ATX Community

having trouble rolling over returns

schirallicpa

Unfortunately, right now that is the answer from ATX. Go into 2011, open, save, close, and then go to 2012 and open.

I think it has something to do with the way a return is locked when completed. I don't think the forms update after you have completed and e-filed a return. So when they created the 2012 software, they took the latest update from 2011. But the returns you did in Feb and March may not have the "final" version of the form in them, so you need to open, update, and save again so the 2012 software can read the return.

Just my wild guessing. But I know right now there is no fix for the error you are getting. There is supposed to be a new update coming on the 10th or 11th that will address the performance issues. Hopefully it will actually fix some of these major issues.

Tom

Hollister, CA

I have never had this problem to the extent that you are talking about, but I have occasionally had a return that acted this way. Because it was occasional, I always just opened the return and closed it in the prior year, and then attempted the rollover again. This is not unique to this year's program, so I don't know how easy it will be for ATX to fix it.

Over the years and after many software conversions, I have figured out not to do bulk conversions (select all your clients at once to do a conversion). If you do one client at a time you have better control and if the software produces an error log you can track where the problem occured. You can do a few just for testing purpose but i try to convert one at a time as the calls come in for appointments. One year I did bulk conversion just to see what happens and found out that a few returns had "garbage" transferred. Except for the name i could not use any other data.

I think this is true with most tax software, you are always better off to open the prior years data and run it one and then close it and then convert. I don't know why but the success rate for them seems to be much higher than not doing it that way.

• Like 1

That sounds easy enough. But... We have nearly 3,000 clients and 40% say to open in last year and save again. How should we handle that?

I think that ATX will eventually get the problem fixed, but it is a bit frustrating in the meantime.

For now, just do them as they come in or you are starting to actively work on the return. We can't file anything yet anyway. I have never rolled over a return until the day the client comes in, and as Gail said, there is the occasional blip. Try to roll with the flow.

That sounds easy enough. But... We have nearly 3,000 clients and 40% say to open in last year and save again. How should we handle that?

I think that ATX will eventually get the problem fixed, but it is a bit frustrating in the meantime.

For now, just do them as they come in or you are starting to actively work on the return. We can't file anything yet anyway. I have never rolled over a return until the day the client comes in, and as Gail said, there is the occasional blip. Try to roll with the flow.

Let me see... Additional time to reopen and save each return - about 5 minutes. (I actually think that is too small) 5 minutes times 1,200 returns to reopen and save equals 6,000 additional minutes or 100 additional hours of processing time for this tax season.

Even at 3 minutes additional per return, it is 60 hours.

Tell me how to roll with the flow and eat an additional 60 - 100 hours of unbillable time??

Let me see... Additional time to reopen and save each return - about 5 minutes. (I actually think that is too small) 5 minutes times 1,200 returns to reopen and save equals 6,000 additional minutes or 100 additional hours of processing time for this tax season.

Even at 3 minutes additional per return, it is 60 hours.

Tell me how to roll with the flow and eat an additional 60 - 100 hours of unbillable time??

Don't be so negative so early in the season. I am sure ATX will fix these issues by the time Jan 22. They can't afford to go out of business if they have such a widespread problem. Have you rebuild your client database and cleaner up the junk that is on all hardrives!

Don't be so negative so early in the season. I am sure ATX will fix these issues by the time Jan 22. They can't afford to go out of business if they have such a widespread problem. Have you rebuild your client database and cleaner up the junk that is on all hardrives!

I have been using ATX since tax year 2003. There are very few issues in the last three years that I was not able to handle on my own because I chose to learn the inner workings of the software.

Our Server is one year old. All workstations are less than 3 years old.

"...rebuild your database and cleaner up the junk...?" With nearly 3,000 clients, the software would not be running if the files and structure were not pristine.

Till 2012, the program used an Acess 97 database structure. We have been promised for 4 years now that CCH was going to change it to speed up the program.

This year they finally did change it, and so far the indications are bleak.

Maybe I am too skeptical, but the project for this "upgrade" has been 4 years in the making. That is plenty of time to have worked out all these "bugs."

• Like 1

My PC is 4 few years old....only 2 GB RAM.....but still...I have never had a program (including ATX in prior years) use as much RAM for an extended period as the 2012 version. MAX 2012 is grinding my PC to an almost total halt...using 98% of my avail RAM for a VERY long period of time. I will go home and update this evening....hoping whatever updates are available will help the situation.