ATX Community

Massachusetts forms delayed?

Chowdahead

Massachusetts resident and non-residents aren't scheduled to be released until Feb. 3, which is the latest I have ever seen for MA.  Whenever this happens it's hard to tell if this is an ATX issue or a State Department of Revenue issue.

Anyone know if other tax software is having a similar delay? I know it's only a few days away, and may happen sooner,  but I have a more than a handful of returns on hold because of it.  It's crazy that filing season started a week ago and MA forms still aren't available in ATX for e-filing.

At least your states didn't decide to redesign their entire individual forms.  I currently have only page 1 of 3 showing, and that page only has figures on half of it with no calculations being performed. 😠  I printed the new forms from the state's website so to have a look at them, and with Delaware being so small, it probably doesn't get the developer's attention like the very large states do. 

The tax agency may have a web site where you can see their reported form status, release dates, etc.  Note, even when a form is shown as available by a tax agency, they may require third party printers (such as tax software) to go through an approval process.  I know of no tax agency who shows status of their approval process.

A perfect example is the SSA W2.  SSA will release the form design early in the year, but those who print the black and white versions cannot even start to ask for approval until Q4.

CA FTB 540 - the version one can view on the FTB site is still dated for 2020...

IIRC, this topic has come up before.  ATX seems to get the major forms in place a few days after they are available is what I remember.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 2:18 PM, joanmcq said:

I’ve got the 540, but not the Sch CA

Yeah, that is what I thought I was saying.... that is the one that is missing, and since CA does not conform to most of the 2017 tax act, it is needed for most of my clients.

Went to the FTB website, and CA does not show the form as ready yet.   Hope they get off their butts and get it done.  I need some revenue.

Tom
Longview, TX

Ughh..  MA-1-NR/PY is now listed as being available on Feb 14!  It was supposed to be released today Feb. 7 and originally was slated for Feb 3!  I told alot of clients they would be all set today based on the prior info.

This is crazy.  I have never seen a major state form not be available 3 weeks after filing season starts, and this is my 18th year with ATX!  I've already had 2 clients ask me for their documents back because I am unable to file their MA return, and I have about 3 dozen returns on hold.  I can't even tell them how much their state refunds are without this form, unless I do them manually and I don't have time for that.

I've submitted a support ticket.  This is frustrating!

3 hours ago, Randall said:

I'm waiting for Ky 741 (equivalent to Fed 1041).  Was originally scheduled for 2/3.  Now ATX is saying 2/14.

Does that affect many clients?  Because the lack of the MA Non-Resident form essentially makes it impossible to file RI and CT state returns either because both of those states allow credit for taxes paid to MA, which I cannot calculate.

MA has always had major delays on its non-resident/part-year form.  I'm also still waiting for Form 2 (trusts; 1041 equivalent) to be approved. 

Fully 1/3 of MassDOR staff are permanently assigned to dealing with wage garnishments for child support.  Most of the state tax is individuals, full year, followed by businesses (Forms 355 and 355S).  So that's where they put all their efforts. Once those three (Forms 1, 355, 355S) are approved, then they turn their attention to the others.  All we can do is wait.

3 hours ago, Catherine said:

MA has always had major delays on its non-resident/part-year form.  I'm also still waiting for Form 2 (trusts; 1041 equivalent) to be approved. 

Fully 1/3 of MassDOR staff are permanently assigned to dealing with wage garnishments for child support.  Most of the state tax is individuals, full year, followed by businesses (Forms 355 and 355S).  So that's where they put all their efforts. Once those three (Forms 1, 355, 355S) are approved, then they turn their attention to the others.  All we can do is wait.

My concern then is why are other software vendors not having a similar issue?

22 hours ago, Chowdahead said:

Does that affect many clients?  Because the lack of the MA Non-Resident form essentially makes it impossible to file RI and CT state returns either because both of those states allow credit for taxes paid to MA, which I cannot calculate.

Not too many for me.

Ultratax, which costs our firm $16k a year, also does not have approval on our company's state and who knows how many others.  We can do the calculations but can't efile.  In the past our state has always been available almost immediately after the federal approval, so this has never happened before.  It seems the states are causing the lag (but it's all our fault).

• Like 3

MA, RI, ME S Corp forms are all delayed and now the form availability is saying 02/21. It keeps moving out. My clients are all getting very impatient. I am not even seeing drafts. We have a ton of S Corps in MA, RI and ME....Makes it difficult when the return has multiple states...

• Like 1