ATX Community

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY.......

Gail

I plan on celebrating LIFE. We got to our camp in the woods on Thurs afternoon. The sand flies (gnats) were just horrible. I got so many bites walking around the yard. Came into the house and immediately knew that something was wrong. I was having extreme difficulty breathing. I made it to the bed and by the time my husband came in, I couldn't do anything. Told him I could not breathe. He called 911. First responders came and I had my first ambulance ride...about 30 miles. ER Dr said that I had classic symptoms of allergic reaction to bug bites, but first he had to rule out heart and lung problems or he could make things worse. By then I was on oxygen and IV with meds. Turned out that everything checked out so after a couple of hours on IV they let me come home with steroids and Zyrtec for a week. I will also be carrying around an Epi pen for the rest of my life.

So on Memorial day, I will be remembering those who have died, but celebrating those who are still alive. This was a very close call. I not only could not breathe, but my heart was pounding so hard. I did not pass out, but am sure that I would have soon.; had it not been for the fast work of the EMTs and the ER staff. Never take life for granted as I am so very grateful to be alive today and feeling really great. I now plan on staying here for the entire week for restoration and reflection. Hoping you all have an absolutely wonderful weekend.

:wub: :wub:

Marilyn: Good to hear everything worked out OK.

At least now you're prepared if it happens again.

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend, and it is important for us remember all those military heroes who sacrificed in the past and continue to do so every day. We owe all of them a debt that can never be fully repaid.

What a scary story! It sounds as though you've been in this environment (your camp) often and only this time have experienced such a reaction. It's amazing how fast that came on and what a blessing the response was quick and correct enough to save you.

I agree - most of us take life too much for granted. We here are all relieved that you are still here with us!

Just want to thank you all for your concern. Yes, Margaret, I have been coming here for many years......at least 20 and have had lots of bug bites and several reactions such as swelling, nausea, etc. However, never anything like this. The worst of it was that I had no idea what was happening. They instructed my husband and I on how to use the Epi Pin because they say that every second counts. I hate being in this position as I am an avid gardener and we make all of our own firewood. However, as I said, am SO glad to be alive. Will give my family Dr a call on Tues to see if he wants me to do anything different. This is my most favorite place in the world, so you know how I would feel about not being able to come here. Thanks again, and I am being very careful. It is so beautiful here with all the trees and wildflowers in bloom now. We have 40 Acres abutting a National Forest on a dead end road so it's pretty special. Built a new home here 3 years ago. I guess you can get bit by a bug or stung by a bee anywhere and a lot of people have this type of allergy. Strange how they develop as you grow older. A fellow told me today to always wear something with eucalyptus oil in it such as Vicks or pure oil. He said it doesn't smell so good, but the bugs don't like it. I found that Noxzema has it and we always have that on hand so will try it. Luv you guys!!!!!

I am so glad that things worked out as well as they did, and I hope the Noxema works. Avon Skin-So-Soft is also supposedly good for keeping the bugs away, but as bad a reaction as you had I would not rely on any home remedies alone.

And thanks for the reminder of how quickly our lives can be changed, and that we need to be thankful for all that we have!

Happy Memorial Day to everyone!