ATX Community

BOY!...It's still HOT....................

Elrod

Q: What does a bee do when it is hot?......... A: He takes off his yellow jacket!
Q: How hot is it in Southern California?............ A: So hot every fat guy sweating in the city smells like Bacon!
Q: What happened after mom purchased a loaf of bread ?............. A: By the time she got home it was toast!
Q: What do you need to visit Death Valley, Arizona? ............A: Dental Records.
Q: What are the only two seasons in Phoenix, Arizona? .............A: Hot and Hotter.
Q: What did the one pig say to the other at the beach? ...............A: I'm bakeon!
Q: Which is faster, heat or cold? ..........A: Heat, because you can catch a cold!
How hot is it?
I saw a dog chasing a cat and they were both walkin'
hot water now comes out of both taps.
you actually burn your hand opening the car door.
the birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.
you realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

• Like 1

Thanks for the smiles - hot here in Cincinnati, too. Supposed to get to 93-94, already in mid to upper 80's.

We've been in the mid-90's -- with dew points in the mid-70's -- for a couple of weeks now, with the occasional one or two day break. By 9AM we're usually in the mid to upper 80's. I have to go out to pick my raspberries super-early or super-late, since I have to wear long pants due to the prickles all along the stems. Not to mention protection from the few stinging nettles hiding under the canes where I can't see them or get at them to pull them out.

Fortunately we have had breezes every day, which makes it far more tolerable. And we're getting tons of raspberries this year.

93 outside right now and 73 in. The Air Conditioner repairman just left. It was unbearable in this office yesterday at this time. Acting up for a couple of weeks; compressor finally gave out. Yeah! It's fixed! ;) When I was a kid, nobody knew what air conditioning was. It almost makes you feel guilty.......ALMOST!

My office (a former porch with too many poor-quality windows and too little insulation) is the coldest room in the house all winter -- and the hottest all summer. On average, it's perfect! We keep the house AC set at 78F; here in the office it runs about 6 degrees warmer. Except in the mid to late afternoon, when the sun bumps it another 2-3 degrees.

At least it's a *dry* heat with the AC taking out the worst of the humidity. And I have a ceiling fan.

But it's funny; I sit here all winter with a blanket on my lap and fingerless gloves on my hands and a wool shawl over my shoulders (62F is common in here in the winter; that's COLD for sitting still) -- then tank top and shorts all summer.

My office (a former porch with too many poor-quality windows and too little insulation) is the coldest room in the house all winter -- and the hottest all summer. On average, it's perfect! We keep the house AC set at 78F; here in the office it runs about 6 degrees warmer. Except in the mid to late afternoon, when the sun bumps it another 2-3 degrees.

At least it's a *dry* heat with the AC taking out the worst of the humidity. And I have a ceiling fan.

But it's funny; I sit here all winter with a blanket on my lap and fingerless gloves on my hands and a wool shawl over my shoulders (62F is common in here in the winter; that's COLD for sitting still) -- then tank top and shorts all summer.

I had the same issue in my office; lots of windows that drafted like crazy. Solution: upgraded to dual pane triple E windows. Made a HUGE difference! My 'client' office was unbearable in the summer even with the a/c running full blast and it's only 8x10. Now it stays cool unless it's in the high 90's. And I don't have central heat or A/C, so no drafts in the winter & keeping out the sun in summer is important.

I had the same issue in my office; lots of windows that drafted like crazy. Solution: upgraded to dual pane triple E windows. Made a HUGE difference! My 'client' office was unbearable in the summer even with the a/c running full blast and it's only 8x10. Now it stays cool unless it's in the high 90's. And I don't have central heat or A/C, so no drafts in the winter & keeping out the sun in summer is important.

If it was up to me alone, I would have re-done the windows several years ago. But my husband has to "research" the right ones... sigh.

And the very eastern edge of Death Valley hits the Nevada line; they call that area Sandy Valley and it is near Goodsprings and Jean. I did the field work for my earth sciences degree out there in January/February of 1980. When Gwen & I came back from fiddle camp (in CA) in 2007, we stopped in Las Vegas for a day and among other things drove through that area so I could show her. Amazing how much looked the same and how much I remembered -- and how much was different!

Guest Taxed

I don't remember summers like this 50 years back and I have lived in New England all my life. We used to have 4 seasons. Now it is down to 3 most of the years.

Is this global warming??

I have lived in Mass all my life and well remember the summer of 1975. I was in summer school, taking a class required for MIT admission that my school did not offer. Classes were held in Back Bay (Boston) in the old brick townhouses, with NO air conditioning. My house, when I returned there, was also not air conditioned. Nor were the Green Line or Red Line subway cars.

