ATX Community

Social Security Statements

Janitor Bob

According to the SSA website, 1099-SSAs won't be available until the end of January. They can't be downloaded online, and if you don't receive one or lose yours, you have to ask for a replacement by mail. I think the website is saying all that trying to keep people from calling and bugging the agency about them. I think it's curious that the SSA doesn't make them available online for download. The SSA is usually 5 or 10 years ahead of the IRS when it comes to not being stupid about this kind of stuff ( to wit: the plain-paper W2s/W3s for the SSA vs the red-ink 1099s/1096s for the IRS; being able to file W2s online for free vs having to purchase software to efile 1099s; and being able to verify SSNs for W2s easily vs an insipidly complex registration and online verification procedure for FEINs for 1099s).

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...amp;p_topview=1

Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing or reading that the SSA plans to re-issue 1099-SSAs (some or all, I don't know) because of some snafu. Maybe check out ssa.gov. I know some people already have theirs. The website just tells everybody the 31st of January in a vain, pathetic attempt to cut down on calls to the agency.

We received our SSA-1099 statements last week. We live in MI which might or might not help States of WI, FL, TX. CA and IL had a total of 728,609 forms sent out that had wrong information on them and are being reiussed. Information is from previous post was in JSOnline journal sentiinel posted Jan 16 http://jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=708198

For someone who has been drawing SocSec for years, you can calulate the SocSec benefit by taking last year's figure and factoring in the percentage increase to arrive at the current year's benefit. So if the client has lost their form, absence of the SSA-1099 isn't a big issue unless they have deductible medical expenses.

I received my social security statement this week (Jan. 14-19). :)

This client received it in the mail today.....After accusing me of losing it. She swore that she received it on Jan 2 and gave it to me.....She did not even apologize today when she called to tell me she received it.

Man...some times dealing these bitter elderly clients can be tough....You cannot please them and they always think you charge too much.