ATX Community

ATX Service

jrjames

I have purchased ATX software 2002-2007. Recently I needed to complete a 2004 return, but had lost my disc and it was no longer on my computer. I called ATX thinking they might replace what I had previouly bought. They wanted to charge $100. I call that greed. Just wanted everyone to know that is considering whether to renew

Things and times do change.

Several years ago, I contacted ATX to find out how to use my old ATX programs (bought when I had WIN 95 and 98) with XP. My cost was $20.00 for each year for an "XP compatible" CD - and that included the shipping.

$100!!! Interesting, and it would seem one more reason to "not yet trust" CCH!

When I was considering TRX last summer, they sent me 2004 - 2006 CD to demo. I ended up buying it, but managed to lose the demo disk. When I renewed this year, I asked if there was anyway I could get another copy of that demo CD and they sent another FREE!

>>Sounds like the old ATX cd price with the new CCH shipping price.<<

I believe $100 for prior year CD's has been a policy of ATX as long as I can remember! This is not a CCH thing. $20 may have been a "XP compatible" CD or a special price for a package of CD's, but I think $100 has always been the normal price.

Personally I think it is a reasonable charge for those customers that do not think it important to keep the CD's that they purchased. Its not ATX's fault that their customer is disorganized or the type that fails to keep important things. Everyone knows I am not one to favor ATX policies but this one is fair.

I believe $100 for prior year CD's has been a policy of ATX as long as I can remember! This is not a CCH thing.

I don't think so, cause I bought one when I first switched. $20 for fully functioning new purchase of Max. And it was not a replacement of something I had previously bought. They have been doing the $20 thing for prior years for a long time.

Tom

Lodi, CA

It was $20 per year from the old ATX. Last year CCH changed that to $100 but that amount included multiple years if you wanted them. So it was not a bad deal. If I had to order one, I'd ask for multiple years, given that deal, just for backup. Thankfully, I do have my disks.

It was $20 per year from the old ATX. Last year CCH changed that to $100 but that amount included multiple years if you wanted them. So it was not a bad deal. If I had to order one, I'd ask for multiple years, given that deal, just for backup. Thankfully, I do have my disks.

I have all of my disks as well as floppies from Parsons. Remember those couple of years when some of us ATXers were sending copies of disks all over the country to anyone who asked for one?. This was with the blessing of "The Company" before they started offering the $20 back year disks.

Remember that the orriginal 'back year CD's' was started by an EMPLOYEE of ATX that was doing it on his own to avoid harassing technical support calls. He made up one CD that had multiple years on that CD. Of course it was for people who had valid installation codes for the prior years. I do believe that the $100 price was right for people who hadn't purchased the prior years (unless they were getting a deal for considering switching to ATX), but just the CD was $20.

I know ethics is a problem with this approach, but even back years ago when I worked there, there were people who would call and say they were considering switching and ask for the prior years program as a demo. Generally the sales person would send it for free to get you to switch. I knew it was happening as the names or home addresses would already be in our database and when we would do a database sort for direct mail it would show up. It didn't take me long to figure out what these people were doing.

I have purchased ATX software 2002-2007. Recently I needed to complete a 2004 return, but had lost my disc and it was no longer on my computer. I called ATX thinking they might replace what I had previouly bought. They wanted to charge $100. I call that greed. Just wanted everyone to know that is considering whether to renew

The same thing happen to me a few years ago. If I am correct, the minimum charge is $100. whether you buy/replace 1 or 5 discs.

The same thing happen to me a few years ago. If I am correct, the minimum charge is $100. whether you buy/replace 1 or 5 discs.

If I remember correctly a few years back ATX gave its users permission to copy prior years CD's for users that neeced the prior years. I know I made quite a few copies and sent them out. If anybody needs a certain year let me know and I will gladly make them a copy.

>>Sounds like the old ATX cd price with the new CCH shipping price.<<

I believe $100 for prior year CD's has been a policy of ATX as long as I can remember! This is not a CCH thing. $20 may have been a "XP compatible" CD or a special price for a package of CD's, but I think $100 has always been the normal price.

Personally I think it is a reasonable charge for those customers that do not think it important to keep the CD's that they purchased. Its not ATX's fault that their customer is disorganized or the type that fails to keep important things. Everyone knows I am not one to favor ATX policies but this one is fair.

I think you are correct as to the $100.00, but they sent me a few of the old programs for $20.00 each as well. I believe I purchased 4 back years from them, so I wouldn't have to use my old software and could roll returns forward. And these were years I had never purchased from ATX at all.

Besides, these are old packages that have very little salability after the season is done. They would get a lot more customer value and Goodwill by sending a replacement disk free, than the few dollars they are making by charging $100.00. Isn't customer service the name of the game?

>>Isn't customer service the name of the game? <<

Nope!! Bottom line is the name of the game to these idiots. They can't realize that good service will increase the bottom line. They are probably the same folks that can't realize that a lower tax rate will increase government revenue.

I experienced this same $100 scenerio. However, I didn't lose anything. I had purchased the PRS for business and trust returns. Since I have been a user of the ATX Software since 99 I had to replace my computer. Since I didn't have the forsight at the time to get the balance of my unused PRS returns I no longer have my unused returns from 00-05. When I called technical support to get these returns or to find out how to unlock 1 return for each year I was told I had to buy the $100 CD. THis is after I was on hold and transfered around for 1.5 hours. This didn't seem right to me since I had the product that I had purchased and knew that I hadn't used all of the returns. It seems worst case scenerio I should have been able to buy 1 single return for each year. When they were ATX they were able to release one return. They told me that it was not possible to purchase just 1 return. Basically I wasn't able to use the product that I had previously paid for. I felt that this was very bad service.

When I started using ATX, they let me buy a CD for a prior year (before I used ATX) for $20. Then, when I changed computers, they unlocked my unused returns on my new computer so I could prepare some prior year returns -- similar to you, I had a couple of unused returns for a prior year or two, but had changed computers in the meantime. This was maybe during the Kleinrock reign, but before CCH.

>>Isn't customer service the name of the game? <<

Nope!! Bottom line is the name of the game to these idiots. They can't realize that good service will increase the bottom line. They are probably the same folks that can't realize that a lower tax rate will increase government revenue.

Jack you are so right. But it is sad that they can't see the light, isn't it? (rhetorical question here).

When I started, I got a demo disc for free; a full functioning Max. I think I asked for it in the summer, and I could do current year returns even, before October. Then I got a client with unfiled years and bought 97-2000 forn $20 each. A few years I bought PPR + 1040 office, and when I transferred computers a few years ago and couldn't get the PPR working, (none of my business returns would open, and I couldn't access any remaining returns) the tech support just gave me the unlock code for Max for those old years rather than go through PPR. It made sense since the prior years were pretty much dead except for the occaisional late filer. I haven't had to call CS but once this year, and really hope I don't have to. CS was always one thing ATX had going for it.

And if lowering our taxes made revenues go up, why is there such a deficit? Or is it that our taxes really werent lowered, but it was just smoke & mirrors?

And if lowering our taxes made revenues go up, why is there such a deficit? Or is it that our taxes really werent lowered, but it was just smoke & mirrors?

Simple first day economics 101. In order not to have a deficit, you must NOT SPEND more than comes in.

Our congress view on life: Increased revenue to the government = more to spend!!!