ATX Community

IRS return preparer job analysis survey

mircpa

Hello

I received email from IRS to complete return preparer job analysis survey. Did anybody else also received. I want to know if this in fact email generated from IRS or is a spam

thanks

mircpa

I got the email too. Not sure yet if I want to complete the survey.

I received it, also. And, had been informed (by NAEA maybe?) that the IRS would be sending out surveys. Don't have 30 minutes available until I get out about a dozen ES recalculations. Maybe more, because CT raised their tax rates retroactive to 1 January!

I started the survey and then stopped.

They ask you to rate the importance of the various aspects of tax return preparation.

To me, everything on the long list was "very important". After about five pages (out of 15) I stopped because I did not see how this was serving any real purpose. Could be that later in the survey they go into more meaningful survey questions.

I received the survey yesterday and completed it. At the end they ask you to give a percentage "rating" to each area of expertise... clearly, Prometric is using this survey to figure out what to include on the new preparer test, and how much weight to give each area. I think it's important, and am happy they're coming to us for our input. So if you've got the time I think it only benefits those who receive it to take the time to complete it... it really only take 15-20 minutes anyway. Just keep in mind while you're going through it to treat it like an opinion survey concerning what you'd like to be tested on starting this fall. Of course, any competent preparer would answer "very important" to every question, but think in degrees of relative importance as to what makes a good preparer, and it'll make it more relevant.

If the IRS goes out of business, wouldn't that put us out of business too?

Even if the 16th Amendment was rescinded TODAY we'd be busy for years dealing with non-filers and old issues. Then we'd be even busier dealing with state issues and doing accounting for all the people who suddenly had money to put into their own new or existing businesses!