ATX Community

Short changed (toner on new printer)

ILLMAS

My new brother printer came with a toner for 3000 prints, it's been only a month and I had to replace it this morning. I called Brother and found out that the toner can print up 3000 prints only if you print a couple of lines per page, as you know tax returns are full page, so I only get 2,300 pages out of it :(

Guest Taxed

My new brother printer came with a toner for 3000 prints, it's been only a month and I had to replace it this morning. I called Brother and found out that the toner can print up 3000 prints only if you print a couple of lines per page, as you know tax returns are full page, so I only get 2,300 pages out of it :(

My usual beef with printer and toner makers! Over the years I have learned that printer makers sell the printer at or below cost. They make their money on ink and toner cartridges. So instead of buying genuine Brother or HP cartridges buy generic ones from places like FillServ or inkJetcardridges for roughly 50% of the manufacturers price. You can't tell the difference in quality and they last about the same # of pages. I think I just saw an internet coupon, 10%% off and free shipping till 4/15. :P

I use Brother and i have set my printer to "Toner Save" mode The print is slightly lighter and it actually looks ok compared to very dark print.

We use Brother brand and I refill toners that cost $89 new, for only $12. We get 5,000 pages per refill. Each toner cart will refill 3 times before it wears out.

BTW, pages that the toner will print is figured with only 5% of the page covered. We get 5,000 out of a cart rated at 8,000. But with me refilling them (a 5-10 min operation) we save hundreds.

• Like 1

Guest Taxed

Jack from Ohio you are the man! How do you reset that stupid toner gear to make the printer think it is a new cartridge? My son refilled one cartridge but the printer still has a low toner message!

Lots of good prices on eBay on toner cartridges and drums. I buy them in large multiples.

Some of the Brothers toner cartridges have a mini clear round window that you can cover with black tape. This will get some extra life as well as use all the toner in the cartridge. I usually have no problem with a refill giving the message because it's full.

The drums are a different situation. On my 5240's with the door open, I hold the go button until all the lights are on and close the door. This does the reset for the drum. Might work on the toner...

Lots of good prices on eBay on toner cartridges and drums. I buy them in large multiples.

Some of the Brothers toner cartridges have a mini clear round window that you can cover with black tape. This will get some extra life as well as use all the toner in the cartridge. I usually have no problem with a refill giving the message because it's full.

The drums are a different situation. On my 5240's with the door open, I hold the go button until all the lights are on and close the door. This does the reset for the drum. Might work on the toner...

I am going to try the reset, my printer stopped printing because the toner was low, however I never notice any fading like my hp.

Update: It did work, I will use this sucker until I get the last dust of toner out of it.

I am using a HP2015 which has been cranking out forms for a few years now at 30 pages per minute. I buy my toner from Rapid Refill Ink. They are the only ones who have the high volume cartridge that gets approximately 10,000 pages and in the case of tax returns about 8,000. cost me $117.00. I have a beef with printer makers as well with the only limited copies from the toner cartridge supplied with the printer. I low toner light is on right now but like MAS I am going to get every last piece of dust out of that thing before I change it.

I am going to try the reset, my printer stopped printing because the toner was low, however I never notice any fading like my hp.

Update: It did work, I will use this sucker until I get the last dust of toner out of it.

I keep shaking the cartridge till the white streak gets unbearable. The light stays on but I get a lot more pages of use. I keep a sticky note on the printer to tell when I changed it last. Also, I like Cartridge Warehouse on Amazon. Have never gotten a bad cartridge from them. They are not refilled, but 100% new compatibles. The price is amazing and the shipping us usually free.

My toner is running low right now. Crap cartridge from Office Depot. I know I didn't get near as many copes ad the HP brand and it only cost $20 less. I hope some of the vendors you mention have fast shipping. I'm still getting in new clients. That don't mind extensions. I think I'm gonna be busy for a while this summer.

Guest Taxed

My toner is running low right now. Crap cartridge from Office Depot. I know I didn't get near as many copes ad the HP brand and it only cost $20 less. I hope some of the vendors you mention have fast shipping. I'm still getting in new clients. That don't mind extensions. I think I'm gonna be busy for a while this summer.

