ATX Community

Printer replacement

cpabsd

I always used HP which have lasted forever, real workhorses. But when I wanted a smaller, faster printer for tax returns only, just black toner and nothing fancy, my IT guy said he still loves HP for high end printers but now recommends Brother for more reasonably priced printers for us small tax offices. I've had the Brother HL-L2370DW since before Covid and am very happy with it. I can't remember the price, but maybe $199 or less here in pricey Fairfield County, CT.

• Like 2

I purchased a refurbished HP P2035 from Tiger Direct to replace the one I had been using for years.  Because the original had started to streak, I brought the new one out of storage.  Very happy and no problems to date.  I do not use OEM laser cartridges.

• Like 1

I have had a 6200 for about three years.  It works great for me.  My first Brother was in 1998 when I first went out on my own it was a HL1040.  When I saw the model number, i knew that is the one for me.  It didn't print duplicate, but I did not know at the time that i wanted/needed that/ :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cbslee said:

Slippery Pencil's warning is timely since HP announced recently that you will have to use their OEM toner and ink with their new printers.

Thanks for the update.  So,, HP is joining the Intuit, Microsoft bandwagon......

• Like 4

On 3/11/2023 at 10:26 AM, cbslee said:

Slippery Pencil's warning is timely since HP announced recently that you will have to use their OEM toner and ink with their new printers.

Don't update the firmware or drivers on your HP printers. If already updated, roll back to the previous firmware or driver. And whatever you do, uninstall or don't install the softwares that come with your printer. Those softwares are nothing but trouble.

An article on HP firmware updates and how to avoid them:

https://www.cartridgepeople.com/info/hp-firmware-update

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Don't update the firmware or drivers on your HP printers.

Horror stories abound on the internet of people being locked out of their printers by HP for using non HP ink.  People have reported HP updating any printer connected to the internet.  HP products aren't the workhorses they were 25 years ago.  Plenty of other good options available.  Buy something you don't have to play stupid games to use. 

• Like 4

And I read something the other day about someone who used the subscription service HP offers for ink, where they monitor your printer and send you ink when you need it.  Apparently if you stop buying ink through them and get it elsewhere, they will also lock down your printer as being out of ink.  At least, that is the gist of what I read - I do not speak from personal experience. 

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Angry 1

4 hours ago, Lion EA said:

My very old HP all-in-one will tell me (message on the screen) if I've inserted genuine HP ink or not when I replace a cartridge. However, it works the same either way. None of my HPs are newer models, so can't speak about what the new models do.

All of mine are older models.  That is 5.  I am well stocked with toner cartridges, but probably won't order more until I need them.  What a shame.