ATX Community

Did ATX programers deliberately sabotage ATX?

Mainetaxguy

Jack, I am running a domain server with workstations. We use SBS 2011 on the server, and all the workstations have Windows 7. I can't say we aren't having any problems, but so far they are relatively minor compared to most postings I see. Occasional crash, can't import K-1 data, still getting used to fixed asset format this year, and slow as molasses to load program, newly rolled over returns and print packets. But we are chugging along. I thought perhaps the fact that we just replaced our server this summer was what was saving us.

• Like 1

What does "domain server" mean?

IT is a higher end set up needed when you have multiple folks, running higher end applications. Generally running a dedicated server, with Windows Server 20XX.

And ATX does not work in that environment, and using what they have now, never will. It is nearing March 1, and it STILL does not work on what is a fairly routine set up.

Small shops with peer to peer networks are managing to limp by, they will b next because after thousands of ATX customers have jumped ship, there will be even LESS revenue to under pay to few programmers

The era of ATX is over. The only folks who do not know this are simply the next victims.

I want to hear from someone running a domain server and workstations that is NOT having any problems. I believe that person does not exist. 5 more hours on hold, 2 hours with the tech, and not a bit better. I did learn how to clean up the scat that the program produces when the program crashes with a return open. It corrupts information in the back-up file. Nice, huh....

Told the technician that I could assure him I will not need to call him next year.

Jack - I am running a domain server - running Server 2003 with XP on the workstations with the workstations running with 2GB of RAM. ATX, FAM, Paperless Plus, Client Writeup and various other programs are running fine. I would be lying if I said I have had no issues, but nothing that I have not been able to handle. The returns take a while to build from the rollover - I am OK with that, I find other things to do during that time. I print to pdf to Paperless Plus without issue if I tend to my workstation and then print the hard copy from Paperless Plus. The program does not break any records for the time it takes to open, but the time it takes is not punitive. The only issue I seem to be having is with the RAM and on about the third return with fixed assets the print will start but fail. Taking your advice, I am rebooting my workstation four or five times per day depending on how large the returns are. The other thing I have noticed is that if I try to out run the program, e.g., work ahead of where the program is, the program will get conflicted and crash. So I don't do that. I let the program set the speed. For what it is worth, my system is all hard wired with no wi-fi capability.

"The era of ATX is over. The only folks who do not know this are simply the next victims."

I think this is what happened: The program came with some flaws as it does every year. To make things worse, Congress forced the IRS to start late. All of us had to deal with that. Then, everybody start calling ATX and calling... the ATX resources scarced and everybody panicked and the programmers were under a lot of pressure to fix it and fix it now. They fixed the issue but there was a side effect. This was and endless loop for them. Some people left and that helped to deal with the overload. If we had a "normal" tax season (which we haven't seen it for a while), I could have had prepared about 10 returns on the first week of January and report my ATX issues calmly. Then I would have had prepared 20 returns on the second week of January and report my ATX issues calmy. On the third week of January, I would have had prepared 40 returns and still report my issues calmly. On the fourth week of January, I would have prepared 60 returns and report my linguering issues calmly. But thank to "whoever", the first week of February, I had to deal with about 200 returns and I was not able to report my issues calmy and the programmers had to help me within a week instead of a month.

I think ATX will fix so many issues this year, that future releases will be robust for the box. People that left, will come back again in 2 years because ATX is not that expensive, is designed for preparers, and (thank to Eric and others that donate money and time) we have this forum.

• Like 2

While I now believe there was no conspiracy on part of the programmers to screw things up, I don't think ATX will completely recover from this. While Congress is partly to blame for the IRS late start, there clearly are some major fundamental problems with CCH that go beyond the normal ATX software problems that occur every year. After all, when was the last time an ATX president had to apologize about so many errors and then later was forced to resign? No, this is a serious problem. This reminds me of what happened a few years ago when CCH introduced IntelliConnect. I know for a fact that some CCH programmers wanted to wait another year before releasing the program, but Wolters Kluwer forced their hand. The result? Massive cancellations of CCH research subscriptions. I heard CCH lost more than $12 million in orders, and to this day, has not fully recovered from the IntelliConnect debacle. Most CCH research customers went to RIA, and later, others went to Parker Tax Publishing. CCH has so little interest in renewing small research customers who spend $5,000 or less on research, that they have assigned the retention/renewal task to a Florida customer call center rather than the more professional group in Chicago (CCH HQs). No, this is different. The blood is in the water, and Drake and others are circling in for the kill.

