old man when he kissed the cow."

Personally, I'm like you; I much prefer the written word (there's something comforting about the wordsmithing craft).  And others' advice about keeping it as short as possible is right on the mark.  But, having said that, I had the following problem a couple of years ago:

When filing a first quarter 2014 paper 941, I accidentally used a 2013 blank form although wages, withholding, calculations, etc. for both years were correct as filed. Client got IRS non-filing notice for 3-31-14. I check it out - send in brief explanation. IRS writes back (12-31) saying they're working on it.  Nothing happens.  I write again (4-15).  They write back (7-15) saying they have graciously fixed it even though I did not properly use a 941X.  I assume all's well until SSA writes (11-7) saying 2013 941s total $4K more (exact amount of 3-31-14 941) than the W3 I filed.  I write IRS a looonnngg letter (11-24) explaining in detail what happened.  They send back a $600 bill for non-payment of 3-31-13 taxes plus a year's late charges and another non-fling notice for 3-31-14.  I give up, call IRS Taxpayer Advocate, am astoundingly lucky in that call goes through within 3 minutes, the sharp female agent has me fax a POA, I explain the circumstances, she pulls it up onscreen, says (of IRS' actions) "This is ABSURD!"  I hear keys clicking and she fixes it on the spot.  Don't know what I'd have done otherwise. 

And...that's how a nightmare can evolve from a little bit of nothin' and how a telephone rescued me.  Paper's always worked best (for me) so I'll probably stay with it, but it  doesn't seem like it used to be this hard (or maybe the clerks are just gettin' worse).

Best regards and good luck.:huh:

BB

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:35 PM, RitaB said:

Well, my client got a CP14 because his payment did not get credited to his account.  He has the cancelled check.  Instructions say to call the number on the Notice if you disagree.  I prefer to mail a short letter, copy of front and back of cancelled check, and staple both to copy of CP14.  Not charging client, as it may be my fault.  I had a digit wrong on his SSN, and I may not have printed a new 1040-V.  Or he may have used the incorrect one - we don't know.  I would just like to handle it for the client, and not have him calling IRS.  Paper trails are underrated.  No fax number was provided.

1)  Are you with me?

2)  Would you use the IRS address on the bottom stub?  The stub is for payment, and this is proof of payment.

Oh!  Sorry.  Got so wrapped up in my tale of woe that I forgot it's your thread and to answer your questions. 

1) Yes.  I'm with you (paper IS underrated).

2) I usually use the address at the top of the letter.  Offhand I don't remember if the stub address was the same or not, but I've used both at different times and somebody at IRS apparently always forwards the stuff to the right department (it's gotta be a common thing) no matter which you use. 

Did you mail it or what's happened so far? :D

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BLACK BART said:

Oh!  Sorry.  Got so wrapped up in my tale of woe that I forgot it's your thread and to answer your questions. 

1) Yes.  I'm with you (paper IS underrated).

2) I usually use the address at the top of the letter.  Offhand I don't remember if the stub address was the same or not, but I've used both at different times and somebody at IRS apparently always forwards the stuff to the right department (it's gotta be a common thing) no matter which you use. 

Did you mail it or what's happened so far? :D

I used address at top of letter.  Thank you, that was my main concern - which address to use.   Client is picking up my short letter that he will sign.  Today or tomorrow, he said.  Attached are copies of cancelled check, front and back, and first page of CP14.  I'm paying for the certified mail, return receipt requested.  Will let you know what happens.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2016 at 8:47 PM, Max W said:

Someone suggested, bury them in paperwork.  Wrong!  If something has to be mailed, never send anything that is more than a few paragraphs and certainly not more than a page.

The first page is *always* short - summary of problem, why our position is right, resolution required.  The "bury them in paperwork" is the backup pages with anything and everything an ignorant IRS drone could want to look at before resolving anything.  Basically I do NOT want any return letters stating "we are still missing corroborating documentation" of any kind.  

• Like 3