ATX Community

The Problems

Chowdahead

So far, here are the issues I have found with ATX this year, even with the latest update. Mind you, this is while only having worked on the more normal and basic returns since many of my clients who own rental property must wait until the end of February. I'm sure there are more, but these I actually had time to jot down while using the program. this is the first time I have had to do this with ATX. I've always had minor problems, but 95% of the time I was able to solve it through this site or the KB. My systems have 4GB RAM each. Apparently I am going to have to install more, although users with more RAM have reported similar issues.

• Unstability. The program crashes about 10-15 times per 12 hour work day. Crashes usually consist of a Windows 7 dialog box saying the program is unresponsive and must be closed. This usually happens either when rolling over, adding a form, or changing the print copies from Filing Copy to Client Copy.
  • Slow!!!. It takes longer to do everything, especially Rollovers, adding a form to a return, and even creating E-Files. This gets exponentially worse the longer the program is used. See next bullet.
  • Memory consumption. When first opened, the program consumes a reasonable 120 MB of system memory. As more returns are worked on, this rises to as high as 1.2GB of system memory used, even if only one return is open at a time. By comparison, ATX 2011 uses only 64MB of system memory. As more memory is consumed, the program becomes unbearingly slow and requires a sustem reboot to clear the memory.
  • Dialog boxes frequently appear behind the main window so I don't see them. When a return is opening, the entire program will sometimes disappear from the screen for 5-10 seconds and then reappear when the return opens.
  • Checkboxes like Filing Status sometimes appear to be unchecked. Shen you click them the check will momentarily appear and then disappear because you actually unchecked it and the return will recalculate.
  • On the dependent worksheet, removing a dependent from a rolled over return still leaves behind the Relationship, even if you change it to <blank>, the previous relationship entry will re-appear. You cannot delete this field. It doesn't appear to affect the return but it's still sloppy in my opinion.
  • When attempting to rollover over returns, a message regarding "insufficient resources" will appear 2-4 times per day at minimum, forcing a restart of the program.
  • Printing is wildy unstable and unpredicatable. Despite unchecking many different forms in the Print settings, I still get a lansdscape Client Mailing Sheet in some returns, along with the desired portrat Client Mailing Sheet. Switching from Filing Copy to Client Copy to Preparer Copy often causes the program to become unresponsive. All Copies contain State Attachments for some reason which is basically another copy of the Federal return. There is no way to turn this off in the Print Manager (from what I have found) and this has to be unselected during every print job unless you want to consume an extra 3 boxes of paper this tax season. Why does the Client Copy need the Federal Attachments for State???? At times printing will simply break and say "Printing Failed". Only fix is a system reboot.
  • The Print Manager will sometimes inexplicably revert the Default Printer to Adobe PDF for some reason when opening a return started before the default Printer was established within the program. The default printer will then need to be selected for each Copy all over again. Opening a Return that was started on the workstation will sometimes default to the Workstation printer instead of the server printer, requiring you to retrieve the printout from that printer instead. Howver, clicking "Print page" in that same return will still print to the server printer.
  • The Client Letter manager has become so unbearimgly complicated I am not sure it's even worth using. It's not intuitive and requires tons of extra clicks and extra work. When using Fee Collect, the refund amount is not automatically recalculated to reflect the deducted preparer fees, despite saying that it does reflect it. There is also an option to "Show Cents" in the refund amount, but cents never show up in the letter. This must be manually calculated each time in the Letter Options. State Client Letters will always say the state refund will be mailed regardless if Direct Deposit is selected on the State E-File Info tab, unless you manually go in and change the Letter Options each and every time. What happened to last year when all I clicked was "Forms>Client Letter and both Fed and State letters would appear with no extra clicking.
  • An error is sometimes generated stating that the client cannot use Fee Collect because he/she is not 18-years-old, despite the fact that the client is 31-years-old and the date-pf-birth on the File Info tab on the 1040 form is clearly a 1982 birth year. Replacing the form with 1040A has no effect. I have not found a solution to this bug other then re-doing the entire return from scratch.
  • Only the default Admin username can create e-files. In the Security settings it appears that you can designate a user as an "Administrator" but when you attempt this it tells you there can only be the default Admin username as an "Administrator". So I have no idea why "Administrator" is an option on the list along with "Office Manager" and "Tax Preparer" if it cannot be assigned. You will need to login as the actual Admin username in order to create e-files.
  • Checking the "Remember Me" box on the login screen has no effect as it remembers nothing next time.
  • On the workstation, the program will frequently hang at the ATX 2012 splash screem and proceed no further. The only remedy found is to Ctrl+Alt+Del and kill the program, run netsetup, uninstall, run Netsetup, re-install. This must be done several times per day.
  • On workstation, "Forms Mismatch Error" will frequently block opening of returns and require opening it in ATX 2011 first, and then opening it in ATX 2012. Occasionally even this will not work on workstation and must be done on the Server.
  • Important forms like Last Year Comparison are unavailable.
  • State E-file Info form is still unvailable, preventing e-filing of State Returns with the Federal Return.

