ATX Community

10th Wedding Anniversary

Booger

This question is specifically for the ladies on this forum.

My 10th wedding anniversary is coming up in early 2010, and

Mrs. Booger would like a ring to commemorate her putting

up with me for that long.

I would like to get her a diamond ring, but how many carats

should it be? I'm thinking 1 1/2 to 2.

Any thoughts?

Booger

Any thoughts?

Booger

How much can you afford?

Deb!

Any thoughts?

Booger

First, Congratulations!!!! Ten years is a nice milestone. (And a note to all the others -- no, I am -not- jealous.)

To answer your question properly, how about a little more info on your lady wife? Think of the sparklies she already has, and likes, and wears frequently.

Does she like/want/expect diamonds -- or does she prefer colored stones like rubies, sapphires, or emeralds? Is she the type who would prefer a smaller -flawless- stone with perfect color -- or does she want the ring equivalent of brass knuckles? A single eye-catcher, or a circle of matched stones? Does she like traditional styling or something a bit more modern or avant garde? A friend of mine who is a jeweler asks these questions (with a bit more subtle wording) when she has customers come in looking for anniversary presents.

Let us know, and you'll get some specific advice.

I suppose you could put a big bow around you, like a sash, but that's a bit difficult for her to wear, even if you actually are wrapped around her finger. :lol:

Catherine

For my anniversary in June, I received a 1.25 Karat Anniversary Ring which alternates princess and baguette diamonds. I absolutely love it. Lots of small diamonds, with lots of fire. You need to remember, though, to consider her preference for white or yellow gold. Of course, this was not my 10th, it was my 40th.

For our tenth, I gave my wife a heart attack. I designed and had two rings made. We took gold from our two families and some "very" small diamonds and worked them into the design. Each ring had five diamonds. Also used her favorite stone and mine and worked in the center of the design, a sapphire, which was the stone for the month we got married. After that, needless to say I kept my mouth shut for our 20th.

I talked my husband into diamond earrings for my 50th birthday, small squares, but very good. Then I pushed for a diamond pendant for our tenth anniversary, again, small but very nice. I bought myself a diamond bracelet with what would've been my January mortgage payment after I paid off my house last Christmas Eve day 2008. The most important thing: does she prefer one larger diamond or multiple smaller diamonds? And, as has been mentioned, is quality more important or less than size? And, don't forget the white vs. yellow gold vs. platinum issue. Post a picture. I actually went for the rectangular diamonds on the bracelet instead of the more sparkly round, because I wanted to wear it everyday with the other diamonds and needed it a bit tailored and more the shape of my watch and our wedding ring (which was all our birthstones for our blended family and no diamonds).

There are a couple of good jewelry designers in the Columbus area, so I'll probably

go that route. I know what the missus likes, but I would like to get her something

unique.

Thank you for all your responses. Have a great New Years Holiday!!

Booger

Now -that- is a nice route to take. Talk to the designer and take a couple of your wife's favorites so s/he can get a "flavor" of her style. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!