I just got an e-mail from Fillserv. They have a 15% coupon and free shipping. it is www.fillserv.com

I do my own and have all Brother printers in my office and the firm's office. 3 printers and a fax machine all use the same cart at the firm. Refill toner $10 per. A little messy, but even the refilled carts from companies are many times as expensive.

I even replace the rollers in the drum assemblies. Replacement roller $25. New replacement drum $140-$180. Same amount of life from the replacement as the original.

Brother printers! Get yours today and save on toner!!!

New printers almost always come with starter cartridges that have less toner. This is because the printer manufacturers sell the printers so cheap that they often aren't making money on printer sales, but are on cartridge sales. This is the Old Gillette Razor sales promotion: "Give away the razor and sell the blades".

New printers almost always come with starter cartridges that have less toner. This is because the printer manufacturers sell the printers so cheap that they often aren't making money on printer sales, but are on cartridge sales. This is the Old Gillette Razor sales promotion: "Give away the razor and sell the blades".

LOL after I registered for selective service, I received a free razor and shaving lotion from Gillette, I am not going to lie but the razor lasted me about 19 years until my wife or daughter step on it.

Guest Taxed

LOL after I registered for selective service, I received a free razor and shaving lotion from Gillette, I am not going to lie but the razor lasted me about 19 years until my wife or daughter step on it.

I still have my Gillette razor, circa 1977. Can't find the blades that fit them, the double edge type That baby was made with brass or some other metal and not the cheap plastic razors today are made.

Still using an old Trac II. I don't remember when they came out but I've had it since then.

My new printer seems to need a new cartridge more frequently. I don't want to do what Jack does. I do order from Quill and usually get a $20 off coupon. It helps a little. And after the busy season, I won't need to replace as often.

Guest Taxed

Most laser printers these days have a Toner Save Option in the setup menu. Try that. I did and I can tell the printing is slightly lighter but the toner usage is less too.

If you have the time and expertise then refilling may be the least expensive. my son refills his inkjet and he tried a toner but it started streaking so we just buy the generic brand from the least expensive vendor on the internet.

• Like 1

Most laser printers these days have a Toner Save Option in the setup menu. Try that. I did and I can tell the printing is slightly lighter but the toner usage is less too.

If you have the time and expertise then refilling may be the least expensive. my son refills his inkjet and he tried a toner but it started streaking so we just buy the generic brand from the least expensive vendor on the internet.

If you have ever had a refilled cartridge "blow" inside your printer, you would never try it again. This would be laser toner (everywhere). I didn't refill it, but purchased it. I am very happy with the generic cartridges that I use in my HP and they actually seem to last longer than the branded ones.

If you have ever had a refilled cartridge "blow" inside your printer, you would never try it again. This would be laser toner (everywhere). I didn't refill it, but purchased it. I am very happy with the generic cartridges that I use in my HP and they actually seem to last longer than the branded ones.

I have refilled over 100 laser toner carts. No explosions or even big leaks. Brother brand is the way to go!!

Jack from Ohio you are the man! How do you reset that stupid toner gear to make the printer think it is a new cartridge? My son refilled one cartridge but the printer still has a low toner message!

It depends on the printer. Some printers have a little window in the toner cart so that the printer can "visually" inspect the toner level. Other printers actually count prints and tell you the toner is low based entirely on that number. Either way, there is almost always lots of toner left in the cartridge when your printer tells you otherwise.

And because there's lots of money in consumables, printer manufacturers are making it harder and harder to fool the printers into printing anyway. Sometimes you can place a little bit of electrical tape over the window, but I think newer Canon printers even encrypt information on a small chip built into the toner cartridge to make it more difficult to do refills. Many refill kits now come with replacement chips to hack the cartridge with.

My mom's Brother has a specific song and dance you have to do to reset the counter.. open the tray, hold down some buttons, stand on one foot, hop up and down, etc. Your best bet is to Google your specific printer model to find out what kind of ritual needs to be performed.