There are probably more but I am too tired to think right now. Feel free to post what you have found.

• Like 2

Chowdahead, are you using XP or Win 7? Adding more than 4G memory won't help in XP. I am using windows 7 and I have no issues, except that the relationship cannot be deleted or changed to blank after you remove the dependent. Rollover manager rolls over a return very fast... too fast that at the beginning I thought it was not working.

Chowdahead, are you using XP or Win 7? Adding more than 4G memory won't help in XP. I am using windows 7 and I have no issues, except that the relationship cannot be deleted or changed to blank after you remove the dependent. Rollover manager rolls over a return very fast... too fast that at the beginning I thought it was not working.

I have Windows 7 on both machines.

I have my preferences setup to include separate federal and state client letters and estimate letters to all returns rolled over. The manual, yes I checked it to be sure, said that within a return a dynamic letter can be deleted if it is not needed. For the very simple return I tried last night this client did not need estimates so I deleted the federal and state estimate letters. Every time I reopen the return, the program is adding those letters back into the return.

The main problem I am having is the intermittent "network update: An application update has been applied to the network. A restart of your application is required to apply thisupdate to your workstation. If you have any unsaved changes you will be prompted to save prior to the application restart. Then a button to click 'ok'."

Note that I am not working in a networked environment. My computer is stand-alone. I have downloaded the 12.5 update, from the support website, no less than 3 times. This error will occur when first opening the program, and after 3 restarts it will seem to stay open. Then after rolling over a 1040 this network update issue happened again, no less than 3 times. Somehow my federal client letter has disappeared leaving me with federal estimated tax letter, which is worthless as this client does not require estimated tax payments. When I open the template the body of the combined federal/state letter is there, with the federal showing that it will be e-filed and the state a paper mailed return, though both will be e-filed.

I have reported this issue to support. And I have also reported an issue with e-filing 2011 state tax returns - they return rejected with EFC49 - not supported. My state e-file coordinator says they are set up for e-filing prior years; NO ANSWER FROM SUPPORT ON EITHER ISSUE.

And NO, I have NOT read the 470 page manual. I am scheduled to watch the webinar tomorrow, though, and will follow through with that. I am hopeful, expectant, that the 2/4 update will clear these issues.

Lynn & raven, I am having the same. Another user & I were a couple of the first to post this on the official board. The other user somehow got the attention of one of the techs. She posted a patch and KB that was quickly taken back down. She posted another KB that was also removed, probably being too risky. The revised execute file is what was given, had to be manually inserted into the proper directory after renaming the old file. It is only a temporary fix so that we could cancel the popup box without shutting off the program. After that, I get all kinds of popup warning boxes that are still appearing. The last I read is that they are still working on it, haven't identified all the causes, and *might* have a solution by sometime next week. Nothing is firmly promised as to when this will really be fixed.

ETA: ATXMichelle posted that they are shooting for the next update to be released on Tues 2/5 that should fix the problem. This is just awful.

I'm not suggesting anyone read the 470 pages all at once. But looking for an answer there, or at least reading about the stuff that's changed is a good first place to look. A click on a topic in the table of contents takes you right there.

Or even using the 'help' button. I'm really used to doing this with Microsoft Word, and doing a search in the index.

I am running Win XP and probably with less RAM than most. I have very few problems. So far the only one is not being able to add Sch EIC to the return. My printing is fast, rollovers take about 10 seconds. I print my copy to docuprinter. I shred unwanted pages that are printed.

This is not to say that I am happy with this program, because I certainly am not. It is not user friendly....even though my printing is fast, I hate not know what is going to print out.

I have been watching my wife (Jean Stull, CPA) run her business for the past 16 years, and this year I joined her practice as a payroll clerk, and I am at a loss as to what to do about these software issues. In years past, I would install and troubleshoot her software long before she had to use it, but this year we are sitting on 50 returns, and without software, we are losing new clients to chain preparers. I am ready to jump ship and install something that is working RIGHT NOW, we are a small business, every day and every penny counts! ATX has been an issue since we installed it this year, and we are getting minimal to NO support from the company! We have used ATX for the past 10 years or so, and this year is the worst it has been! She does about 900 or so returns a season, what software is gonna work well for us STARTING TOMORROW? Please help me!

I am not so much determined to switch, but I AM determined to get some work done, and as I type this, ATX has frozen again on the server! I am on the laptop on a different network using remote access in an attempt to get some returns going! My tech guy was at the office until 2AM this morning uninstalling and reinstalling ATX on the server and workstations (as per ATX techline reccomendation) to no avail, I have a very unhappy wife and as you men know "unhappy wife=unhappy life!" I have to have something in place before the weekend appointments show up, when you have to restart your computer 3 times to complete 1 simple return, it does not inspire customer confidence!

