ATX Community

Test for "Old Kids"

Daune/CA

This is a test for old kids. Answers are printed below, but do not cheat!

1. After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, "Who was that masked man?" Some one would answer, "I don't know, but he left this behind." What did the Lone Ranger leave behind?

2. When the Beatles first came to the U. S., in 1964,we all watched them on _____________________ Show.

3. "Get your kicks, _____________________________."

4. "In the jungle, the mighty jungle, __________________________."

5. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we all danced under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the ______________________________

6. Red Skelton's hobo character was named ___________________, and Red always ended his television show by saying, "Good Night and _________ ____________."

7. Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their __________________.

8. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front was called ___________ or _________.

9. In 1972, Don MacLean sang a song about "the day the music died". This was a tribute to _________________.

10. We can remember the first satellite sent into orbit. The Russians did it. It was called ________________.

ANSWERS

1. a Silver Bullet

2. The Ed Sullivan Show

3. on Route 66.

4. the lion sleeps tonight

5. the limbo, remember the limbo stick

6. Freddy, the Freeloader; Good Night and God Bless

7. Draft Cards, some burned bras, but not flags as some have guessed

8. Beatle or Bug

9. Buddy Holly

10. Sputnik

How did you do?

I missed a couple-> not because I didn't know them, but my memory failed me.

One was the draft cards, which is really odd because I served in the military from 1966-1970.

For a little fun, here's a cute rendition of #4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUMwu_gXK7Q

>>some burned bras<<

As I recall, there was more than one political issue at the time.

>>8. Beatle or Bug<<

"Beatles" were English. The German cars were "beetles." That was about as benign as the slang got. It was mostly negative, like "Hitler's car." Only 32 HP, didn't even bother having a radiator. But if you are REALLY a VW buff, you remember flipping the little turn indicators at each other.

>>9. Buddy Holly<<

The Big Bopper and Richie Valens as well as Buddy Holly.