ATX Community

Sale of Residence

Christian

I normally start with schedule D and then it is transferred to form 8949 and then to Schedule D. 

Open Schedule D and then click on sale of residency or something like that. Then enter the date acquired, sold, answer the question if she/he lived there and enter the cost and sale amount. It is very simple and it will take you only a few minutes if profit was not more than $250K for one tax payer or $500K for two taxpayers.  Since it was not rented, I believe all profit will be tax free.

2 hours ago, grandmabee said:

go to schedule D and their is tab for sale of residence.  If no 1099-S issued and under the reporting amount you can skip it BUT I always report it to be on the safe side.  Clients don't always bring in the 1099-s

Many times, they don't realize they have been given a 1099S. It is just in with the huge packet of papers they received at closing and which they never looked at except to sign where the attorney pointed. 

• Like 2

When you sell a home, as we recently did, the attorney gives you a form to sign and check off whether you've lived there for 2 of the past 5 years.  If so, and the sales price is not above the Sect 121 limits of $250k or $500k, no 1099S is issued.  Therefore no reporting is required.  Why make work for yourself?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, grandmabee said:

go to schedule D and their is tab for sale of residence.  If no 1099-S issued and under the reporting amount you can skip it BUT I always report it to be on the safe side.  Clients don't always bring in the 1099-s

The sale of principal residence is on the 8949. Sch D is little more than a summary these days.

• Like 1