ATX Community

Low-Cost Seminar??

Corduroy Frog

Need one more seminar to satisfy CPE requirements.

I'm finding the prices for live seminars are horrendous.  The only one I've found to be reasonable is the annual Illinois Farm Seminar which has been around forever and is taught at all the land-grant colleges in almost every state.  It is good reference material and is reasonably priced.

In the past I've been to NCPE, Back-to-Basics, NATP Georgia, and NATP Kentucky.  Their cost is nearly double what they were 3-4 years ago.

Any other suggestions?  I prefer the live seminars, and although I live in TN, I don't mind driving.  I've been as far as Minnesota.

I have been doing online Webinars ever since Covid.  I wasn't thrilled with the idea at first, but even though I feel it is too expensive, at least I don't have to pay for travel and room and meals.  I use a two day Webinar presented by Iowa State University.  We now have the choice of live or online, but I still find it easier to do it online.  If we want or need the credits, we have to bite the bullet.  Also, my assistant gets to sit in for free which was not the case when we went to the live Seminars.  She doesn't need the credits at this point.  

• Like 1

Del Div of Rev in conjunction with IRS hosts an annual Fed/state joint tax conference that is very popular. Covers tax law changes for fed, DE and MD.  2022 was the 46th year, so I would assume this event will be held again this year.

Last year was at Rehoboth Beach convention center early Dec. Other years was at U of DE Newark, DE.

Fee was $50. Not a typo: FIFTY dollars!  EAs can earn a max of 6 credits.

Date not announced yet. Registration is usually a month or so ahead, needs to be in before Thanksgiving.

Link has lots of info including a link to last year's brochure.  https://revenue.delaware.gov/calendar/

I prefer live.   I like meeting other tax geeks at lunch and dinner and networking events.   I like to talk to the vendors.

I try to find seminars in places I like to visit (San Diego, Las Vegas, Orlando), it is like a vacation.   And it is tax deductible.   

I find that when I do webinars, I lose focus.  I don't like posting questions and hope they answer them.   I don't like not being able to ask a follow up question. 

I agree the prices are getting very high.   I have done more free IRS webinars in the last two years than I have done my entire carreer.

Tom
Longview, TX 

• Like 2

How about CT? The NY/CT-ATP has a 1-day October Seminar that includes 2 CEs of Ethics and 6 CEs of Federal Tax Law topics (8 CEs). And, a 2-day Annual Tax Update Seminar that's 7 CEs of Federal Tax Law topics and 7 CEs of Federal Tax Update topics (14 CEs). We negotiate a room rate at the venue, the Ethan Allen Hotel in Danbury, CT; however, there are other motels nearby, such as a Holiday Inn Express. Seminar prices won't be announced until after Friday 4 August. You can get the latest information here: https://www.nyctatp.org/events/

I always preferred live.  Hanging with other tax geeks was fun, and some questions people asked really helped figuring out things you hadn't put your finger on to ask.  Since I moved to VA, however, live seminars are so far away that they would require overnight stays or hours on the road.  I've adapted to online and find I get a lot out of virtual seminars if I keep taking notes and stay focused.

I dropped my membership in NAEA this year, after almost 20 years.  Seminars were way too far away, the online blog was sometimes informative but filled with posters just trying to be the smartest person in the room, and I realized that all I got out of my membership was a quarterly journal.  The state chapter fees increased this year, and I decided that paying $365 for nothing but a journal wasn't worth it.  In CT, at least I got to go to live seminars and network.  They were expensive though, as NAEA spends a lot of its funds on lobbying and doesn't grant much to the state chapters to offset the cost of seminars.  NATP seminars were more reasonable in price, but often they were a little too basic for me.  I have retained my NATP membership.

• Like 3

The way I learn things is by reading. Others learn verbally which is why they prefer in person seminars.

When i used to go to in person seminars I would follow the presenter from topic to topic reading the handout material and adding notes.

Here in my state the CPA in person seminars now cost about $50 per CPE hour.

Like Sara, I used to belong to NAEA, but even though I am in an area with over 300,000 people there has never been a local EA chapter.

The NATP doesn't have a presence in the Northwest so that leaves me with self study or online classes.

• Like 1

Thanks to the group.  Judy's $50 deal is incredible and I wouldn't mind the drive - could I justify 6 hours credit when I really need 16.

The Oklahoma State farm course is the same syllabus offered to all land-grant colleges.  I will be taking this course in Alabama sponsored by Auburn Univ.

Is Bob Jennings still doing seminars?  He has a website, but is being taught by proteges at Little Rock & Louisville among other places.  Doesn't show the price.

Reference made to Oregon's $50 per CPE.  That would be $800 for me.  Even worse than the Sunny South.

Thanks to everyone for sending information.  I'll need to choose soon.

On 7/12/2023 at 11:23 AM, cbslee said:

My first choice is self study preferably thru The Tax Book.

I do a tremendous amount of self study and let me say that this board is the perfect venue for that.  However, it doesn't give me any of the credits that I need.  Therefore, it's the same two day seminar that I have attended since 2009.  It used to be Tax Insight for years, but since Phil Harris passed, has been the Iowa State University.  This year it is once again, in person, but none close enough to me.  I will attend the online seminar in November.  I believe that registration is open this month.  I also get my money's worth out of Quickfinders.

Yes, the U of Illinois has enjoined several writers to produce an instructive document to be presented in seminars in land-grant colleges in every state.  I am already registered for 16 hours in such a seminar at Auburn, AL.  In the past I've been to this in Tennessee, Mississippi, South Carolina, NCarolina, and Kentucky.  It is very reasonably priced, only $17 per CPE, and it is good material.  Last year some 600 pages.  Univ of Illinois was the original author of the material, dating back to the 1950s.

Two friendly faces are more than I deserve, but there is a matter of distance for CT for 4 hrs credit.  I said I don't mind driving but at some point I do have to be practical.  Would love to see those two faces elsewhere.  I am quite interested in the Delaware thing but the linked information is premature at this point.  I'll be checking back.  Thanks for the response.

• Like 1

I went to the CA Society of Tax Consultants Summer Symposium.  It’s also getting kind of pricey, especially since I’m no longer a member. But it’s good live CPE. It alternates between Vegas & Reno, so next year it’s only a short drive to Reno. Last year the Symposium clashed with a trip I had already booked, so I was doing VERY expensive CPE in Vegas. And a last minute 4 hours online. 

• 3 weeks later...