ATX Community

NT - Lawn Mower Suggestions?

Tax Prep by Deb

I need to replace my lawn mower. I purchased a new Honda Mower, but it has some serious problems and will be going back.

I want self-propelled and have about 1600 square feet of mainly flat lawn to mow. Does anyone have a particular make and model that they like? It has to be easy to use as I will be doing the mowing. Any help along this line will be appreciated as I have already wasted way too much time looking, researching, buying and returning. I want my next selection to be my last!

Deb!

I have a Toro GTS self-propelled. I have had it for about 10 years with no problems just routine maintenance. It always starts up right away and cuts the lawn pretty good. It is the one I would recommend and will buy the next time I need a new lawnmower.

Hope this helps

Steven L

Deb,

Don't get the mower in my post below. That one gives a whole new meaning to self-propelled. :)

I can't remember when I had laughed so much. Your post was perfect on timing! My old mower would take you for a quick jog when you engaged the self-propelled feature. The funny thing is that on this Honda the one thing most people disliked was how touchy the self-propelled part was. Some said you either go too slow or way to fast. I had that sucker pulled back as far as I could get it and it was about 1/2 the speed of my old mower.

I hate change! I love my old mower but it has broke to many times in the last year and I have no one to fix it for me. So I pretty much have no choice but to go new.

I'm looking at a Toro at Home Depot, thinking about throwing in one of the day laborers that was on your post as well.

Deb!

Before I switched to a lawn service, I used an electric mower. Once you figure out how to lay out the extension cord in a certian pattern, it's easy to do the mowing with very little effort to keep the cord in the right place. Aside from no exhaust fumes or keeping up with gasoline & oil, you never have to worry about the thing failing to start. Electrics are also very light, so they're much easier to push. Initial purchase cost is also very reasonable.

>>1600 square feet of mainly flat lawn to mow<<

A cow is nice. Sheep and goats need a lot of managing to avoid over-grazing. Actually, I don't know much about lawns. They're basically illegal here in Santa Cruz. The eco-nazis cause too much grief, so most of us just park cars there if it's in front or grow sensemilla out back.

We have a 26hp Sears lawn tractor with a 45" mower deck which is my husband's new boy toy! We also added a snow blower to the front of it...and that was really great with all the snow we had this winter. Of course we have an acre and a half of grass, plus he mows a neighbor's who can't do it for herself anymore, and he clears out our driveway and the neighbor's on either side of us. Keeps him busy and entertained! AnnieR

>>1600 square feet of mainly flat lawn to mow<<

A cow is nice. Sheep and goats need a lot of managing to avoid over-grazing.

Cows leave LARGE 'deposits' that are smelly and nasty to step in. Goats leave little 'pills' that are much drier and less smelly. But a mower makes a lot less work than either.

We live by an acre or so of woods and have lots of trees. Our front yard is ground cover and stones in a pretty design that looks like a stream flowing. We put out baskets of flowers with a few things that bloom in the shade. No mowing at all. The back is some scraggly grass and assorted wildflowers and wild strawberries, lots of bird feeders on a plot just for that and stone patio. Truly minimal maintenance.

We live by an acre or so of woods and have lots of trees. Our front yard is ground cover and stones in a pretty design that looks like a stream flowing. We put out baskets of flowers with a few things that bloom in the shade. No mowing at all. The back is some scraggly grass and assorted wildflowers and wild strawberries, lots of bird feeders on a plot just for that and stone patio. Truly minimal maintenance.

That sounds so pretty! After 4/15, please upload a picture or two!

Catherine

I will try to remember - along with the diving photos. There is a chance I have something around already as this work was primarily done for the brunch following our son's wedding last May. The guests were nearly all from out of town so I wanted to have a good sendoff. The house, in and out, never looked better before or since!

I need to replace my lawn mower. I purchased a new Honda Mower, but it has some serious problems and will be going back.

I want self-propelled and have about 1600 square feet of mainly flat lawn to mow. Does anyone have a particular make and model that they like? It has to be easy to use as I will be doing the mowing. Any help along this line will be appreciated as I have already wasted way too much time looking, researching, buying and returning. I want my next selection to be my last!

Deb!

To me the Snapper mower is the best one to buy. My wife doesn't mind using it.

I bought a used Toro Recycler self-propelled mulching mower five or six years ago at a garage sale for $40. Looked about 10 years old at the time. Even being a scrawny out of shape accountant I've started the thing with one pull every time. So I'd highly recommend something from your local garage sales, though I think this is even a better idea: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/31390031#31390031

I bought a used Toro Recycler self-propelled mulching mower five or six years ago at a garage sale for $40. Looked about 10 years old at the time. Even being a scrawny out of shape accountant I've started the thing with one pull every time. So I'd highly recommend something from your local garage sales, though I think this is even a better idea: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/31390031#31390031

I would love an animal of some sort to take care of the lawn however city ordinances wouldn't allow it.

I have selected a Toro Recycler self-propelled mulching mower. I'll give it a try on Friday. As to buying one at a garage sale, well if I wanted a used mower I would have mine repaired. I want something I don't have to wonder if it will work this week. I want to know that when I'm ready to mow my mower is ready to mow. Fortunately I can buy it from a place that will allow me to use it for a month and if I don't like it I can take it back. So I will keep my fingers crossed that this one will do. Otherwise it will be back to the drawing board.

Deb!