ATX Community

Passed the RTRP exam with very limited study

frazzled

When I signed up for the exam, I decided I wanted to see if I had enough tax knowledge to pass without studying. After all, what have I been doing for the past 14+ years? If I didn't have enough knowledge to pass a "basic" tax exam, maybe I needed to rethink my career! I can't say I didn't study at all, I did a quick review of Circ 230.

After a very restless night, I went into the exam running on fumes and forgot to take some 5 hour energy before starting the exam! ???? I found the test to be pretty straightforward with just a few ambiguous questions. The reference tools were clunky to use. I received my passing result as I left the testing center. I wish I knew the actual score. Did I barely squeak by? Or did I pass with flying colors? Was I average? Do I need more study on a certain topic? We will never know.... How can we improve upon our weaknesses if we don't know what our weaknesses might be?

Btw, I love to take quizzes and tests, and I am a good test taker. If you tend to have test taking anxiety problems, you may want to study to help boost your confidence!

Side note to RitaB: you can do it, no problem! ????????

• Like 1

Congratulations.

I agree, if I am a cook for 10 years and they asked me about the ingridients and preparation of the dishes I have been preparing for 10 years, I think I shouldn't be nervous and I should get the correct answer 75 percent of the time (which will be a passing grade).

• Like 2

My question upon reviewing Cir 230, is are we actually allowed to use those letters behind our names as, for instance, on our business cards, etc. My congrats to Frazzled. I feel much like she did. I go on the 23rd of May and am on and off nervous. Trying not to think about it.

Come on, Rita, join the crowd. I really don't believe that I have taken a test in over thirty years and that was for an Auto Salesperson's license; which I hold to this day and really have never used. (In the interest of my husband and sons' business). Am sure I will become much more uneasy as they day approaches, but did experience a great feeling of relief once I had made the appointment.

Get some good rest the night before, take a deep breath, and do NOT get ruffled if the "right" answer isn't one of the choices - sometimes it isn't there and you will get at least partial credit no matter what.

The trick is to read the questions carefully - take your time there as they can be worded to make you -think- they're asking for one thing when they're really asking for another. And don't second-guess yourself - I always found in practice tests that the ones I went back, over-thought, and changed were the ones I got wrong; the first answer was far more likely to be correct!

• Like 1

Actually, one of my clients who specializes in massage is bring her chair to my office and giving me my first massage ever, the day before. I keep reminding myself of how easy it is to answer most questions just when someone ask. So, yes, second guessing oneself could be chaotic.

• Like 1

Yes, add my congratulations! Glad to know we do not have to invest a lot of time studying. I don't have it. Going thru a lengthy divorce and having problems with a herniated disc. Was not sure when I was going to study while juggling my pain in the neck and pain in the @$$.

• Like 1

You can do it! In fact, earning the RTRP is one thing you have some control over right now. Your pain in the @$$ is at the mercy of the legal system, and won't ever really go away due to the children. So, living well is the best revenge!

• Like 2