ATX Community

NT - A Test

TAXBILLY

21. One I think I read wrong and one I changed from right to wrong and a couple of bad guesses and a couple of good guesses. But, I'm old enough to have grown up WITHOUT spell check, except for looking it up in a dictionary. Three misspellings in a paper or test dropped the grade one unit. And, I was news editor of our high school newspaper so did a lot of proofreading. Now, of course, I strive to get the NUMBERS right and have forgotten how to spell lots of words that were a part of my written vocabulary in years past.

I got 19 correct. But I think I would have done better had I been asked _how_ to spell word thus-and-such, rather than have to parse tiny differences and pick one. I started second-guessing myself and (as is usual) that caused me to pick incorrectly. There was one word that I used to get wrong all the time that I got correct, though, so that at least is good.

Catherine

As a former proofreader and one-time spelling bee champion, I too am embarrassed by a score of 23, although, as mentioned above, at least one was an acceptable alternate spelling.

I guess it's been too long since it really mattered. Either that, or I've been reading too much Internet and not enough books.