ATX Community

Pet Peeves

Teri2414

I always use my version of #4: "Give it all to me, please. I charge quite a bit extra if you give them to me one at a time." I've only had one person ever refuse to give them over when I am sitting there with my hand out, waiting, after that line. And him I fired, then and there. because I did not like his attitude anyway. It felt darn good, too.

I always use my version of #4: "Give it all to me, please. I charge quite a bit extra if you give them to me one at a time." I've only had one person ever refuse to give them over when I am sitting there with my hand out, waiting, after that line. And him I fired, then and there. because I did not like his attitude anyway. It felt darn good, too.

There is some really good advise in this thread. These are the things one only learns from experience. Seems like it would be good to somehow collect these tidbits into one location for easy reference.

I am also a high school baseball and softball umpire. I have gleaned much insight over the years from veteran umpires on how to handle coaches and players, resolve conflicts, etc. You can't find that stuff studying the rule book! I see some similarities between my umpire experience and tax prep experience!

Our situation is a little different, though. Since my wife is also licensed to sell investments, life insurance, etc., there is much to be gained from sitting down and talking to our clients. That is still a balance we are trying to work through. I do think we will adopt KC's response to the paper feeders effective immediately. Thanks KC!

p.s. This will be post #100 for me. I just got a promotion!

...and I am happy to see that it is not only my clients that drop off envelopes...never opened....aren't they the least bit curious?.....One actually gave me an unopened Time Warner cable bill....I hope she was not under the impression that I was going to pay that!

I used to have a client that would bring me unopened letters from the IRS that were sent certified mail. By the time I would get the letters, it was already past the deadine. Notice that I said I USED to have a client that did that.

Here's one that chaps my hide... new client comes in, you prepare their taxes and they come up with a "balance due." OMG! here we go..... I do all this explaining about why they owe base off the numbers blah,blah,blah...(of course we find out they have like "8" on their w4 exemption) Then theres still this dead silence in the air and a look on their face like "WTF do you mean I owe?" Then they want all their paperwork back to get a second opinion... I HATE THAT!! Like someelse has a different irs code they're going by to get you a refund. Maybe CCH forgot to mail me that version of the "code!" :blink:

Thx for listening!!! Shot of tequila anyone! lol!

Here's one that chaps my hide... new client comes in, you prepare their taxes and they come up with a "balance due." OMG! here we go.....

Client comes in with kid's W-2: "This can't be right, they only withheld $82! Can you check with them?"

Me: "No. Didn't he keep his last check stub?"

OK, it's a Wal-Mart W-2. They're not exactly low tech. Of course, a week later, she comes back: "It's correct."

No, you don't say...

Ticked me off! Client of 18 years. Started doing his taxes while we both worked for a company in California. After two years he moved to Illinois and works in Missouri. Only short form stuff but have been doing his taxes ever since.

He calls yesterday and said he is going to have his taxes prepared by someone local to him because he moved and bought a house and did some withdrawals from his 401k. I said I know how to prepare those kinds of forms. Then it comes out that his "girlfriend" wants him to use her tax guy. He definitely don't have any gonads. :rolleyes:

Jerry

Come on Jerry - we all have old & new patrons that separate or get together. I always advise my clients to consider filing with the same preparer if possible. If no conflicts exist, the one preparer is better informed to produce the best product. My experience is that for every patron that "moves on", I have a new one that "moves in". :D

z

Come on Jerry - we all have old & new patrons that separate or get together. I always advise my clients to consider filing with the same preparer if possible. If no conflicts exist, the one preparer is better informed to produce the best product. My experience is that for every patron that "moves on", I have a new one that "moves in". :D

z

That is pretty much correct, Zeke. Unfortunately, the ones that we want to "move on" never do. I, personally, tell new marrieds that I will be happy to help them, but if they are more comfortable going to the "other" preparer, I will understand.

OK!!! This is happening way too often the last while!!

Most of my clients live within a 20 mile radius of the office which is all in the same area code. There is not a different area code within prob 40 to 50 miles from here. (at least) Why does every fricken Tom, Dick and Harry have to give me their area code when I ask for a phone number????

And what really gets my attention is when they are sitting or standing in from of me and I am ready to write their phone number down....

"whats yer phone number?" .... and he goes.... "It's 330" (which is the area code) if I dont start writing that down while I wait for the REAL phone number they will stand there until I either write it down or tell them to continue.

It's like come on. ... we're neighbors already... I KNOW what your area code is!! Gimme the last four numbers and I got it!!

(ok, I feel better now! Its been busy lately, but thats cool!!) ^_^

Why does every fricken Tom, Dick and Harry have to give me their area code when I ask for a phone number????

And what really gets my attention is when they are sitting or standing in from of me and I am ready to write their phone number down....

"whats yer phone number?" .... and he goes.... "It's 330" (which is the area code) if I dont start writing that down while I wait for the REAL phone number they will stand there until I either write it down or tell them to continue.

I thought I was the only one this was happening to. I have noticed this several times and REALLY wanted to scream. I feel better now.

Here's another thing that really aggravates me: The client who actually fills out the forms first and brings them in with their stuff. I have a couple that do this every year. What? Are they trying to show me that they don't really need me? Are they hoping for a discount? What is it? I love it when they're wrong...

OK!!! This is happening way too often the last while!!

"whats yer phone number?" .... and he goes.... "It's 330" (which is the area code) last four numbers and I got it!!if I dont start

It's like come on. ... we're neighbors already... I KNOW what your area code is!!

Hey, that's my area code, too. We're "area code neighbors"!!! Actually what I like to do when someone asks my zip code is to do all 9 numbers so fast that they have to ask a couple of times.

AnnieR

Here's another thing that really aggravates me: The client who actually fills out the forms first and brings them in with their stuff. I have a couple that do this every year. What? Are they trying to show me that they don't really need me? Are they hoping for a discount? What is it? I love it when they're wrong...

I have one client like that and I really love it. I wish all of them would do that. I can zip right through the return and if there is a math error, the program will catch it; and if something looks like it needs questioning, it is easy to spot. I have another client that is a farmer, and he lists his farm income and expenses in the same order that it appears on the schedule F. It's a whole lot better than the client I have that brings all his receipts, and everything else he can find to me in a garbage bag. (I do charge a whole lot more for having to go through all that mess.)

I have one client like that and I really love it. I wish all of them would do that. I can zip right through the return and if there is a math error, the program will catch it; and if something looks like it needs questioning, it is easy to spot. I have another client that is a farmer, and he lists his farm income and expenses in the same order that it appears on the schedule F. It's a whole lot better than the client I have that brings all his receipts, and everything else he can find to me in a garbage bag. (I do charge a whole lot more for having to go through all that mess.)

Just picked up papers this morning from some clients (older couple with mobility problems; I don't usually go _to_ clients). The clip all their like-kind documents together. Very convenient for me and quick and easy to leaf through to look for likely missing items before I leave them. I have the _nicest_ clients -- these folks usually have fresh-made cookies for me when I drop their completed forms back off later.

Catherine

Oh, I know what you mean about that - I have a farmer that brings me a completed Sch F (well, not the depreciation) and I love that, too.

I wish some Sch C people would do it, so they'd know logical categories of expenses. Had one I was working on last night with a ledger sheet. Had a column for postage with $70 in it for the entire year. Office supplies in another column that totaled $32 for the year. Ran out of columns and put $3000 worth of various items in "miscellaneous." Oh, well.

My people that fill out the forms for me are W-2 folks with kids and EIC who want to make sure they get all their money. You know, I might miss something they're entitled to.