ATX Community

pricing atx

TAXMAN

My client base has been reducing itself by "natural causes" for the last few years. Two or three years ago I went to " pay per return." After "the add ons" my renewal was $100 more than last year AND I was told, via email, no early discount was available on the PRS system. I never have been contacted to renew. I went with Drake.

I received a renewal notice at full price and no defferred payment after being a customer since they began way back. Anyone else experience this or what renewal notice have been able to obtain?

Probably a standard form letter sent to customers.

If you read the posts here people are paying on the average $995 with deferred payment. One poster even gave the name of the sales person by the name of Vankleef (sic) to contact to get the deal.

sucks that buying a tax program is now like buying a car - you have to negotiate and hope you get a good salesperson willing to work with you. At least with a car you can just walk and go to a different dealer.

when I was deciding what to do for 2012 I priced lacerate with 2 different sales people and the prices were about $1000 apart.

• Like 1

sucks that buying a tax program is now like buying a car - you have to negotiate and hope you get a good salesperson willing to work with you. At least with a car you can just walk and go to a different dealer.

when I was deciding what to do for 2012 I priced lacerate with 2 different sales people and the prices were about $1000 apart.

In support of Drake i got to tell you that their sales people were only apart by $100. I think Drake gives them that little discretion.

Going forward you will have to just tell them that you are ready to walk unless you get a good deal and see what happens.

Don't you think ATX could have gained some trust back by giving the promotional rate to all previous users automatically instead of them having to find out from other sources and asking for it. I call that trickery!

• Like 2

I tried asking for the sales rep mentioned here but my call was automatically routed to the assigned sales person and my sales rep said that all promotions ended on 10/31/2013. When I pressed the issue that I have been a faithful client since 2002, they offered me either 10% discount or deferred payment but not the both and that point it was basically take it or leave it type of situation..

Send an e-mail to Mr. Marx letting him know that you have been a long time client. Last year was a disaster and if they care to have you as a client for next season you want the promotional deal or you will consider other options that are readily available.

I tried asking for the sales rep mentioned here but my call was automatically routed to the assigned sales person and my sales rep said that all promotions ended on 10/31/2013. When I pressed the issue that I have been a faithful client since 2002, they offered me either 10% discount or deferred payment but not the both and that point it was basically take it or leave it type of situation..

With just the 10% discount what was the final price $995??

It was $ 1,124.00 plus 8% sales tax. Even though our sales tax is 7%. The problem is that my zip code divide two counties. One 8% sales tax county and mine 7% sales tax county. I tried to tell them that I live in 7% sales tax county but sales rep said ATX system goes by zip code and my zip code is showing 8% sales tax so that is what I have to pay. .

Did you pay 7% or 8% tax last year? If they want to charge you more this year complain with your full zip code (zip + 4).

If it was me I would escalate the matter to get the promotional deal. This means calling and talking to the sales manager or even Mr. Marx if you can get to him.

What are folks on the official forum saying about the pricing flexibility?

Unless the 10% discount is also temporary, you would be better off waiting for the actual release of the software and finding out from folks here before you put your credit card down.

I normally just ask if they have any discounts. If they say no, I call the next day and if I get the same answer, I place the order. I normally wait until December 20th.

I don't like when my clients ask for discounts when I don't have any available. I give them the price and I expect to be paid that amount.

What are folks on the official forum saying about the pricing flexibility?

Since 10/15 the official forum has been pretty quiet as far as new postings and the number of participants go. I think this forum has had more activity than the official one has had lately. It almost seems deserted.

Wonder what would have been the result if they had offered a simple, straightforward discount policy across the board, treating everyone equally. Perhaps something along the lines of 1% for every year you've been a customer, plus 1% for every month you renew early, with a maximum discount of 10% (or 8%, or 12% - whatever they felt they could live with).

Retention would probably have been higher and all customers would have known they were on a level playing field. Long-term customers would feel that their loyalty was being rewarded, shorter-term customers would still get some recognition, and everyone would have control over some aspect of their discount by taking the early renewal.

Discounts are a shell game, because you cant discount below your target price and stay in business very long. So all companies set their prices taking into account the discounts they know they are going to have to offer to some customers, while being unfair to those who are too timid to ask and thus feel treated unfairly. A discount policy based on loyalty, coupled with a second appreciation for their being willing to commit early and part with their money, makes sense to anyone and empowers the customer. That last part (empowering the customer) is the most important thing you can do in business.

• Like 2

As far as giving an incentive to renew early and a years of use discount seems logical. I don't charge the current rates to my longtime customers and they know that because when they refer a friend/family they can see the difference.

I would rather retain a good customer than go hunting for a new one by advertising etc.

• Like 1

All of the posts that were in this thread that relate to raising our fees, notifying clients about that, giving discounts, have been moved to a new topic of its own since I thought it was important enough to have its own title apart from this one about ATX pricing.

Look for the topic "Raising fees, notifying clients, giving loyalty or other discounts, etc."