ATX Community

What do you prefer, a student who asks a bunch of questions or?

Pacun

What do you prefer, a student who asks a bunch of questions or one that pull out his i-phone and only looks at you when you request the signature?

I joke with the guys that pull out his phone and start texting, playing or surfing when I do their taxes and I say... "next year, I will attach a game station to my computer so young people can entertain themselves and not ask questions". I have also thought about a little TV with the Jerry Springer show for mid age people and I have to come up with what will attract old people.

We have dual monitors. One for them to follow along the progress of the tax return. Since ATX shows balance due and refund constantly recalculating with each entry, it draws the client in. Also I tell them they are the first line of defense for typos and spelling errors.

When the entry work gets too tedious or the appointment drags because of too much info to enter, I may put summaries and estimates in place to at least give the client some sense of where the return is headed.

We ask a lot of questions, and try to keep the visit focused and upbeat.

Having said that, if a client wants to sit there like furniture, that's ok too. Same as a drop off.

I do everything I can to keep my clients out of my office, especially when I'm working on their tax return. So for the most part that isn't a problem. However, I tolerate most any type of cell phone behavior while they're there. If someone's phone rings, I encourage them to answer the call because I always have something in front of me to do. However, if I have a question to ask I don't mind interrupting their texting or their conversation if I need some info. To me, what's fair regarding the interruption issue works both ways. I've never had someone refuse to respond, but if they did I'd show them the clock (not the door) just as a reminder that they're buying some expensive time while they're discussing their child's last piano recital with grandma.

I've mentioned this before and will repeat it here - the way people communicate and interact is changing drastically. We can either adapt or go the way of the buggy whip.

• Like 3

I (very rarely) prepare a tax return in front of the client. For me that opens too many avenues for possible error or missed entries. I want complete solitude when I am working on a return.

As for interaction with my clients, I welcome their conversation and confidences. I want them to feel comfortable. Over the years, many have commented that "Nobody has asked me all these questions before!"

So, when they come for the interview, they get my total attention. I want them to think of me as a friend; which is how I think of MOST of them.

• Like 3

Different strokes, for different folks. BTW my neighbors are Amish. It's just my personal style and I hire people who enjoy the client interaction. You probably are more efficient, and perhaps make more money than we do. Oh well. I'll happily retire with the buggy whip people.

Guest Taxed

God bless SFA if she can get her work done with the client following every key stoke on their own monitor. 2 years back i got a Bday gift of a 23 inch HP monitor and I put it on my work desk. That year I must have had thousands of interruptions with the client asking questions everytime I entered something, because they could see it and if a balance due red indicator came on. god forbid!. Next year i went back to my old trusted 17 inch and gave my son the big monitor for his room.

I enjoy the usual small talk but once i am concentrating on doing a return I don't want constant interruptions. Too many mistakes happen that way. believe me i learned the hard way.

I am in a cellphone dead zone for most carriers except for Verizon so they actually have to walk into my driveway to get a signal most of the time.

Yes mistakes happen. Nothing leaves our office without someone in the back proofing and packaging the returns for pickup. We never proof our own work, and clients never leave the interview with a "finished" return. We have a team approach to preparing taxes. Always two separate eyes, and then every singe return that we produce, I personally walk through, sign and invoice the final product. That's the obsessive/compulsive side to my nature. The ADD side needs the comotion.

I don't prepare returns in front of client, but I do get bother when I am interviewing or explaining them their tax return and they have to pick up a call :). I feel like putting up a sign saying cell phone must be off, I have seen some restaurants refusing to take your order if you are on your cell phone.

• Like 1

I had a neighbor (not a kid, forgive the rabbit trail) drop off last Friday 15 minutes after closing time, I didn't care about that because I knew I would be there for five more hours, but he mentioned he was sorry about it.

This guy never has his property tax amount, I tell him to find out what it was and call me.

Guy: "Oh, I'll get call Angie at the bank and find out. (I don't know why it's not on his 1098, but it's not.) Is their number xxx-xxxx?"

Me: "I don't know." Thinking: (OMG, are you kidding me?)

