ATX Community

Amended 2022 Return

Randall

5 hours ago, Gail in Virginia said:

I think technically if you amend a return before the due date, it is considered a superseded return rather than amended.  Practically, you don't need to wait and it would look the same, from what I understand.

I kept hearing about a superseded return but I didn't know if you still used 1040X.  From the other comments, I guess you just file the 1040X.

"Additionally, a new, electronic checkbox has been added for Forms 1040/1040-SR, 1040-NR and 1040-SS/1040-PR to indicate that a superseding return is being filed electronically. A superseded return is one that is filed after the originally filed return but submitted before the due date, including extension."

Drake has a checkbox titled "Superseded Return" in their 1040X screen. My understanding is that you are not preparing an amended 1040 X.

Drake gives you the option to print "SUPERSEDED TAX RETURN" at the top of the revised Form 1040.

• Like 2

Amend any time. But it's safest to wait until the original is processed. You know how broken the IRS is, so you don't want the amendment to be processed before the original and confuse the computer. If they had a refund, I always wait until they receive the refund. If they paid, you could check their IRS account (or have them check) to make sure the original was processed.

Don't wait until after the deadline if you don't have to. P&I, for example. You might want to mark it as a superseding return if you're making an election or other timely choice (IRA contribution) that needs to be done by 18 April.

A superseded return can be filed anytime prior to the original due date.

The big advantage of filing a superseded return is that it replaces the original efiled return,

while an amended return is considered to be a correction which is processed manually which will take 5 or more months.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, cbslee said:

A superseded return can be filed anytime prior to the original due date.

The big advantage of filing a superseded return is that it replaces the original efiled return,

while an amended return is considered to be a correction which is processed manually which will take 5 or more months.

Are you sure that a superseded return will not be manually entered?

Tom
Longview, TX

13 hours ago, G2R said:

Does ATX have the superseded checkbox option? 

And when you efile this return, does the 1040X still get filed?  Or should we delete it before e-filing?

Or if filing a superseding return, do you just duplicate the original  instead of 'amending'?

Technically, an amended return filed before the due date is a superseded return; however, without a checkbox I don't see any option in ATX but to do an amended, which will not be a quick process (regardless of e-filed or mailed in).

Just had an amended return rejected for e-filing--taxpayer filed as surviving spouse and original was e-filed.  This was an IRS (not ATX) reject that the account had been frozen because primary taxpayer was deceased. Didn't see an alternative to mailing it in.  Mail in, I'm guessing it makes a 4 month process about a 5 month process (on average).

Re-thinking this...since it was a mail-in, should have done a 1040 and wrote "Superseded" at the top of page 1.

6 hours ago, BrewOne said:

Technically, an amended return filed before the due date is a superseded return; however, without a checkbox I don't see any option in ATX but to do an amended, which will not be a quick process (regardless of e-filed or mailed in).

Just had an amended return rejected for e-filing--taxpayer filed as surviving spouse and original was e-filed.  This was an IRS (not ATX) reject that the account had been frozen because primary taxpayer was deceased. Didn't see an alternative to mailing it in.  Mail in, I'm guessing it makes a 4 month process about a 5 month process (on average).

Re-thinking this...since it was a mail-in, should have done a 1040 and wrote "Superseded" at the top of page 1.

When I have a surviving spouse return, I make the surviving spouse the primary taxpayer.  I'm not sure if this would have prevented your problem.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BrewOne said:

I kept it the way it was

That's the better way IF there were estimated tax payments made - because those will be attributed to the primary taxpayer's account from the prior year. I changed them around once for an elderly lady who lost her husband and doggone near lost *her* when she got an IRS nastygram demanding $16,000 in tax, because the computers never think to check the other taxpayer for ES payments. Frankly, I considered that letter as elder abuse and (politely) reamed the agent a new one when I called them about it. Back when they still answered their phones.

• Like 4