ATX Community

Reject for Preparer PIN?

Catherine

Had an e-file rejected -- message was mis-match between status of "may we discus" box and info in fields below. Specifically, it said that if there was a -name- in the box, then they wanted phone and PIN. But if it was "preparer" in the box, then they wanted NOTHING in those two fields.

Well, it WAS "Preparer" in the box and there was indeed -nothing- in the other two fields.

I put "preparer" in all-caps (as the reject error message had), put my PIN in the PIN box and then deleted it (in case there was a space as a 'character' in there), and re-submitted. We'll see.

Anyone else getting these -- and if so, how are you dealing?

Catherine

I had 7 rejects this AM due to same error as you guys. Up until last night no problems. Anyone contact IRS yet to see if they have problem?

There was a quick alert issued yesterday afternoon indicating that they were adding this field in their error info.

Earlier this year there was a thread on this board that indicated a change in the way they wanted that filled out, but I do agree the message we got doesn't make since as it was and always has been done the way they indicated. My clients like that I'm third party designee so I filled in my name, phone number, and selected a PIN so that it will go through.

Earlier this year I had to contact the practicioner hotline, and I was able to help my client with just the preparer on the name and using my PTIN number. I was hoping that if this was the true case that ATX would have a fix in the works in the preparer manager that will let us check this box and fill the info in one time. Maybe next year?

Deb!

I had 4 rejects this morning too for the same reason, that's why I'm looking here for an answer. I may put name and PIN in today just to get it to go. Hopefully ATX will fix the problem so as not to have to retype all info on every return.

I received he same rejects and called the e-file hot line and they said several calls had

been received by them on the same reject. Said they will call me back when resolved. The odd thing about this is that I e-filed 4 returns and all cleared except the one. I'll post

their answer when received.

I received he same rejects and called the e-file hot line and they said several calls had

been received by them on the same reject. Said they will call me back when resolved. The odd thing about this is that I e-filed 4 returns and all cleared except the one. I'll post

I think the phone number must be in there too

It only affected returns that where in the 6:00 p.m. drain. Earlier during the day it went through without any problems. The error field was added effective the 6 P.M. drain. This was accordign the the quick alert that I recieved.

Do not blame ATX for this. This is something that IRS has changed, this is not a programming problem from what I can find out. It would be nice however if ATX had a fix that would enable us to pre-enter this info on the preparer tab of the software.

Deb!

I, too, had the same problem...put in my PIN and resubmitted.

My re-submission (and a new return, as well) was just rejected.

Guess I'll put in my name etc and try yet again.

This is NOT the kind of aggravation we need this time of year. Even if the IRS made the change, CCH should have a fix for us.

Catherine

I deleted the IRS QuickAlert after my software issued an update. But, maybe this will help:

The IRS has a new requirement that third party designee information for preparers be included in the electronic file for Individual returns. On Release 2009.03001, changes were made to automatically default to preparer name, phone number and PIN. A disqualifying diagnostic still issues in the case where the Randomly Generate ERO PIN (1040 Only) option is selected in Office Manager > Alternative Filing Options > General, because the PIN number is not being recognized appropriately in the software. This issue will be resolved as soon as possible.

To eliminate the disqualifying diagnostic you may do any one of the following:

• Enter a specific ERO PIN (all return types) in Office Manager > Alternate Filing Options > General.
  • Enter a specific ERO PIN for the specific preparers in Office Manager > Configure Staff.
  • Enter a specific ERO PIN in each return on or General > Electronic Filing > Paperless E-file > ERO Self-Selected PIN (Interview Form EF-1, Box 53).

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Essentially, if you check the box, you must have all three fields: name, telephone, and PIN, and the PIN has to match what you use elsewhere. If you don't check the box, you don't have to fill in anything. They won't accept Preparer, and if Preparer or anything else in in the name box, then you have to have the phone and PIN. Call your software!

Make sure you input your name, telephone, and PIN, if you check the box. Or, uncheck the box until your software updates. CCH already sent out updates for ProSystem fx. (Those big bucks do buy me service! I even received a phone call from Kelly making sure I got the email re the update!)

Pro fx now pulls the info and fills in the fields, unless PINs are being randomly generated, then need to enter info in office manager until next update. So, ATX will probably fill in the fields in their next update. Has ATX posted any info for you?

I just 'customized' the 1040, page 2, to automatically fill in those boxes.

This whole thing is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. The d___ phone number is already there, two lines down! And the pin is in the efile already, too. Typical IRS stupidity!!! And the TIMING TOTALLY STINKS. Again typical of the IRS. Just like them trying to make everyone efile by forcing it, when they could do like several states do now.

Have you looked at an OH return? Right there on the front of the return, it says

"Try I-File or Ohio eForms

by visiting tax.ohio.gov.

Most electronic filers receive their refunds

in 5-7 business days by direct deposit!"

Now you know perfectly well that if the IRS would make that the case with their efiling, everyone would want to efile!

I just 'customized' the 1040, page 2, to automatically fill in those boxes.

This whole thing is STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. The d___ phone number is already there, two lines down! And the pin is in the efile already, too. Typical IRS stupidity!!! And the TIMING TOTALLY STINKS. Again typical of the IRS. Just like them trying to make everyone efile by forcing it, when they could do like several states do now.

Have you looked at an OH return? Right there on the front of the return, it says

"Try I-File or Ohio eForms

by visiting tax.ohio.gov.

Most electronic filers receive their refunds

in 5-7 business days by direct deposit!"

Now you know perfectly well that if the IRS would make that the case with their efiling, everyone would want to efile!

Yes, it is completely and utterly ridiculous when the info is -right there- already.

There is an old joke that if IBM ran the Kentucky Fried Chicken advertising campaign, they would be touting the fact that they serve "Hot Dead Bird".

I think IBM would do a better job than the IRS, though. ^_^