ATX Community

Forum Upgrade

Eric

Forum Upgrade Poll  

45 members have voted

1. 1. ATX Links at the top of the forum-- do you use them regularly? (Knowledgebase, Download Center, E-File Center)

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much, Eric, for your generous reply. I tried the "ATX Community" option and that looks better although the entire screen is still is filled with the header and closed topics. In fact, when I change the resolution to 1024x768, those things still command 75+% of the screen. Sort of a manageable pain, at least to me.

My monitors are both 17" flat panel. I do not have room for 2 larger sized monitors and really love having two monitors. There was good discussion on the value of 2 or even 3 or more in the last few months. Having a single larger monitor does not provide me with the flexibility of having 2 smaller ones. I have investigated the pros and cons of split screens vs dual monitors. So far, all of my software and what I think I will be using (but who knows?) until I retire works quite well, no problems. I have had to change the settings a couple of time when accessing outside content or certain websites at least to open. But then I change it back and all is well.

As I said earlier, I understand that this is peculiar to me and my bad eyesight so don't expect the world or this site to revolve around my needs! I do appreciate all you have done and especially for offering additional suggestions. We'll see what happens but I will still be loyal to this forum even if I have to squint or use a magnifier!

Thanks so much, Eric, for your generous reply. I tried the "ATX Community" option and that looks better although the entire screen is still is filled with the header and closed topics. In fact, when I change the resolution to 1024x768, those things still command 75+% of the screen. Sort of a manageable pain, at least to me.

My monitors are both 17" flat panel. I do not have room for 2 larger sized monitors and really love having two monitors. There was good discussion on the value of 2 or even 3 or more in the last few months. Having a single larger monitor does not provide me with the flexibility of having 2 smaller ones. I have investigated the pros and cons of split screens vs dual monitors. So far, all of my software and what I think I will be using (but who knows?) until I retire works quite well, no problems. I have had to change the settings a couple of time when accessing outside content or certain websites at least to open. But then I change it back and all is well.

As I said earlier, I understand that this is peculiar to me and my bad eyesight so don't expect the world or this site to revolve around my needs! I do appreciate all you have done and especially for offering additional suggestions. We'll see what happens but I will still be loyal to this forum even if I have to squint or use a magnifier!

I understand about the dual monitors. In fact, one of mine died over the weekend, and I felt claustrophobic using only one until I could get a replacement.

I will look into the possibility of creating a smaller template. I might have to remove a few features, such as the breadcrumb, or things of that nature which take up vertical space in the header.

I do have two other suggestions for you though. Try Google Chrome, its interface is very minimal, and leaves more room for actual web browsing. Or, try the full screen feature of your current browser. In Firefox and Internet Explorer, I think the shortcut key to toggle full screen mode is F11.

Is there a way to put something on the opening page (ATX Community Forum) to let me know which forums have new postings?

Yes, the icons to the left show if there are unread posts in each forum, and inside a specific forum, the icons on the left show if there unread posts in each thread.

As a test, you can scroll to the bottom and click the link that says "Mark Board As Read"

From then on, any time a post is made in any thread or any forum, the icon will change to show you. In the CleanCut theme, threads with unread posts are also in bold.

Examples

ATX Community theme

Unread posts/topics:

No Unread posts/topics:

CleanCut theme

Unread posts/topics:

No Unread posts/topics:

Thanks again, Eric. Please don't spend any of your precious time on creating a smaller template or whatever when I am the only person with issues. Everyone else is quite pleased with these changes and I can certainly manage.

What are "breadcrumbs" in this context?

I don't really understand your last paragraph. My browser is full screen on the monitor now. When I press F11, nothing changes. I have conflicts occasionally with Firefox and haven't yet tried Chrome but may do so. Thanks again for your help.

Where does one elect the CleanCut theme?

The drop-down menu at the very bottom left-hand corner of the website.

Thanks again, Eric. Please don't spend any of your precious time on creating a smaller template or whatever when I am the only person with issues. Everyone else is quite pleased with these changes and I can certainly manage.

What are "breadcrumbs" in this context?

I don't really understand your last paragraph. My browser is full screen on the monitor now. When I press F11, nothing changes. I have conflicts occasionally with Firefox and haven't yet tried Chrome but may do so. Thanks again for your help.

Breadcrumbs are the path to your current page, for example:

ATX Community > ATX Community Forum > General Chat > Forum Upgrade

Full screen mode makes the entire website go full screen, removing any hint of the browser interface, so your whole screen space can be used to browse the website. The Address bar, Back/Forward buttons, tabs, all of that is hidden until you bring your mouse to the top of the screen.

