ATX Community

NT desperation

jainen

You should start planning now by gradually working more sprouts, grains, berries, yogurt, tofu, & various types of roughage into your diet. It will require months to make the transition, but by next tax season your digestive system will have adjusted somewhat. (I specifically left fruits & nuts off the list because they are in short supply - most of them are serving in your legislature.)

Buy a very large freezer, and start stocking up now, quickly, while you can still find them in the stores. Expect there to be major 'runs' on them, very soon. Also, check out the methods of buying online, and having them shipped in to you. I do not think they have yet claimed the power to block you from buying from other states items that are lawful to purchase. I think the Food Gestapo is still a few years away, even in CA. Although you might want to plan ahead, and put that freezer in a hidden room with a disguised door, and keep it's existence a secret, just in case.

Help!! My elected representatives just banned trans-fat which is the main ingredient in things like chicken nuggets and Chinese takeout. How am I supposed to get through tax season?

Try to think of what Jane Austen would have done. Of course, the poor girl had no idea what a chicken nugget or Chinese takeout would be. If you set your mind to it, you can find a solution.

>>what Jane Austen would have done.... you can find a solution<<

Jane Austen never found any solutions. She made up a whole bunch, but they were all fiction. Of course, that description also applies to most of MY tax season creations. Anyway, it's a good analogy. I'm quite sure she would have failed without chicken nuggets and Chinese takeout. Anyone who stays up all night with pencil in hand would.

Help!! My elected representatives just banned trans-fat which is the main ingredient in things like chicken nuggets and Chinese takeout. How am I supposed to get through tax season?

What!!!!!!! I can't beleive this.

Jainen, please tell me it is not true!!!!!!!!

You, of all people complaining about the government setting standards for what you can eat. Banning food from the table!!!

I would think that someone who is from Santa Cruz would be jumping up and down with joy over this one.

I mean, really, when the government started setting the level of wages that must be paid, limiting housing rents that can be charged, and taxing "sins" like alcohol and cigarettes, how long did you think it would take until they controlled every segment of your life.

Hopefully, they will require a license to procreate next. It is the only area that does not require a tax or a license in the state. That would be a good thing too, don't you think?

Tom

Lodi, CA

Micro-managing other people's lives is a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. After all, the ignorant masses really don't know what's in their best interest and they need regular input from the elites just to get through the day.

I think the CA legislators are doing the best they can, although they have plenty of competition from their counterparts in Washington.

>>Help!! My elected representatives just banned trans-fat which is the main ingredient in things like chicken nuggets and Chinese takeout. How am I supposed to get through tax season? <<

I can see it now ! - Jainen sitting there with his grandchild on his conservative knee saying "let me tell you about the good old days".

What!!!!!!! I can't beleive this.

Hopefully, they will require a license to procreate next. It is the only area that does not require a tax or a license in the state. That would be a good thing too, don't you think?

Don't tell me you have missed that part. A license is already available to limit procreation--It is called "Same Sex Marriage"!

Chinese takeout is made with peanut oil which does not include trans fats. Actually, peanut oil is monounsaturated so its a 'good fat'. Eat away. Chicken nuggets can be fried quite easily without trans fat (any liquid oil doesn't contain them). So you are panicking for nothing. Twinkies may have to be imported, however. NY banned trans fats some time ago, and except for pastries, most users didn't have a problem switching. What did people do before Crisco and margarine were invented?

You guessed it....butter and lard and other animal products. Don't worry, no trans. lots of saturated fat, but no trans.

And bigdadder is right about the blueberries; I'm going gaga over the little morsels. Tom, if they can grow blueberries in Fresno, I'm sure I can grow them up here? Got any idea what variety is grown down there?

Actually, blueberrys are not usually commercially grown in the central valley. They do more up in Oregon and Washington. I think it has to do with the humidity in the air. The central valley is a little to dry and the growing season is too hot for berries, which is why most are grown closer to the coast over in Watsonville, Salinas, Oxnard, and Santa Maria. We do have an early spring and late fall strawberry crop in the valley, but they are mostly commercially grown for juice or the local market because they don't compare to the coastal varieties. Even the Blackberries and Raspberries that do well in the valley are not as good as the commercial varieties from the coast.

I am sure you can get better information about the varieties that would do well in your personal garden at a local nursery. I am sorry I can't help you with that one.

Tom

Lodi, CA

If you want really GOOD strawberries, try the ones that are grown on the Big Island of Hawaii. They were on sale about a year ago the same price as the ones that came in from California and I decided to try both. Now I gladly pay the extra buck to get them as they are usually a bit more expensive than the California grown ones. Maybe it's because they are fresher or something (with no 5 day ride across the ocean), but they have SO much more flavor. I grew up in Maine and spent many weekends picking strawberries over near the border with Canada but don't remembre tasting any as good as the ones from Hawaii and I was picking them fresh right out of the field.

Chinese takeout is made with peanut oil which does not include trans fats. Actually, peanut oil is monounsaturated so its a 'good fat'. Eat away. Chicken nuggets can be fried quite easily without trans fat (any liquid oil doesn't contain them). So you are panicking for nothing. Twinkies may have to be imported, however. NY banned trans fats some time ago, and except for pastries, most users didn't have a problem switching. What did people do before Crisco and margarine were invented?

You guessed it....butter and lard and other animal products. Don't worry, no trans. lots of saturated fat, but no trans.

It wasn't that long ago the they were strongly pushing trans fats as a safer and better alternative to the mean, nasty animal fats. Nincompoops. (That's not _really_ what I think of them, but it's one I can print. ;) )

Catherine

If you want really GOOD strawberries, try the ones that are grown on the Big Island of Hawaii. They were on sale about a year ago the same price as the ones that came in from California and I decided to try both. Now I gladly pay the extra buck to get them as they are usually a bit more expensive than the California grown ones. Maybe it's because they are fresher or something (with no 5 day ride across the ocean), but they have SO much more flavor. I grew up in Maine and spent many weekends picking strawberries over near the border with Canada but don't remembre tasting any as good as the ones from Hawaii and I was picking them fresh right out of the field.

The problem with commercially grown strawberries is they need to gas and ship them. You can't pick fruit at the most sweet stage because it will not make the shipping journey. That is why your local fruit usually tastes better.

I worked in produce for many years. I used to go out to the packing house and take the fruit off the cull line for myself, even though I could take any box of fruit I wanted. I took a box of culled nectarines to my mom one time, and she just raved over how fantastic they were, and how she never tasted better. Then I told her this was the fruit we send to the dairy to feed the cows. She did not believe me. There was nothing wrong with the fruit, except it was too ripe to ship when I pulled it off the cull belt.

Now, could you send me some ripe pineapples? The green crap they sell here in CA I won't buy.

Tom

Lodi, CA

There's another reason for not growing blueberries in the Valley. We have alkaline soil, and they like it acid. The coast has mostly acidic soil, hence the native rhododendrons and *yummy* huckleberries (acid lovers as well).

Actually, blueberrys are not usually commercially grown in the central valley. They do more up in Oregon and Washington. I think it has to do with the humidity in the air. The central valley is a little to dry and the growing season is too hot for berries, which is why most are grown closer to the coast over in Watsonville, Salinas, Oxnard, and Santa Maria. We do have an early spring and late fall strawberry crop in the valley, but they are mostly commercially grown for juice or the local market because they don't compare to the coastal varieties. Even the Blackberries and Raspberries that do well in the valley are not as good as the commercial varieties from the coast.

I am sure you can get better information about the varieties that would do well in your personal garden at a local nursery. I am sorry I can't help you with that one.

Tom

Lodi, CA