ATX Community

NT-What do you do when.........?

MsTabbyKats

This isn't tax, but sort of tax.

I have a very greedy friend. She has to "beat the system" and "win" in all situations. I know she thinks it makes her look smart....but it really makes her (to me anyway) look like a dishonest super greedy person. (She hoards $$$. She's got tons....yet rarely spends.)

Here's an example. She likes fine dining. Yet, somehow...she often finds hair in her food (of course, she only mentions it after she's done.)

The list of greed extends to: medicare, NYC rent, NYS unemployment, NYC parking....and somehow she gets away with murder. Of course, she is chronically anxious and losing her hair....but she beats the system.

Now, we come to tax.....gets paid cash, reports nothing. I'd say she gets about $25,000 annually for babysitting....but 2013 will be about $75,000. She has been taking money from her mother to care for her (her mother is in very bad condition)....and the mother will claim $50,000 in medical care expense on her Schedule A.

Here's my problem ........

She's always trying to confirm with me that she "beat the tax system"....that the IRS isn't checking her e-mails (she's totally anxious because she's afraid of them spying on her).....and she won't get in trouble.

My response is generally...."Yes. You can get in trouble."....and I change the topic.

In addition....she always says "I'm telling you this in confidence"....to all her greedy adventures.

Here's my question. I really don't care what she does....but I don't want to hear about it. It makes me lose respect for her.

What's a nice way of saying...."Please don't tell me."?

Right now I'm so sick and tired of this that I avoid her phone calls..........

I have a very greedy friend. She has to "beat the system" and "win" in all situations. I know she thinks it makes her look smart....but it really makes her (to me anyway) look like a dishonest super greedy person. (She hoards $$$. She's got tons....yet rarely spends.)

Here's an example. She likes fine dining. Yet, somehow...she often finds hair in her food (of course, she only mentions it after she's done.)

The list of greed extends to: medicare, NYC rent, NYS unemployment, NYC parking....and somehow she gets away with murder. Of course, she is chronically anxious and losing her hair....but she beats the system.

Now, we come to tax.....gets paid cash, reports nothing. I'd say she gets about $25,000 annually for babysitting....but 2013 will be about $75,000. She has been taking money from her mother to care for her (her mother is in very bad condition)....and the mother will claim $50,000 in medical care expense on her Schedule A.

Here's my problem ........

She's always trying to confirm with me that she "beat the tax system"....that the IRS isn't checking her e-mails (she's totally anxious because she's afraid of them spying on her).....and she won't get in trouble.

My response is generally...."Yes. You can get in trouble."....and I change the topic.

In addition....she always says "I'm telling you this in confidence"....to all her greedy adventures.

Here's my question. I really don't care what she does....but I don't want to hear about it. It makes me lose respect for her.

What's a nice way of saying...."Please don't tell me."?

Right now I'm so sick and tired of this that I avoid her phone calls..........

You should review the updated Circular 230 then fire her. If you KNOW and do not report, you are in violation.

If she were my *friend* I'd tell her that what she is doing is fraudulent, evasion of taxes, lying, and whatever other descriptive words I'd attach to the personal tactics of getting things for free like the hair in the food when dining out, and then I'd tell her that I'm not going to listen to it any more. After I said my piece, I'd hang up the phone or leave if this was a face to face. I would not want this person as a friend.

• Like 2

MsTabbykats you will be playing with fire that will BURN you too if you prepare her tax return. You know the reasons why.

I may have mentioned before that I do not do the tax return of one of my cousins for similar reasons because he thinks he knows more about taxes than me. He also reads that book how to not pay taxes??

Stay away from this woman when it comes to tax issues.

I'd say she gets about $25,000 annually for babysitting....but 2013 will be about $75,000. She has been taking money from her mother to care for her (her mother is in very bad condition)....and the mother will claim $50,000 in medical care expense on her Schedule A.

I would decline to prepare the mother's return claiming high "medical expenses" paid to a daughter who is not a medical practitioner with an established business.

I don't do....have not been asked to do...and would never do her tax return....lol....I have more PITAs than I need already.

Here's another example of her greed.

I didn't even know these accounts exist anymore...but her mother has stock in "mom/friend's name" and "mom/friend's sister's name". Both accounts are "MOM &......" (not either/or)....they get paid quarterly dividends and both MOM & Daughter have to sign the check. When the check comes for MOM & HER SISTER, my friend forges the sister's name, and the drives about 40 miles to the only bank that will cash the check. (The bank where she grew up and mom/sister have a joint account....which is also Mom AND Sister). The sister is unaware of this.

LOL...I'm just venting....after her NYC parking scam that she "told me in confidence".

I have always wonder how people can rack up so much wealth, it's usually the cheap ones that picks up a penny from the ground and takes the same paper lunch to work everyday.

Yep....neither she nor her husband ever had a job that paid a decent salary.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they are EIC, or were, before the son grew up. And I know she has at least 2 million in Vanguard....with accounts is Fidelity and other places. She probably regrets the day she told me her Vanguard status. BTW...it's all in tax free stuff...that never goes on her return.

