ATX Community
Abby Normal

IRS eservices wants me to periodically recertify my account

IRS Logo

You need to recertify your account

For your security, you will need to periodically recertify your account.

The recertification process is:

Fast: Takes about 15 minutes

Secure: Only you will have access to your tax information

Free: There is no charge (Message and data rates may apply to send a security code to your mobile phone)

You will need some information about yourself to register

Please have the following information and materials to complete registration:

• Full Name
  • Email
  • Birthdate
  • Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
  • Tax filing status
  • Current address

Do you have this information available?

Yeah, I think I know all of these.

Grrrr. They can't verify my cell phone number, probably because I'm with Google Fi. Gotta call 'em!

Wait time 30-60 minutes or I can wait 5 days for a mailed PIN. 🤬

Did you initiate the communication? If you did, make sure you are dealing with the IRS and not scammers.

It's real,

I had to do the same thing right before the tax season started. Because I don't have a traditional cell phone provider (contract) I had to wait the for the pin in the mail to.  I use prepaid for my cell phone service. But they can't verify that it's really you through prepaid.

• Thanks 1

The odd thing is, when I initially registered I had no problems doing it all online. Why, all of the sudden, my cellphone can't be verified is curious.

Just glad my annual (?) recertification is in July and not during tax season.

I am so disgusted with the whole E-services mess. I was verified, then they could not verify me through my cell phone, which is ONLY in my name. I spent hours on the phone with a very nice man on the help desk . He finally gave up and said that he would mail me a new PIN. I never received it and then they sent me a letter saying that I had not verified my license from New York and were going to make my PTIn inactive. I am not in freaking New York! I called and wrote to them and at least my PTIN is OK.  I will try to straighten out E-Services sometime in the next few years.

• Like 1

I have used eservices ever since it started and the password always had to be renewed every six months.    However, if you didn't renew before the deadline, you had to recertify.  Has this changed?

50 minutes ago, Max W said:

I have used eservices ever since it started and the password always had to be renewed every six months.    However, if you didn't renew before the deadline, you had to recertify.  Has this changed?

Yes. My password had not yet expired. Also, in past years, it has expired and I just needed to create a new one. All this certification and recertification just started last year.

eServices is a complete mess. They should shift to a Citrix system or something similar. The system they have with all the hoops you have to jump through really isn't all that safe.

At least my password doesn't keep expiring.

• Like 2