Jack, I am running a domain server with workstations. We use SBS 2011 on the server, and all the workstations have Windows 7. I can't say we aren't having any problems, but so far they are relatively minor compared to most postings I see. Occasional crash, can't import K-1 data, still getting used to fixed asset format this year, and slow as molasses to load program, newly rolled over returns and print packets. But we are chugging along. I thought perhaps the fact that we just replaced our server this summer was what was saving us.

Same here. We have SBS 2003 and mostly XP / with a couple Windows 7.

I uninstall and re - netsetup workstations that are getting pokey. Otherwise just the occasional crash - and none on the server. I install program updates from server and try to do most of the forms from there too. (I login as myself and run on server). In the course of the day, I will update from workstations. I learned there sometimes are forms to update even if the button is green.

No, it is not as fast as 2011. Nor does it give you the right pages when printing. But for now, happy we didn't switch (with 10 years of ATX archive files / databases). And not really any time to retrain users.

You folks running Windows Server 2003 should pray that your server survives to the end of the tax season. Microsoft has stopped servicing Server 2003 as well as XP. You do realize that both OS are 10 years old now? We had server hardware (8 year old machine) die October 2011. The move to Server 2008 was the only option until I found Server 2011 Small Business Essentials.

Never again will I allow core equipment to become more than 3 years old. Many of the programs that were compatible with Server 2003 (not talking ATX here) were not compatible with the Server 2011 software. Database program, schedule program etc...

Living dangerously with old equipment and OS and ATX2012, before all is said and done, will probably not be so nice to the old OS.

Pssahh! If it ain't broke - don't fix it. I had my very highly qualified IT guy "once over" my entire system and he saw no need for alarm. And just to make him accountable, he monitors it remotely 24/7. All of us walk on the edge - that is just a fact of life. I am glad you found what works for you. By the way, the vehicle I drive is 10 years old also. And the house I live in is 115 years old.

Pssahh! If it ain't broke - don't fix it. I had my very highly qualified IT guy "once over" my entire system and he saw no need for alarm. And just to make him accountable, he monitors it remotely 24/7. All of us walk on the edge - that is just a fact of life. I am glad you found what works for you. By the way, the vehicle I drive is 10 years old also. And the house I live in is 115 years old.

The HUGE difference is... You can still get service and repairs on your car and home. Not a good analogy.

Perfect analogy. My tech guy can service my server and the operating system in the same manner as my mechanic can service my vehicle. It is just a matter of finding the right tech guy. Not every mechanic or home maintenance person is good in the same manner that every tech guy isn't good.

If your server lives forever, you are correct. "It is just a matter of finding the right tech guy." will not make old software compatible with new equipment. When you have to purchase a new server, you remember my warnings. At that point, ask your "...right tech guy..." why he can't make the old software compatible with the new hardware.

Here's hoping your hardware lasts forever.

Are we forgetting that the software is not just broken? Tthey have removed virtually all of the enhancements that have put in the software over the years and called it an Enhancement. No more spreadsheets, no more inline formula, no more unprotecting of forms, no more customization, unwieldy print packet system (That doesn't recognize all system printers in the File Copy btw) and that obnoxious Client Communications Manager, just to name a few.

As for network installs vs stand alone installations having trouble, I help support a few of my colleagues on ATX. Friends of mine that tend to switch software when I do. Two of them are on networks and having tons of trouble, especially on the workstations, the others on single installs.

My colleagues that are on a single station install, all find that the software is much slower this year, and don't forget one of ATX's consistent problems in past years was slow speed. Other than that, one has no other problems and 2 are having major problems, including losing fixed asset detail, although less than network installs.

So it is not just that they BROKE the software, They told is a BOLD FACED LIE!

Wonder how we can trust anything from them anymore?

I kept this press release that was issued by ATX/CCH in August 28th of last year. The press release announces the ATX2012 version of the program we are using now. In the press release, Jeff Gramlich is quoted as saying : "The enhancements we've added to ATX 2012 make tax preparation as simple and stress-free as possible, and that's a testament to a lot of hard work by a lot of dedicated people who took the time to listen to what tax professionals said they needed and then turned those comments into the software enhancements in ATX 2012."

Stress free? Does anyone disagree?

• Like 1