LOL...I'm just venting....after her NYC parking scam that she "told me in confidence".

She sounds like a gossip. People do gossip about themselves. Sometimes it's a cry for help, if (in a different scenario) you needed to rationalize ratting out your friend. Since right now you just want to protect your own professional sensibilities, etiquette allows you to interrupt with a lame joke about charging her for tax consultation. You might have to do that several times before she gets it. Handing her a business card is a nice touch.

Anybody got a suggestion for the lame joke??

Can you find out how she beat NYC parking ticket?

I stopped driving to NYC because evert time I park there with great difficulty I end up with a parking ticket??

She doesn't beat a ticket.

There is construction by her building (2nd ave subway)....and they moved the parking signs. But, the sign was put about a car length from where the construction is. For 2 years she squeezed her car into this "legal?" spot. If she had to move the car "the doorman" did something (I assume put his car there) so no one else could get HER spot. Then the doorman got a summons...so he went to court. He couldn't beat the summons. She found her tires slashed 2 times, which she is sure the meter maid did (???). Anyway....now she sits in her car 3 times a week for 90 minutes to wait street cleaning to end and get a spot. She said "I'm not paying $500/month for a garage."

Meanwhile, medicare sends her help for mom...but she has a choice...she (or someone) has to be with mom 24/7....or lose the services. Mom is upstairs...alone. (Mom is almost blind, almost deaf and cannot control her bladder or bowels. She also has no short term memory.)

I just found out about the car thing last week...so I can only imagine how many things I don't know.

I have a very greedy friend. She has to "beat the system" and "win" in all situations. I know she thinks it makes her look smart....but it really makes her (to me anyway) look like a dishonest super greedy person...

The worst problem with her is that people will assume YOU are in on it somehow. Just look at the comments here. You said absolutely nothing that indicated you prepared her or her mother's taxes, yet people who oughta know not to assume did exactly that.

Wow...I just thought of something......

Next time she tells me in confidence how brilliant she is because of her newest scam...I could say..."Wow...if I did that I'd be losing my hair too."

(I only mention the tax stuff because we are tax people. It goes way beyond tax.)

Well...thanks for letting me vent.

And Rita...thanks for pointing out how people thought I was "taxwise" involved with her.

The worst problem with her is that people will assume YOU are in on it somehow. Just look at the comments here. You said absolutely nothing that indicated you prepared her or her mother's taxes, yet people who oughta know not to assume did exactly that.

I think the assumptions were reasonable and did not go as far as you suggest. In the original post, "my problem" was stated in terms of the professional knowledge. Details included information stated as facts that required personal knowledge of the tax returns. Even so, I don't see any response about preparing a return. Just the opposite, which we all seem to agree on.

>>> I just have to wonder why you actually want to keep her as a friend?

We all know people who we were good friends at a time and later we find out things about them that causes us some concern, but it is difficult to drop them cold like a stranger.

My college roommate who I was friends with for many years, confided in me that she had an affair with her boss. Obviously I was upset since her husband is such a sweet guy. I kept my mouth shut since it is not my business to butt in their marriage, but every time I see them at the reunion dance, I just think it is so phoney??

Taxed, you make my point. You used to be friends, but now, knowing that about her, you apparently keep your distance and only see her occasionally, at public events like the reunion dance. That is just what I'd expect, you are uncomfortable with knowing what a phoney she is. If you knew she was also abusing her ill parent, I'm pretty sure you would not be having regular chats with her.

OMG....I never said she was abusing her mother. I said someone is supposed to be with her mother 24/7....but she takes breaks and leaves her mother alone for a couple of hours for "greedy purposes". IMHO...she is wasting her life taking care of her mother....instead of putting mom in a home. Mom cannot control her bowels...friend spends hours every day cleaning the bathroom, the carpet, the mother......YUCK!!!!! She considers sitting in the car "her break". If she needs to go out for more than 2 hours she hires an 80 year old woman to watch mom. Otherwise, she's mopping up after mom, taking mom to the doctor etc....constantly. Not much of a life...if you ask me.

It's the greed again....she gets paid...by the mother....for the care. So, instead of she & sister splitting mother's money upon mother's death....she gets some of it now....and there's less to split later.

Why am I her friend? I met her 27 years ago...when our sons were 6 weeks old. At age five I had issues....couldn't deal with her (nothing to do with greed....more like parenting issues) and we just went our own ways. After the sons grew up...about 3 years ago....we got in touch and she was like the sister I never had. Over the course of time "the greed stuff" surfaced. It makes me lose respect for her....but I want to keep her as a friend (friends are really hard to find...people who would be there for you when you need someone...and she is that)....I just don't want to hear about her "conquests over the system".

Just my opinion, from what you have described it appears this woman has a flaw that is very deep rooted "Greed" that she will screw her own family. I know many sisters who don't see eye to eye on family issues, but to steal like that is rare.

I think if you don't listen to her "conquests" she will go away because I think she gets a 'high" when she tells you that.