ATX Community

and then there were none?

joanmcq

Me too! The last one going out was picked up yesterday.

I have 7 extensions, 5 of which are complete but won't be out before the deadline, and the remaining 2 are 99.99% complete. One is waiting on a K-1 from an estate, the other needs basis from a mutual fund.

• Like 1

New client in April last year. Had regular W2 job + self employment. Started going over what he needed for the Sch C. Knew he wouldn't have in time and I filed extension. Never heard back - figured the self-employment reporting requirements scared him off.

He called yesterday (4/16) @ 5:00 PM:

TP - May I make an appointment to file or extend for 2011? Also need to wrap to do 2010.

Me - I'm not taking any more appointments right now, but if you give me income and expense totals, I'll do an extension for you.

TP - OK, I'll get you something in the next couple of days.

Me - Well the deadline is tomorrow.

TP - I'll send you something tonight.

Needless to say I didn't get anything last night. Maybe I'll send in a $0 extension (or maybe not) - depends on how I feel. I know I have no obligation to do it, but he was referred to me by his brother. His brother is very nice and had all his stuff done weeks ago. So I have no desire to cause any ill feelings.

Wow! I always knew we were supposed to make a good estimate, but I never had heard of one actually being voided for a bad estimate!

Can it also be voided if the estimate is OK, but they decided not to pay the balance with the extension? I know it adds interest, but can it also void the extension?

I do try to always get as much info as I can to file an extension. Sometimes that means basing on the previous year. But sometimes you just don't have the info. In this case, I only have partial 2010 info.

I guess I'll see if he sends anything later today.

Wow as well. I've filed zillions of $0 extensions and never had one voided. The vast majority of those are clients from whom I don't get even one piece of paper 'til mid-August (I haven't bothered to tell those folks about just ONE extension being good 'til October). Sometimes there's no way for me to make any guess -- a refund IF they paid the estimated taxes I gave them coupons for; owe if not; how much depends on wildly varying income -- in those situations $0 is the best you can give.

I should have my head examined. I allowed a client to make an appointment for 5:00 this evening. I can't complain to much he is the wonderfull person that moved my parents to the assisted living home on a moments notice. And he finished the move after midnight on Sunday the 19th of February. Maybe this is pay back.

Other than that I just E-filed my Last 7 returns about 30 minutes ago ( still no AKS yet).

Thanks every one for a great year of conversation, amusement, and of course education. Your all great.

I had one friend (former co-worker) that used to always come in on the last day at around 8:00. Simple return 1 W2, interest, mortgage, RE tax. Could do it in my sleep (and I think I did). Then we would visit for a bit. And I knew I was done. It was a good wind-down.

Now making an appointment for a new client and having to explain what's needed on a Sch C? Not gonna happen!

"But with self-employed people that figure can change dramatically from year to year. And if you don't have 2010 (or anything prior), it's a total WAG (not even scientific enough to get the SWAG label)."

It still only needs to be a SWAG on the liability not refund or balance due.

That's why my extensions are such a bitch. And CA will take a federal extension, but if you have a balance due, can void on their whim. Therefore, parents picking up the vouchers for the $12 due on their kid's return. And a lot of state vouchers going out.

Last minute screw up: I sent a PDF to a client with what I thought were the estimate payments and 4868. Luckily we talked a bit ago, and she said something about sending in $54. Huh? the extension payment was more like $4000. So I checked; I sent the 1040-V, not the 4868.

Luckily too, the West Sacramento post office is open until midnight. Whew. She had to interrupt her dinner at a friends and run home. And I felt so good about getting her vouchers uploaded before I went to sleep so she could take care of them in the morning and not rush.

My screw-up today was a bit bigger. Everything was done - just waiting on signature & payment method (US & NC returns / not extensions). Got e-mail around noon giving checking account and signed 8879. Went into file & fixed signature date & sent e-file. Right after US acked and I let them know, I noticed I hadn't entered the EFW info. GRRR. NC was still at filing center & I stopped it. Went into software and saw that EFW wasn't a choice - only direct deposit. Not sure if it's a NC thing or a software thing or what. Sent e-file and notified client that they had to mail 2 checks.

By the time they got my e-mail and voice mail, they weren't sure if they could find an open post office (around 5:30 their time). I'll reduce my fee & pay any interest that US & NC decide to charge. Gotta just love the season-end problems.

I had lots of people give me nothing this year, and told me not like last year, and a few new clients still looking for last year's returns. So, I did more $0 extensions than ever before. CT site had troubles for a while (CT can't be filed via software). But, I efiled all that I could and extended the rest. Our own extensions are in to federal and CT electronically and IL via mail with a check. Filed NC on their website. CO doesn't seem to have an extension form, just a way to pay and that client retired without a pension, moved to CO and isn't likely to owe. I hope. Another one of those $0 that I'm not sure about with big change since 2010. Ended up sending hubby to the PO twice today: once with our own IL extension and then again with three CT trusts that I just couldn't work out extending on the CT website (think I need an account for each client as CT has been having trouble with the "bulk filer" numbers they assign me). I did efile the trust federal extensions that had me worried about name controls recently. I'm frazzled, but I had new clients, referrals, this year so a good year. Lots of extensions to keep the money coming in for months to come.