Goes thru his phone till he finds the number. Calls bank, does not ask the one on the phone, must get the number from Angie. Talks to Angie for five minutes. Seems he used to date Angie, and they are still on good terms, perhaps because he is still carrying a #$%^ torch for her... She is doing great, going to nephew's birthday party tomorrow...

THEN, he talked to ME for 10 minutes about our neighbor across the road who died and he had no idea he was even sick. Yeah, he was 92, but who knew? His fee went up, and I will never ask him for his property tax again.

I don't prepare returns in front of client, but I do get bother when I am interviewing or explaining them their tax return and they have to pick up a call :). I feel like putting up a sign saying cell phone must be off, I have seen some restaurants refusing to take your order if you are on your cell phone.

If I visited a restaurant that refused to take my order because I'm on a cell phone, that would be my last visit to their establishment.

(Of course, I will add that I have sense enough to get off the phone while ordering...)

Different strokes, for different folks. BTW my neighbors are Amish. It's just my personal style and I hire people who enjoy the client interaction. You probably are more efficient, and perhaps make more money than we do. Oh well. I'll happily retire with the buggy whip people.

My apologies to the Amish, and to those of you who prepare returns for them.

My mind wasn't going there when I made the buggy whip reference - just want to make that clear.

Guess I walked (didn't drive) right into that one...

My apologies to the Amish, and to those of you who prepare returns for them.

My mind wasn't going there when I made the buggy whip reference - just want to make that clear.

Guess I walked (didn't drive) right into that one...

Oh John,

Your buggy whip comment is funny. I was laughing when I read it. I am the last person who cares about political correctness. This forum is fun and I am enjoying learning about how others are handling the pressures of this tax season and have picked up a few good pointers on some specific tax topics.

BTW, I am not Amish.

If I visited a restaurant that refused to take my order because I'm on a cell phone, that would be my last visit to their establishment.

(Of course, I will add that I have sense enough to get off the phone while ordering...)

These are not your sit-in type of restuarants, most are the one where you need to get in line to place your order, also the US post office has the same policy they will refuse service if you are on your cell phone.

BTW, I am not Amish.

How bout that Amish Mafia????? LOL, is that the least believable show on TV or what? (Esther. Grrrr. Don't get me started on that floozy.) Well, Finding Bigfoot is right up there, too.

Dude with a green light on his head: "Did you hear that???"

Other dude with a green light on his head: "Hear what???"

Years ago when I started at a Block store-front office, I had an older couple (retired professor and retired teacher) arrive in nice businesswear, hand me their materials separately, and proceed to read their library books for an hour or more while I prepared their returns. They would thank me graciously, pay their bill, and leave with their payment vouchers. One year I discovered from an IRS letter in their materials that they had not been paying the IRS and CT in a timely manner. They'd never told me nor asked my advice. But at least I finally found out so we could discuss withholding, ES, etc.

God bless SFA if she can get her work done with the client following every key stoke on their own monitor. 2 years back i got a Bday gift of a 23 inch HP monitor and I put it on my work desk. That year I must have had thousands of interruptions with the client asking questions everytime I entered something, because they could see it and if a balance due red indicator came on. god forbid!. Next year i went back to my old trusted 17 inch and gave my son the big monitor for his room.

SFA:

I have two 27" monitors on my desk, and a 22' that faces the client. I use the 22" when we are reviewing Qbooks or other Financial data. Or tax planning.. But I never do a return while the client is here. I get thier info, get it done, and get them back.

They lean over to see the screen? I turn them off.

Rich

These are not your sit-in type of restuarants, most are the one where you need to get in line to place your order, also the US post office has the same policy they will refuse service if you are on your cell phone.

Oh!

Soup Nazi Restaurants.

"Use that cell phone and NO SOUP FOR YOU! :)

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A0S00MhnvUdRIDsAQxv7w8QF;_ylu=X3oDMTBvb2o4YTJwBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDVjEzNg--?p=soup+nazi+episode+youtube&vid=e5ed68c47c22f8aaf637ef61fe4b9f56&l=2%3A57&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DV.4930902571549201%26pid%3D15.1&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYJyGJQx2Fgk&tit=Seinfeld-Soup+Nazi+%28Greatest+Parts%29&c=1&sigr=11acisb1u&age=0&&tt=b

• Like 1