ATX Community

Anyone else into gardening?

ILLMAS

What a masterpiece! And Margaret, if you have deer don't even bother thinking about serious gardening. I have to put bird netting over the tomato plants because they eat every single growing tip. This year my sedum is finally being allowed to bloom because I put stakes around it and strung fishing line around them. The deer tend to feed at night when they can't see the line, and once they hit it they don't know what they're up against so leave it alone. I HATE deer, even though others think they're so cute and peaceful. I consider them garden terrorists.

• Like 1

We are into gardening big time; but nothing classy as that. That is a dream city garden. Mine are all cottage gardens and I do a lot with arbors, but we have forty acres with about five of it being lawn and gardens. The rest is forest. Good Job There MAS.

What a beautiful garden!!

And SaraEA I agree with you completely; deer are garden terrorists. It's also amazing the amount of damage chipmunks can do; they ate the roots of one of my roses out completely, from the *bottom* - I only discovered it (complete with teethmarks) when the rose died and I went to dig it up. There was nothing to dig; a skin of root only a 1/4" into the dirt - everything else was gone.

My garden is mainly ornamental and this is the first year we've had really noticeable deer problems (last year just a tiny bit). Last year's problem was turkeys, so I put up a 4' fence around my veggie garden. Deer got in (it's only a hop for them) and ate most of my bean plants, squashed a heavy metal fence post like it was a toothpick, then got caught in the trellis and dragged the entire trellis and two of its three posts out into the front yard, where it finally got loose. Hasn't been back inside that garden but it (or another) did nibble some bean tendrils that got outside the fence a couple weeks later.

This year it is not just the deer in the garden.... my biggest problem are the ground hogs (woodchucks) that like to eat everything I plant!! And the dug under the grandchildren's playhouse to have their young..... Grrrrr! Tried everything on the market... even live traps...They even eat my Gloriosa Daisies...

Taxtrio

• Like 1

What a beautiful garden!!

And SaraEA I agree with you completely; deer are garden terrorists. It's also amazing the amount of damage chipmunks can do; they ate the roots of one of my roses out completely, from the *bottom* - I only discovered it (complete with teethmarks) when the rose died and I went to dig it up. There was nothing to dig; a skin of root only a 1/4" into the dirt - everything else was gone.

My garden is mainly ornamental and this is the first year we've had really noticeable deer problems (last year just a tiny bit). Last year's problem was turkeys, so I put up a 4' fence around my veggie garden. Deer got in (it's only a hop for them) and ate most of my bean plants, squashed a heavy metal fence post like it was a toothpick, then got caught in the trellis and dragged the entire trellis and two of its three posts out into the front yard, where it finally got loose. Hasn't been back inside that garden but it (or another) did nibble some bean tendrils that got outside the fence a couple weeks later.

That sounds more like a bear than deer. Also, beware moles, gophers and raccoons. Ribbons are keeping the deer out of our veg garden, but turkeys are eating the blueberries. I caught a mom and eight chicks picking blueberries one evening last week (on camera). Always remember, we are invading their territory and they have to eat too. (Not that thinking that will make you less angry.)

A former neighbor who was into vegetable gardning, had his 2 dogs pee at the perimeter of his patch (some critters will stay out supposedly) and also sprayed the fruits with a mild solution of vinegar to keep the critters from nibbling on them.

I just plant rosemary, basil, thyme, parsley in pots and keep it on my back deck. No critter problem.