ATX Community

NT - What's for lunch?

Ray in Ohio

I will be at my yacht having lunch with a few tax clients and then I will prepare a few returns, thus qualifying my yacht as a business expen$e, including, but not limited to insurance, taxes, interest, slip rental, fuel, maintenance, repairs, and depreciation.:-)

Don't forget to take SMR to and from said yacht. Fill up with gas and buy a snack, and throw those in there, too. Also, be sure to call a client on your cell phone to qualify that. Try to get a hair cut on the way as well.

Well, alas, my wife surprised me. Instead of soup, it was an angus burger (corn fed) on a bun. Yum yum.

I admire you folks that can have a beer at lunch. As fatigued as I am, half a beer would put me on the floor right under the desk for a nice siesta. Needless to say, that would not be very productive.

Don't forget to take SMR to and from said yacht. Fill up with gas and buy a snack, and throw those in there, too. Also, be sure to call a client on your cell phone to qualify that. Try to get a hair cut on the way as well.

How can I take the SMR on a boat? Does the IRS have a table for nautical miles or SNMR?

I had a microwaved 65 cent chicken pot pie full of preservatives and sodium. It was delicious and reminded me of childhood ;). My Mom cooked 3 meals a day when I was growing up, and those meals did not involve processed food, but when my Dad went for his 2 weeks active duty every year . . . it was chicken pot pies, TV dinners, sugared cereal, and Chef Boyardee. I used to think I was really deprived as a child. Some of my friends got these foods every day! Now I'm relieved to have avoided the chemicals and wouldn't let my son eat any of them.

Wow. I am rambling on. I must have needed a break!

Lunch? What the heck is that? Does it go on the 4562 or the Sch D?

I saw that another preparer put lunch expenses on form 2106. The taxpayer was a food runner and when I said "all restaurants I know provide free food for employees". Taxpayer replied "Yes, but I don't like their food". I asked him, "How many restaurants do you go to provide your services?". He said, "the company only has one restaurant, so I only work in one place". I said "Even if your employer didn't provide lunch for you, your lunch expenses are not deductible". I calculated his return using the standard deduction, told him the results and I handed his W-2 and wished him good luck.

I saw that another preparer put lunch expenses on form 2106. The taxpayer was a food runner and when I said "all restaurants I know provide free food for employees". Taxpayer replied "Yes, but I don't like their food". I asked him, "How many restaurants do you go to provide your services?". He said, "the company only has one restaurant, so I only work in one place". I said "Even if your employer didn't provide lunch for you, your lunch expenses are not deductible". I calculated his return using the standard deduction, told him the results and I handed his W-2 and wished him good luck.

I had BK number 2 for lunch today. It was good.