ATX Community

Slow Software

mcrowley

Received a message saying rollover was incomplete due to update on 2011 being behind (paraphrasing). Closed both 2011 & 2012. Reopened 2011 to check on updates. Maybe; opened really fast. Reopened 2012. Lagged on the updating; then closed on it's own. What was that!!??

Opened again. Rolled return and get a message that it is "incomplete due forms which were out of date or mismatched." Instructed to open and close the return in 2011 (with no need to save) and reopen in 2012!!

Please tell me this isn't going to be necessary on each and every return! :spaz:

Return finally open but with many form in the "rollover when available list" and it did take over 2 minutes to open.

Elfling

Patience, friends. You know there are always problems early, but given the massive FAIL in DC this year, you have to assume there are going to be issues for a while. But since everyone knows about the delay, they should at least understand why you can not give them a rush.

I know it's a pain living through the early software issues, but you also know they WILL be fixed. And honestly, I would not be rolling over returns yet, period. Except for a TEST return or two. It's going to be changed several times before they get all the code changes into the software, because you know that there are so many ways that one seemingly simple change can end up affecting multiple other forms. We need to accept that reality and give the software folks time to get those entire 157 pages incorporated.

Sorry KC you are off base with this one. I am giving CCH a pass on delivering forms, but the speed of the software is unacceptable. There are no forms to populate. I upgraded my computers this year to Win 7, Quad Core, 8GB ram machines. They scream through the 2011 software. It takes over a minute to open a return in 2012.

I know you don't read the "other" board, but ATX is getting an earful. They are deleting posts from angry customers at a rate I have not seen since the birth of this board.

There is a problem with the "enhanced" 2012 software. It does not run as fast as it should. This lends creedence to the statement that they made that they were unable to get the payroll forms into the new format. There is a problem with the new format they are running ATX on. It does not work and a lot of us are getting nervous about it.

Do you know that I have to go into every one of my 2011 returns and open it, save it, and then close it again before I can open the return in 2012 software? I only have 200 +/- returns, so I can live with it. What if you have over 1000 returns? How can you live with that mistake? No fix offered yet by CCH.

CCH has some big doo-doo to work through with their customers this year. I don't know if they will keep the product if they can't make it work like it used to.

Tom

Hollister, CA

But to give up on them on JAN 5 is sort of extreme, don't you think? When a 157 page tax change was only written and passed 4 days ago? I just think you are over-reacting for such an early date, Tom. They have always come through, and I expect they will this time too. I understand how frustrating it is, but have a heart, it's the fault of the idiots in DC, not the software companies.

Your not listening KC. It is not lack of forms that anyone is griping about. It is the performance of the software. Way too many bugs in it. Yes, the tax forms will be late because of congress. I give ATX a pass on not having any forms. That said, I only have a 1040 in a return. it should open up. I should be able to roll it from last year without going into 2011 and opening, saving, and closing again. These are fundamental programming flaws.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 1

They just announced version 12.1 which claims to address (some of) the issues. I agree this has nothing to do with the fiscal cliff. I just hope these issues are all worked out before we start needing to prepare returns. We still have a couple of weeks before we start seeing clients.

Tom, I'm listening. I understand your frustration. I just think it's too early to panic. I feel sure they will get these problems fixed real soon. I think the best thing to do at this point is take your sweet wife out for a nice night on the town, and just forget about the software for the rest of the weekend. Monday, have a nice breakfast, and try again.

Tom, I'm listening. I understand your frustration. I just think it's too early to panic. I feel sure they will get these problems fixed real soon. I think the best thing to do at this point is take your sweet wife out for a nice night on the town, and just forget about the software for the rest of the weekend. Monday, have a nice breakfast, and try again.

KC,

I rarely if ever would disagree with you, but we have been getting e-mails galore telling us to install and begin using the program to check out all the enhancements, but the problem is a good majority of are not able to do that. I've been with ATX for many years and have seen some great products and some bad ones. I hate to say it, but I think we are on a long and bumpy ride. This new program causes alot of crashes and for the most part they are telling us to change our controls in Windows, but the controls they are talking about is what makes Windows less prone to attack, they are safety settings. We should not have to disable these settings so that we can use a program that should require the greatest security settings.

I do believe they will get things fixed, but it doesn't make me less anxious.

Just my two cents worth!

Deb!