Thanks for the education! Breadcrumbs, eh? Clever, makes sense.

In my lower left corner I have only ATX Community and ATX Community (Large Text) as options. I don't see a third option, the Clean Cut.

I tried the F11 again to no avail. I wonder if that works only on one monitor or the primary monitor. I have my browser permanently open on my second monitor. The principal seems to address one of my issues, though, minimizing or hiding the extra browser stuff at the top. Maybe I will call my computer guy to see if he knows any tricks!

Thanks for the education! Breadcrumbs, eh? Clever, makes sense.

In my lower left corner I have only ATX Community and ATX Community (Large Text) as options. I don't see a third option, the Clean Cut.

I tried the F11 again to no avail. I wonder if that works only on one monitor or the primary monitor. I have my browser permanently open on my second monitor. The principal seems to address one of my issues, though, minimizing or hiding the extra browser stuff at the top. Maybe I will call my computer guy to see if he knows any tricks!

Hmm, that's very strange about your F11 thing. It should make the browser do something no matter which monitor it's on. What Browser and version are you using? I checked IE 8 and Firefox 3.5 and it did work for me. Some fancy/new keyboards mess with the operation of the function keys, so maybe try finding the option using your browser's menu? In Firefox, it's under the View menu. Not sure about where it is in different versions of IE (Tools menu, maybe).

I just realized that CleanCut wasn't available for anyone else but me. That's fixed now.

Okay, now I've gone and done it and can't get back. I tried Firefox with the same results with F11. Then I tried the other option, View something or other. And now I can't get the tool bars back or, my choice, the arrows and tabs to stick. The arrows and tabs return if I use the mouse but don't stay so I can't easily get to other sites like My Favorites. I can't get back to the View something or other either.

I still use IE7 per my computer guys recommendation. I didn't see any advantages for me to stay with IE8 but then I am not the techie user so many others on this forum are!

Anyway, if you now have suggestions on how to get my tool bar back, my menu and arrows and tabs to stay, I would be grateful. I have closed everything and reopened but not rebooted as yet. Actually trying to get some work done in the meantime!

Okay, now I've gone and done it and can't get back. I tried Firefox with the same results with F11. Then I tried the other option, View something or other. And now I can't get the tool bars back or, my choice, the arrows and tabs to stick. The arrows and tabs return if I use the mouse but don't stay so I can't easily get to other sites like My Favorites. I can't get back to the View something or other either.

I still use IE7 per my computer guys recommendation. I didn't see any advantages for me to stay with IE8 but then I am not the techie user so many others on this forum are!

Anyway, if you now have suggestions on how to get my tool bar back, my menu and arrows and tabs to stay, I would be grateful. I have closed everything and reopened but not rebooted as yet. Actually trying to get some work done in the meantime!

Oh no! Well, it seems that your function keys are not working as they should. Sometimes keyboard function keys have secondary functions associated with them, but they're all different. These secondary functions are sometimes printed above, below, or on the front side of the function key. There should be a way to toggle between primary and secondary functions--it's usually some button on the keyboard that does it, but it's hard to say without actually seeing your particular keyboard. Figuring out that issue would make switching between Normal and Full Screen mode very convenient.

You can usually exit Full Screen mode without using F11 by moving your mouse to the top of the screen to expose the browser controls and right-clicking to find the appropriate menu item. It may take some searching to find the correct spot to right-click.

Well, you are the best! I found the answer under Tools. Just unclick the Full Screen option. It didn't register earlier that the Tools icon in the Tabs bar was the same Tools menu in the File Edit, View, etc. bar. But now all is back to my comfort zone, arrows, menu bar, tabs. And I've learned even more about computer capabilities and options. Too much for me! And I think I will, for now, let my function keys rest. Thanks again!

Well, since my DSL connnection was down for nearly a week, I missed the beginning of the learning curve. I was totally lost the first time I accessed the Community after being back UP as of yesterday. I cannot say that I like it, but some of us older members don't take well to change. I will persevere and learn. This was a very frustrating week with no Internet Access, 2 days of Tax Education and getting a new Cell Phone. Too much new stuff for an older gal, but I am sure that in a few weeks, it will all seem as though it has always been there. Thanks Eric, for all that you do for us.

