ATX Community

Windows XP

GeneInAlabama

I just received this notice from Amazon.com. They say that tech support will still be available through 2014.

<<<Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has recently purchased software from us, you might be interested to know that Amazon.com is one of the few places from which you can still purchase Microsoft Windows XP.

Whether you need the excellent multimedia features and security tools of Windows XP Home Edition or the added computing power of Windows XP Professional Edition, you can rest easy knowing that Microsoft has extended technical support of XP through 2014.>>>

Has anyone had any problems with Service Pack 3?

Yes, I loaded it yesterday (9/4) morning. First, it took a very long time. Then, I could not get my computer to reboot normally. I had to reboot in safe mode, then I was able to restore it to my restore point I created before I started the update.

I have not researched why this happened, it may be because I did not turn off my anti-virus. I will wait a week or two and try again. Maybe there will be more updates by then.

If anyone tries it, I highly recommend you make a restore point before you start.

It took about 1/2 hr just to install, exclusive of whatever amount of time for the download (that was automatic). The reboot was odd and very slow. It had to configure programs for personalized settings. Outlook Express was one of those. Bootup this am was normal. So far everything seems to be working normally.

I let Service Pack 3 install a few days ago. It took a very long time. But, now some things that had not been functioning well are working again! Who knows?! Then we had a thunderstorm and sudden power outage. Now, my computer can't find my F drive which is an external hard drive I use for back ups, attached by a USB cord. You win some, and you lose some.

I asked my boys before installing it, both of them said that it had no problems, and to go ahead, run it. But to turn off every thing else first, including anti-virus. It actually improves some things, they tell me. Have not had time to actually test it, since I'm living in the hospital now. But the little time I've been on, no problems at all.

I asked my boys before installing it, both of them said that it had no problems, and to go ahead, run it. But to turn off every thing else first, including anti-virus. It actually improves some things, they tell me. Have not had time to actually test it, since I'm living in the hospital now. But the little time I've been on, no problems at all.

Hope your husband is better from the surgery. Our prayers are with you both.

(Hang in there, KC!)

After mentioning it to my Computer Advisor; I let automatic undate install it this AM. It was a very fast install and I cannot see that it has affected anything. Will see what happens as the week goes on.