ATX Community

ATX Community slowness or errors?

Eric

Has anyone been having trouble with the website recently? Any errors or unusually slow response / page loading?

I haven't seen anything, and the site feels like its usual snappy self to me, but I've had a couple reports of problems and would like to narrow it down to see if it's on my server's end.

EDIT: I deleted the other thread to reduce confusion.

Eric, I am still having my problems with posting. After our last PM's, I had my IT guy look at my IE9. He tweaked a few things but I am still getting the posting error. Always on the first post.

Any interest upgrading to IE10 or just trying to install Firefox or Chrome, at least temporarily? Sometimes figuring out these things is a matter of eliminating possibilities.

Any interest upgrading to IE10 or just trying to install Firefox or Chrome, at least temporarily? Sometimes figuring out these things is a matter of eliminating possibilities.

He installed Chrome on the ocmputer but I have not had an opportunity to look at it. May just change but that is a hard thing to do in my neck of the woods -- changing from MS.

He installed Chrome on the ocmputer but I have not had an opportunity to look at it. May just change but that is a hard thing to do in my neck of the woods -- changing from MS.

As far as the user interface goes, IE 9 and 10 have a lot in common with Chrome. I'm not going to urge you to switch, but it would be good to see if it's something browser related or not, although I'm almost certain it is. That's not to say that it's IE9 related, however, because lots of others are using IE9 without issue. There are lots of variables... addons, toolbars, settings, that could come into play.

Eventually IE10 will be pushed as an important update, and that very well could clear up the issue. Sometimes computers do funny things that seem random, and I just can't explain it.

My posts do not go through about 50% of the time. It took two attempts for this one.

Any error associated with a failed post? What happens exactly?

IE 9 and then in hopes it would clear up a couple of different problems, I updated to IE 10 with no noticeable change.

I'm really reaching here, but it could be something like old video drivers. This forum software has a lot of fancy javacript-heavy features for actively loading content without page refreshes that could explain why a few people experience odd hiccups while most do not.

There are a lot of variables, and diagnosing this stuff is much easier with physical access to the computer.

Most of the issues in this thread sound unrelated, just quirky behavior specific to one person's system, except for a few that do sound like they are server-side. I'll start combing the server logs to see what I can find. There are some updates available for the forum software, but they should probably wait until after tax season.

Computer only a couple years old with biggest, fastest everything, a gamer's computer at the advice of my techie who said I needed a good video card, etc, to rewrite the screens quickly to see gov forms on one monitor while doing data entry on another. Going to have him over here when I can spare a few minutes off the computer as I have a couple of annoying problems, like more pop-ups than usual when I think I have all the settings to block pop-ups. I appreciate how you look out for us, Eric. Thank you.

Computer only a couple years old with biggest, fastest everything, a gamer's computer at the advice of my techie who said I needed a good video card, etc, to rewrite the screens quickly to see gov forms on one monitor while doing data entry on another. Going to have him over here when I can spare a few minutes off the computer as I have a couple of annoying problems, like more pop-ups than usual when I think I have all the settings to block pop-ups. I appreciate how you look out for us, Eric. Thank you.

I'll make the same suggestion I've made to others, try Chrome or Firefox to see if the same problem persists in those browsers. If it doesn't, then you know it's likely something to do with your Internet Explorer configuration, whether it's some setting, or installed/outdated addon/toolbar/etc. If the problem persists in other browses, then it's probably something software related, like drivers or a process running in the background.

Video card vendors release updated drivers quite frequently, and many times they reduce conflicts and odd video artifacts/glitches. It's also usually best to use the drivers directly from the manufacturer, and not the one that Microsoft installs after detecting the hardware.

I would be interested to hear what your technician comes up with.

Sometimes it just hangs and does nothing. Other times I get some sort of error screen. When it first happened I tried emailing it to you through your link on here but that failed to.

Next time I get the error message I will CnP it into this thread.

For this post, the first attempt it just hung and did nothing. This is my 2nd attempt. Actually now my 3rd attempt.

p.s. I am using IE 9 on my brand new desktop.

Windows 7 Home Premium

i5 64bit with 8gig

Sometimes it just hangs and does nothing. Other times I get some sort of error screen. When it first happened I tried emailing it to you through your link on here but that failed to.

Next time I get the error message I will CnP it into this thread.

For this post, the first attempt it just hung and did nothing. This is my 2nd attempt. Actually now my 3rd attempt.

p.s. I am using IE 9 on my brand new desktop.

Windows 7 Home Premium

i5 64bit with 8gig

Your issue sounds like it's on the server's end, but without an error message, I don't think anything is showing up in the server logs.

So far, everyone reporting issues is using IE, but I have no way to determine if it's just a coincidence because lots of people use it, or if there is an IE-specific bug in the forum software that I haven't found yet. So far, nobody has tried another web browser to report if their problem persists or not, so I don't have a lot to go on.

Your issue sounds like it's on the server's end, but without an error message, I don't think anything is showing up in the server logs.

So far, everyone reporting issues is using IE, but I have no way to determine if it's just a coincidence because lots of people use it, or if there is an IE-specific bug in the forum software that I haven't found yet. So far, nobody has tried another web browser to report if their problem persists or not, so I don't have a lot to go on.

No problems using either Firefox or Crome. I very rarely use IE, but tried it and the board would hang, but would finally cooperate.

The problem yesterday morning was something else, likely a short term issue at my server's data center. I believe everyone on the site at that same time saw things slow down.

The rest of these reported issues though, I'm still trying to pin down.