That summer the Copley Square thermometer read 103 -104F time and time again all summer. Overnight lows were plummeting to the mid-80's if we were lucky (and warmer indoors, of course).

Can you say swelter?

This summer is hot, definitely. But it is surely not the worst I've seen.

We had days and weeks like this when we were kids, but nobody had heard of air conditioning or ceiling fans; so nobody missed them. The summer storms seemed to be so much more terrifying then, too. I don't remember ever seeing my Grandma without a dress AND apron, long stockings and shoes on. She also cooked three meals on a wood stove and I don't remember ever hearing her complain about the heat. Things were what they were. If you got to go to a pool, you were lucky. More likely it was a pond or a creek. Nevertheless, those were the happy days of summer. Air conditioned homes, schools and workplaces have us spoiled. And, who ever heard of a heat advisory. Come to think of it, who ever heard of a TV?

We've come a long way people. (Not that I'm complaining)

Guest Taxed

Only in the overactive imagination of liberals with some hidden agenda.

No hidden agenda, just scientific proof, like polar snow caps melting at a faster rate, ocean temp rising, wild shifts in jetstream paths and weather patterns to name a few.

You can deny or ignore the scientific proof and be ignorant!

No hidden agenda, just scientific proof, like polar snow caps melting at a faster rate, ocean temp rising, wild shifts in jetstream paths and weather patterns to name a few.

You can deny or ignore the scientific proof and be ignorant!

So you are going to go on to say that man has anything to do with it? Long term scientific studies recently done fly directly in the face of the "Man Made Global Warming" hoax by showing that in the last 50 years there has be about a 1 degree COOLING. All the scientific "data" that was used to start the "Man Made Warming" hoax has been shown to have been modified, or parts omitted to meet the theory.

I have seen this kind of weather dozens of times in the 56 years I have been here.

Anyone that thinks man is large enough to have more than a nuisance effect of global weather patterns also believed in Y2K, black helicopters with blue helmeted troops in them, tracking devices in the security strips of $100 bills, viruses in jet contrails and Obamacare will be good for America. All from the same mindset.

• Like 1

So you are going to go on to say that man has anything to do with it? Long term scientific studies recently done fly directly in the face of the "Man Made Global Warming" hoax by showing that in the last 50 years there has be about a 1 degree COOLING. All the scientific "data" that was used to start the "Man Made Warming" hoax has been shown to have been modified, or parts omitted to meet the theory.

I have seen this kind of weather dozens of times in the 56 years I have been here.

Anyone that thinks man is large enough to have more than a nuisance effect of global weather patterns also believed in Y2K, black helicopters with blue helmeted troops in them, tracking devices in the security strips of $100 bills, viruses in jet contrails and Obamacare will be good for America. All from the same mindset.

The "proof" taxed speaks about has all been refuted. The Gore movie is not allowed to shown in schools in the UK as it was proven, in court, in the UK, that the data was falsified and the conclusions NOT proven.

http://youtu.be/4zOXmJ4jd-8

for those interested in fact.

Lord Monckton, speaking in St Paul, gives the as-falsified data, the REAL data -- and the sources of those data. Almost all of which are publicly available if one wishes to check for oneself.

Religious zealots will decry any attempt to introduce rationality into the discussion.

• Like 2

We had days and weeks like this when we were kids, but nobody had heard of air conditioning or ceiling fans; so nobody missed them. The summer storms seemed to be so much more terrifying then, too. I don't remember ever seeing my Grandma without a dress AND apron, long stockings and shoes on. She also cooked three meals on a wood stove and I don't remember ever hearing her complain about the heat. Things were what they were. If you got to go to a pool, you were lucky. More likely it was a pond or a creek. Nevertheless, those were the happy days of summer. Air conditioned homes, schools and workplaces have us spoiled. And, who ever heard of a heat advisory. Come to think of it, who ever heard of a TV?

We've come a long way people. (Not that I'm complaining)

I remember helping my grandmother can tomatoes in August. Zorching our hands on the blanched tomatoes to peel the skins, chopping them, fillings the jars, standing over the boiling kettle... My grandmother would have on her dress, apron, long stockings, and shoes too -- but she rolled her stockings down to the ankles on those occasions and tucked them into themselves in little knots the likes of which I never learned how to twist. It remains a mystery.

Took a walk last night in the twilight and remarked for the gazillionth time that no one goes out at night. Time was, to escape the heat of the house (while it was trying to cool down will all windows and doors wide open), folks would sit on stoops and in lawn chairs, while the kids ran around playing. Neighbors would wander by, and folks would take it easy and catch up with various doings. Now we all stay in our air conditioned bubbles, hiding, and not knowing who lives next door. Love my AC but we have also lost out.

• Like 2