Well, since my DSL connnection was down for nearly a week, I missed the beginning of the learning curve. I was totally lost the first time I accessed the Community after being back UP as of yesterday. I cannot say that I like it, but some of us older members don't take well to change. I will persevere and learn. This was a very frustrating week with no Internet Access, 2 days of Tax Education and getting a new Cell Phone. Too much new stuff for an older gal, but I am sure that in a few weeks, it will all seem as though it has always been there. Thanks Eric, for all that you do for us.

Web software like this forum needs to be constantly updated so as to not become vulnerable to hacking. This was a major version change, and unfortunately the older version is no longer being maintained. You'll be happy to know, though, that these major upgrades don't happen often, so it'll likely be quite some time before the next big overhaul. :)

Please, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here or send me a private message!

I just wanted to put in my opinion. Sorry it's taken so long but I have had one of those rotten weeks. I lost a printer, my dsl modem bit the dust as well as my network router died, plus I'm still trying to find out if my software for 09 will be coming from ATX or TRX. It appears I've been lost somewhere along the way.

Enough about me! I have to say I love the changes. At first when I tried to log on the web page was unavailable, but as soon as I had access to the internet again I logged on and was shocked! I have played with all three difference settings and I have chosed the last one. The large print was too large (even though I wear glasses and have difficulty seeing) as I like to see all the options on my page without having to go looking for them. The regular setting was fine, but there is just something about the last one that I really like.

Thank you Eric for taking such good care of us, and I'm glad to see the Donation button again. Just as soon as I get a check in I'll be hitting it!

Thanks again,

Deb!

The top, pinned topics and header fill the entire screen so I always have to scroll down to see even the first topic.

I've tweaked the ATX Community theme just a little bit to try and use less vertical space.

The following graphic shows the current difference between the old layout and the current "ATX Community" skin.

The top two horizontal red lines show the difference between top of the Topic List.

The bottom two red lines show the difference between the top of the first post.

Removing the headers for "Important Topics" and "Forum Topics" reduced the difference considerably.

Eric, you are so sweet to tweak! It still is my issue, though, and with no one else expressing an opinion on this, it is just the way it is. When I open the screen (to General Chat), of the 10.5 horizontal inches available, 2 are the blue bar with IE, the url box, the File, Edit, etc. list and the tabs. The next 8.5 inches are the web site header and the pinned topics. So I always have to scroll down to see even the first topic. I can live with this, though, and really appreciate all you have done and are doing for the 999 others. You have been gracious enough to offer a couple of solutions which, for me, were not viable although genuinely appreciated. Thanks again and have a most blessed Thanksgiving; you are a blessing to all here, for certain!

Eric, you are so sweet to tweak! It still is my issue, though, and with no one else expressing an opinion on this, it is just the way it is. When I open the screen (to General Chat), of the 10.5 horizontal inches available, 2 are the blue bar with IE, the url box, the File, Edit, etc. list and the tabs. The next 8.5 inches are the web site header and the pinned topics. So I always have to scroll down to see even the first topic. I can live with this, though, and really appreciate all you have done and are doing for the 999 others. You have been gracious enough to offer a couple of solutions which, for me, were not viable although genuinely appreciated. Thanks again and have a most blessed Thanksgiving; you are a blessing to all here, for certain!

I realize that the header still takes up a lot of space.. there's just so much up there now, that because of the way it's structured, I can't change it much. But now, in comparison to the way it used to be, there should be very little difference in where the pinned topics start (bottom two red lines)

The header logo is bigger, but at the same time, that top location went from three rows down to two, saving space. The Breadcrumbs and pagination take up more space than they used to, but the removed headings for the pinned topics "Important Topics" gave back most of that space as well.

So while things do look bigger, it isn't very far off from where it was before.

With a little more tweaking, I'll be able to make it even with where it was before... although it may still not "feel" like an improvement.

Happy Thanksgiving!

EDIT: Oh! One last question. Does the Donations tab fit up with the rest of the tabs at the top at 800x600, or does it drop down to the next line?

Eric -- I've noticed one thing that I miss from the prior format. Maybe there's something I've missed, and if so please tell me!

We used to be able, in the topics page, to click on the list of "replied" to see who had replied. That doesn't work anymore that I can see. It was handy when checking to see if I had replied to a particular topic (but wouldn't have been the last one and therefore listed as last reply). Sometimes I don't remember if I sent in a reply that I'd meant to send, and the quick list was faster than going though all the responses looking for myself.

I'm not narcissistic enough to enjoy that. :blush:

On the topics page, in the column that shows the number of replies/views for each topic (Stats column), click on the number. For example, if it says "6 Replies" click the number 6, and it'll open a little popup window with that list of people along with the number of times each person has posted in that topic.