ATX Community

What are you going to study in 2011?

Pacun

I am traveling this Sunday, April 17, to Central America for one week. I will miss two days but it doesn't matter because I hate when people wait to the last minute to prepare their taxes.

I am going to study:

1.- Quickbooks

2.- Full Acrobat

3.- ONE tax treaty with the help of a lawyer (who will do it free). I have noticed that most of the tax treaties are about the same.

4.- I will file form 23 to become an Enrolled Agent and I will attend one IRS tax forum.

How about you? What will you study? Are you EA or CPA?

Thank you for participating.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to study retiring. If I pass the course, that should take care of my CE for many years to come.

You are too young to retire. Just raise your price and that will reduce the amount of returns you will prepare and you will make about the same amount of money.

I did that this year and managed to get under 100.

But next year is a bigger challenge.

Unless I can get under 10, I'll have to start eflinging.

Think I can select 9 who will accept a 1,000 percent increase?

(If I managed to pull this off, I'd call it the Gideon principle on steroids)

Not too much....I have nearly all the 80 units of CPE I need for my 2 year CPA cycle already and the cycle isn't over until Aug. 31, 2012. I've got to watch my expenses closely since I lost my job in March, so I'll miss going to conferences. But as much as I learn, I can't justify the expense...house payments and health insurance come first. Wouldn't mind learning more about Quickbooks though. I'll probably do the tutors that come with the program. I just picked up the corporate returns for a personal client, and that will help.

For those like Joan, I do lots of free IRS webinars, teleforums, etc. The old Tax Talk Today has new sponsorship and a low package price. My local NY/CT-ATP has good, inexpensive education, but my local NAEA and NATP chapters are a bit more. There are a couple of financial houses that provide free education, too, online. I've used Janney, Montgomery; and someone posted about another that I tried a couple of times but no longer (computer problems this season!) have the link. QB has free education online and scattered throughout the country.

I get a lot through my CSTC meetings, as well as ASWA. They give me a chance to network and get low priced CPE. My local CSTC meetings are $22 and have a great dinner plus 2 hours of CPE. I'm hoping to start teaching too; I learned so much about the new RDP rules in CA in the last few months I think I have a bit to offer!

Yeah, I'd like to find out what it's like to read a book too. I love history, but I haven't even read a novel in a few years. Frikkin' internet.

I spent much of yesterday studying "what a b*tch it is to try to get affordable health insurance when you're 50 and have pre-existing conditions", even if they are all treatable by generic meds. To all you free-market anti "obamacare" folks: The lack of national healthcare is the biggest business creation stifler out there. You have to be a wage slave or be married to a wage slave to start a business, or be old enough to get medicare. Otherwise, you are tied to your job or without insurance.

One of my generic meds is $112 w/o insurance. I wonder what it costs in Canada?

End of rant, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

>>I am working on my MS in Accounting. In 2 weeks, I will be half way through. I plan to sit the CPA exam next summer. I am just finishing my financial reporting class. Next up - cost accounting. <<

Wow, that's way too ambitious for me. Come to think of it, all I want to do right now is trim the roses, lift some iron, and finally learn the whole fretboard. I even cancelled cable TV this morning, and this screen isn't helping. I'll check in again around update time.