I am not so much determined to switch, but I AM determined to get some work done, and as I type this, ATX has frozen again on the server! I am on the laptop on a different network using remote access in an attempt to get some returns going! My tech guy was at the office until 2AM this morning uninstalling and reinstalling ATX on the server and workstations (as per ATX techline reccomendation) to no avail, I have a very unhappy wife and as you men know "unhappy wife=unhappy life!" I have to have something in place before the weekend appointments show up, when you have to restart your computer 3 times to complete 1 simple return, it does not inspire customer confidence!

Try working directly on the server. The software is entirely different this year. Forget everything you think you knew about the software. None of it applies now.

we have tried working directly, the only reason i am remote right now is because we are 50 returns in the hole! it doesn't work on the server, or on any of the work stations consistently, there are constant random crashes on each workstation, and on the server! the printer spits out nonsense we don't request, the check boxes are ghosts, i am sick of seeing " cchfs has stopped working the program will close"! I have read the manuals, knowledge centers, and searched the internet for solutions, myself and my tech guy have spent a combined 10 hours on hold trying to get tech support. i have downloaded each and every update, praying that it would be the one that made the program stable, i am DONE! My ear hurts from being on hold and my eyes are probably bleeding from reading every possible solution on the knowledge base! sorry for the rant, I apologize if i'm coming off as harsh, but I am out of patience and options right now! There's a liberty that moved in 2 doors down, and HR block 1 street up, i can't afford to let customers walk because the software is not working!

Try working directly on the server. The software is entirely different this year. Forget everything you think you knew about the software. None of it applies now.

and i have already forgot everything i thought i knew about ATX, i thought i knew that it was a stable, easy to use, reliable and ready on time tax prep program, i forgot that 3 weeks ago when this all began to drop into the black hole of software problems! :wall:

i am sick of seeing " cchfs has stopped working the program will close"!

This is my life right now! This message is seared into my brain at this point. My dad helps me out on a workstation and yesterday I had never seen him so frustrated... and he has been helping me for 9 years using ATX. He's yelling at me "Check the forums!", "Call this company and find out what they are going to do!". I told him it's a 2 hour wait for Customer Support.. if you can even get into the queue. :unsure:

The workstation he uses constantly just hangs while opening returns. Yesterday he sat in front of the computer for 20 minutes waiting for a return to open. The screen simply said "Loading Return", with the nice and fancy animation. In all that time he had to make small talk.

I work on the server and the program generally crashes about 5 times per hour. Usually when either printing or deleting a form from the return. This happened to me at about 1230am last night. Tired. Exhausted. Trying to catch up and go home and when I right-clicked a form tab to delete it.... the screen greyed out suddenly and the dreaded box came up "cchfs has stopped working the program will close". I literally screamed and pounded my fists on the desk. :wall:

When I need to open ATX 2011, it's like I died and went to heaven -- that's how smooth that program ran!!!

• Like 1

Chowdahead, I finally had enough, after 14 years with ATX and its predecessors, we purchased another companies program today, we just can't wait any longer for a permanent fix to be created! I truly feel that I have been taken advantage of this year, being forced to be a "beta" tester without my knowledge! I cannot give clients the impression of top notch professionalism when I am clearly frustrated with the software, and I'm sure that the constant crashes and freezes make clients question our competence, and that is just unacceptable! This business is built on trust, I cannot expect my clients to trust me if I don't fully trust the software I'm using to prepare their return! Sorry if this gets some people in an uproar, but these ATX problems should have been dealt with long before its release to customers!

I downloaded the demo from Drake the other night. I'm still on the fence and am waiting to see if the next update will fix my problems, but then I wonder if I'll have the problems that many others here are having. I suppose I'm not experiencing them because I'm not using the program much yet.

Drake would take some getting used to. I went through the program and actually re-prepared my own personal and corporate returns for 2011. I was able to recreate the returns exactly, but not entirely without some issues. Some things look so basic, especially in the depreciation area, lack of worksheets, that I can't believe there aren't many mistakes being made. I think ATX catches a lot of mistakes that the less knowledgeable preparers would be running into with Drake.

One specific problem I had was with the limitation on HSA contributions. Husband and I each have our own separate HD medical policies, no family coverage, only for 10 months last year. He's over 55 and I am not. It looks like I entered everything properly and Drake is not calculating any limitation on the amount of contribution allowed. It is showing the full amount that would be allowed for the full 12 months. In order for the correct limitation to print on the form, I had to enter it in a box on the input. I can't believe that if there are all the questions related to this limitation and boxes to enter the # of months, that Drake's software wouldn't calc this limitation.

• Like 1