ATX Community

On-Line Backup

Janitor Bob

I have decided to go with an on-line back-up as opposed to my previous method of backing up to an external drive and puting the external drive into a fireproof/waterproof safe.....It has just becaome too much of a pain.

My question is what on-line backup companies to you folks use?....I am interested in pricing and who is best/cheapest. Mozy looks good, but I have not heard anything about them. One of the links on this community is for Virtual Managed Solutions. I know they had a $9.99, 10gb back-up, but when I tried to email Kyle, my e-mail bounced...So I'm not sure he is even still with VMS.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have decided to go with an on-line back-up as opposed to my previous method of backing up to an external drive and puting the external drive into a fireproof/waterproof safe.....It has just becaome too much of a pain.

My question is what on-line backup companies to you folks use?....I am interested in pricing and who is best/cheapest. Mozy looks good, but I have not heard anything about them. One of the links on this community is for Virtual Managed Solutions. I know they had a $9.99, 10gb back-up, but when I tried to email Kyle, my e-mail bounced...So I'm not sure he is even still with VMS.

Thanks

I used to use MozyPro but dropped them after a couple of years because I ran into a weird, recurring problem where the backups would stall and go _nowhere_ for sometimes hours on end. Sometimes quitting the b/u and restarting it fixed that, sometimes not. But what really got me annoyed was that Mozy seemed to have NO interest in fixing the problem and accused me of having poor quality/low speed internet access (NOT true). Then I read in a user forum that they knew of problems and were stonewalling people. Don't know if _that_ part was true, but the service response suddenly picked up after that posting -- briefly.

I switched to iDrive several months ago and have been pleased. In addition to -very- fast backups (it just did a 300MB backup in less than 2 minutes), it saves versions. So a little while ago when I accidentally over-rode a file I wanted to keep (_thought_ I'd saved a new version to work on but hadn't) I was able to go back and restore the prior version from iDrive. That was nice. They are a bit cheaper than MozyPro, as well (which itself was cheaper than VMS -- and Kyle isn't there any more, I've been told).

There are other services I've heard recommended on other fora and I can go back and get some names if you'd like.

Catherine

Thanks

I am using Carbonite - I think it was $59.99 for one year. Thankfully, I have not had to pull anything back yet, but this is the service my IT guy recommended.

I use Carbonite too and I like it's constant backup. I still use flash drives and an external hd backup but I like knowing that it will be diligent, even when I'm not. It's $54.95 per year, very inexpensive for the peace of mind. Here's a link that saves a little bit more: http://www.subscription.com/carbonite/

I have been using Back Blaze. Totally effortless, only 55.00 per year. Backups everytime I am using the machine like Carbonite, it backups when I fail to. Also, Back Blaze makes a ghost image of your computer that you can retreive from them if you have to do a complete re-install of the operating system.

I have been using VMS for backup and service. It looks like I will be changing backup providers very soon. I do like them for service. Their employees are great. Yesterday I decided to check my backups and found that they haven't been done in six days. I called and eventually they found that they had a system wide failure. This is at least the second time that this has happened to me. One of my biggest complaints is that someone somewhere should know if the backups are working or not and let the customers know. It is still not fixed. I'm pretty sure that it is snowing up there, but I would have liked a callback to let me know what is going on. I know that a few of you use them, so you might check and see if your daily backups are being done.

Thanks for the warning. I'd disabled VMS back-ups when my computer was acting up in December to preserve my files as they were when the computer was still behaving. Have a new computer set up now, and just today called and had them set me up to back-up each night to them and to my external hard drive. I'll definitely check tomorrow.

Mozy: Free version, used as designed, backup on a time schedule online with a copy stored locally

Carbonite: Paid, used as designed, nearly constant backup with a copy stored locally

Cobian: Free, used to backup onto my own secure site as well as a local copy

Manually: Backups on a rotation of DVD's

Manually: Backups on a second - storage use only - hard drive

Manually: SkyDrive - additional copy of personal photos

"Hands off" options are good, and keep one from forgetting to make the backups, and require little management. BUT, little or no management also means little or no control when things go bad. For about $5 a month, you can have your own shared server space on a reputable and reliable hosting company, and have at least one online backup you manage yourself.