ATX Community

Printer for ATX

mdmcfarland

My printer may be dying. I had a HP LaserJet4Plus. I am comfortable with HP printers. What printer do any of you use? I don't want to spend a fortune.

I had a HP LaserJet4Plus that also died. I bought a HP laserJet 4200/4300 series. I dont remember the price but this was a few years ago and the machine is still doing a great job.

Well, I bought a couple of HP 4050's several years ago, when they were the newest model, and although I really want a new printer, the darn things are so good that I just can not justify replacing them. Darn it, they just keep on working perfectly, fast enough and cheap enough on supplies, that I guess I am stuck with them for another year at least! You can find one on eBay for anywhere from $50 to $150, depending on what you want with it. There are extra paper trays for it as cheap as $10, and I'd definitely get one of those, unless you buy one with at least two paper trays.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?h...8%26catref%3DC6

There is one there with memorgy upgrade, network card, and three paper trays, that I would buy if I were buying one today. Current bid is only $31 but I'm guessing it will go for $150 or about. Check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Laserjet-4050TN-405...1QQcmdZViewItem

My printer may be dying. I had a HP LaserJet4Plus. I am comfortable with HP printers. What printer do any of you use? I don't want to spend a fortune.

I too love my HP Laser Printers. I have a 1300... (the upgrade from the 1200). It's a workhorse just like the 1200. Fast and dependable, and I can get toner cartridges that print 4,000 copies.

I also have a HP 1015 at home, smaller, and a little slower but just as dependable. The 1015 you can get for around 100.00 on the hp website. sometimes cheaper on their outlet for refurburbished models.

I recommend them both highly.

Taxtrio

I used a HP LaserJet 5Plus for about 5years. It still works quite well. I needed to set up my new home office as I retired from my CFO position on September 1, 2007, so I selected a HP 3055 which is an all inone unit. It has fax, copier, printer, scanner, etc. It cost me about $400.

I used it last year and found it to be much faster than the 5plus. The only drawback is it uses alot more toner than the 5 plus. I have now learned to refill my own cartidges and save quite a bit of money.

Good luck with your choice.

Micke Dubin CPA

Well, what is recommended for ATX is and PCL type printer. (i.e. HP LJ 5000). You might be able to use a GDI type (i.e. All in types) but results vary with each user. There is a KB on the issue for GDI printers if they don't print: http://techkb.atxforms.com/TSTKB.nsf/0/4b4...ea?OpenDocument . Below is in case anyone reading this hasn't registered for MyATX (www.atxers.com)

Troubleshooting GDI (Graphical Device Interface) Printers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When printing with a GDI (Graphical Device Interface) printer, you may encounter one or more of the following problems:

Forms are not printing correctly;

Various error messages; or

Entire return does not print.

GDI (Graphical Device Interface) is a Microsoft® Windows® -based printer language, which uses your Windows® resources to process the print job. Rather than using on-board memory from the printer itself, it uses the computer to render pages before sending them as a bitmap for direct printing, using the printer only as a print engine. GDI is used by most applications to display images on a monitor. When printing from a application to a GDI printer, there is no need to convert the output to another format. GDI printers are sometimes called "host-based" printers because they rely on the host computer to rasterize images.

To solve these problems, please try the following:

1. Reinstall the printer driver by following the instructions in Document ID # 533.

2. Shut down all background applications and/or adjust your computer's Hardware Acceleration Settings by following the instructions inDocument ID # 1608.

3. Try a smaller print job.

4. Change printer settings to print directly to the printer.

5. Change the print resolution to 300 dpi (dots per inch).

6. Run the REPAIR.EXE program utility by following the instructions in Document ID # 43.

NOTE: Because of the nature of GDI print drivers that use Windows® memory, installing an alternate print driver (e.g., Hewlett-Packard® (hp®)) will not work.

I have used an HP 1320 for a couple of years. Very fast and beautiful output. The cost of the toner units was a bit shocking at first (~$130), but I have been able to get good cheap refurbished cartridges for about $30.

I used to use Brother laser printers, and I still have one at home. My problem with those, despite the great low initial cost, was that the drums would wear out, and the replacement cost was about the same as a new Brother printer. I would burn through a printer every year, and I felt guilty filling up the landfills with my old Brother printers. I feel like the HP is the more economical and ecological long run answer. Maybe I am out to lunch, but I am trying to be good!

I too own 2 printers, and they both are HP. I am not too specific on most items, but only purchase HP printers. My main 'workhorse' is my HP 3800DTN which I totally love, and my HP L7780 All in One, which I use as my fax and copier. They serve as a nice complement to each other.

I find it somewhat entertaining that most of you have multifunction printers when ATX doesn't support them.

But all of you are saying they work great, which is awesome.

I've been using an HP 4100 for the past 2 years. It works great. I get toner cartridges from Databazaar.com at good prices too.

Eli

My HP 3330 just gave up the ghost (all in one and the scanner bed died; still works as a printer) and I just got a LaserJet M2727. Much faster and it has a much higher per month rating, which is why the 3300 died; I guess it wasn't meant for what I put it through during the season!

I guess this is my luck day! They were able to repair my printer! It wasn't real cheap, but a lot less than a new printer. I hope this lasts the whole season.

I have used HP LaserJet 1200 since year 2000 to present. It fasts, good, cheap ($300), save money for cartridge.

You can go to CROfficeTech.com to buy cartridge ( Half price on the market ).

Tom777