Anybody try with a fresh install of Windows XP?? If a new software crashes and they tell you to disable windows firewall or any other safety related component then the software is buggy. I seem to recall at the Microsoft webside under knowledge base there is a program that you can run before using the buggy program and it will log exactly where the problem happened in the execution of the program and it prepares a very technical report that is sent to Microsoft and the developer. I have Medlin accounting and 2 yrs back with one update it gave me that report and then there was another update and it never happened again.

Perhaps ATX should look into that program. It is free.

They just announced version 12.1 which claims to address (some of) the issues. I agree this has nothing to do with the fiscal cliff. I just hope these issues are all worked out before we start needing to prepare returns. We still have a couple of weeks before we start seeing clients.

I loaded 12.1 the day it came out and the problems still happening after 12.1. Really looking forward to 12.2 to see if it resolves some issues.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner KC, but I went to San Jose to take my family out to Lunner (lunch + Dinner = Lunner). We were also looking at the San Jose State University campus for my oldest son who may end up there if some of his other colleges don't pan out. So I was forgeting about it while you were typing. Great minds think alike.

The software is behind from a programing point. Do you remember the Great ATX E-File Disaster year when it was so bad they offered us airline tickets? That is what this year is shaping up to look like. But not because of e-file, because of programing bugs.

Do you know that Jan 6th is only 10 days from our opening day of our tax season? Yes, I have some of those clients that come in the day they get their W2 and are holding for e-file to open. And when they leave the office, they expect to know what they are getting back and the day it is coming. So this year, I can't tell them what their refund is (ATX issues), when I can e-file it (congressional delays) or when they can expect the refund (IRS removal of the refund cycle chart). Looks like it is going to be fun until March.

Tom

Hollister, CA

In my client organizers that I sent out I prominantly displayed (you can't miss it unless you are blind or chose not to open my e-mail) the fact that this year I am NOT giving them the expected date of their tax refund deposit to their account. I have linked them to the IRS.Gov and they can do it themselves. My staff has been told when the phone starts ringing where is the refund, to politely give them the IRS toll free # if they don't want to use the website.

Let's see how it goes this season. I was never a fan of IRS promoting 10 day refund turnaround in previous years because it sets up false expectation. How can you even do any rudimentary fraud checking if you are forced to issue a refund within that short timeframe! On that note the much hyped MeF really has no practical benefit of giving an ack within minutes because most likely the refunds will take 21 days. I can pick up the acks the next day and deal with any rejections (very few in my case and almoast all due to name change not registered with social security so there is a name mismatch).

IRS made all these software vendors walk over fire to get their software 100% MeF ready and most of them have bugs now so close to start of season!!!

The software is behind from a programing point. Do you remember the Great ATX E-File Disaster year when it was so bad they offered us airline tickets? That is what this year is shaping up to look like. But not because of e-file, because of programing bugs.

Tom

Hollister, CA

BUT, isn't this just one of the reasons why we should not be in a panic yet? We have had some terrible years in the past and came through them just fine. I do think that ATX did some overkill in the changes to the program, but they couldn't forsee the legislative glitches any more than we could. Unfortunately, an ugly bug knocked me out of commission for all of last week, so I got a nice long rest and didn't worrry about taxes because I couldn't. Also, I am not experiencing all of the odd problems that others are claiming. The program is slow to open, I am confident they will fix that. My installs have been clean on both XP and 7 and updates are smooth. I urge everyone to remember to shut down and restart after any and all installs or updates. Good luck to all of you and have a wonderful New Tax Year if it ever gets here. :huh:

Did you like DOS? We started a new thread for oldtimers, check it out. I still have an old computer in my basement with Win 95 and some real cool games that my kids enjoyed when they were young. Now these boys are running Apple Ipad!

I have a few sales and use tax forms to prepare that I MUST use the 2012 software for as the current form is not in the 2011 software, so I have no choice but to use it early for a few clients. Took me 2 minutes and 12 seconds to open the return....everything was great filling out the sales tax return, but it would not print from the print menu. I then tried printing the "page" and it took a grand total of 3 minutes 27 seconds to print 2 pages out in that mode.

I don't even see tax clients until the 1st of February, so not panicking about this but I am not happy with the myriad of bugs at this point at all. I told them I would not be using this product this year after being a client for 13 years and they called me and practically begged me to give it another try, but what I have seen and experienced with them so far this year tells me that I should have gone with my gut and used a different software this year, and I will definitely not be coming back to them next year.

On a good note, we tried rolling over all of our returns last night and it took less than 30 minutes to roll almost 700 tax returns, which is great! However, it takes almost that long to just open one of those rolled over returns.